XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Bad News & a Sad Day for me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts
Unhappy Bad News & a Sad Day for me.

Hello Chaps, I hope you are all well. I have had some bad news today which as a consequence looks like my XJ8 will soon be for sale.

Basically my insurance renewal came through and it has gone through the roof. It has gone up by almost £500! I have spent almost the last 6 hours searching for cheaper quotes and can not find one that is cheap enough. My renewal quote is well over £1000! I have rung them and asked and all they say is "its the rates" but I don't see how this could be the case. I am a Professional Driver with over 7 years driving & no claims but that doesn't seem to matter. I can neither afford or justify the price which I have currently been quoted. It is so sad for me to have to look at my beautiful car which I have spent so much time & money caring for and know that I can't keep it.

I will now have to consider my next move, but it looks like (for now anyway) I'll have to look a more affordable car.

I know this is not a technical post but I just wanted to get this off my chest to someone.
Thanks Guys.
Stu.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

Whow Stu,

that sounds horrible!!!

Even in our country - where the costs of living usually seem to be higher than in other countrys I have just to pay about 300 Euros/Year for the car insurance of my Jag.

A £1000/Year seems absurd !!!

Isn't there a way around that bill?
Is it perhaps possible to register the car on someone who gets a better rate (e.g. your grandmom) or someone you know?

To let the Jag go just because of that *******ous act of legislative seems to be more than unfair!

I hope all the best for you!

David

Old 01-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Sorry to hear -- Just don't move to New York or New Jersey in the States.

I was quoted 5k USD one year in Philadelphia. PA.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt

Not much better in south east Georgia. We pay $225 a month and I don't have kids at home anymore.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt

With the value of the dollar today isn't that like a 1000 pounds?

That just seems bizzarre they basically doubled it without any "black marks" on your record.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

@ David: I've thought about every way possible around this bill but if I was a named driver on another policy I'd lose my no claims bonus, which I need really. It is a stupidly big bill, but we have just had a VAT rise to 20% here which is far too much and I think has something to do with it.

@benebob: I agree I see no reason why they felt they needed to double the price, especially when my driving record and occupation shows that I'm not an unhinged lunatic with a death wish!

I'll keep you posted with any developments. If my car does go on the market, tit will be mid February.
S.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Is there a mandatory high level of coverage in the UK? In my case, for a 2001 XJ8 VDP, I just carry the minimum legally required liability insurance. I got the car cheap enough that if it is seriously damaged, I will just walk away. Anyhow, my annual bill is WAY less than $1000.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Boomer -- not sure what the current minimums are in MA - but the state required minimums are not damage insurance they are for personal liability to protect you from financial loss.

Some states are as low as 15k

Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Yeldogt -
Yes, I know. I was just speculating that in the UK maybe some form of comprehensive or collision insurance was mandatory, in addition to liability. That would certainly run the cost way up.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

@boomer, yes there's 3rd party fire and theft as the minimum requirement - I don't know if Stu will loose his no claims by paying the basic, in theory it shouldn't matter as long as covered.
Maybe another way is insurance through the Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club, like Footman James they do a scheme, and if he mentions putting the Herald in with them, there's a deal there.
Failing that, advertise it on Pistonheads and in the Jaguar World/Enthusiast magazines?
Petrol is the demon in this mix, I guess the insurance companies have decided on a hike because of what Stu says about the dreaded vat and the knock on effect of fuel prices.
A dark day indeed brother, there must be away to keep it Stu.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Cant you buy a second old 'beater' car and then the jag becomes secondary, making the rate on it plummet? I saw that tip on Wheeler Dealers.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.3 KB

Stu, presumably you've checked out moneysupermarket.com or Gocompare or similar where they check out 150 insurers for you? There's no way your insurance should double through no fault of your own and if you play around enough and slightly alter some of the details online I'm sure you will get the price you need.
My 17 yr old son paid £1500 to cover a Renault Clio 1.2, just passed his test , no NO claims bonus etc etc........Your insurer is taking the michael I think!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member

@SeanB: I've looked at every way possible and still can't work out whats gone wrong. I have tried quotes for more "normal" cars like old VW Jettas & fiestas & they are lower but still around the £500 mark! WTF? I was paying less than that before I sold my fiesta to buy the Jag! Its this government I reckon.

@H20Boy: I already have a second car (not a beater) a 1971 Triumph Herald Convertible. That is insured with Classic insurance which means I have a limited mileage but pay an awful lot less than a normal car.

@JimC64: I agree with what you say. In my job I meet a lot of college students who are looking at getting their own wheels but find out they can't because they're being quoted 3 times the value of their cars to insure them. i.e. a girl was quoted £2200 to insure a VW Polo and one lad was looking at nearly £3000 to insure a Mk3 golf diesel. As I said to Sean I blame this current stupid government and their antiquated class system!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That's horrible and unacceptable any any means and makes no sense at all

Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Hello Chaps, I hope you are all well. I have had some bad news today which as a consequence looks like my XJ8 will soon be for sale.

Basically my insurance renewal came through and it has gone through the roof. It has gone up by almost £500! I have spent almost the last 6 hours searching for cheaper quotes and can not find one that is cheap enough. My renewal quote is well over £1000! I have rung them and asked and all they say is "its the rates" but I don't see how this could be the case. I am a Professional Driver with over 7 years driving & no claims but that doesn't seem to matter. I can neither afford or justify the price which I have currently been quoted. It is so sad for me to have to look at my beautiful car which I have spent so much time & money caring for and know that I can't keep it.

I will now have to consider my next move, but it looks like (for now anyway) I'll have to look a more affordable car.

I know this is not a technical post but I just wanted to get this off my chest to someone.
Thanks Guys.
Stu.

Noooo! We can't lose you from the jag forum man! Sorry I can't help as my car is not insured in my name and its insured in Texas but I'm in MA. Its cheaper as a result.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Stu

Thats not good mate. Seems strange that it suddenly shot up like that. Mine is ~1200USD for both the XJR and the XJS here in CA, but it is coming down each year now because I am gradually building up good driver credits/no claims, etc.

Being philosophical about it, I guess you need to work out how much enjoyment the car gives you v's the increased cost, assuming you can afford it. I have very clever ways of "justifying" my Jaguar spending to myself and at the end of the day, as long as it's not a choice between the Jags and the house, I doubt if I would be able to walk away from them because of the time investment I have made in them, and the fun I have with them.

Can you do something and limit the miles on the jag ? (I think I remember you have a second smaller car also)

Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts
Thumbs down Insurance

That is criminal. I won't get started on insurance. I tell them that I don't drive my car to work and put less than 3,000 miles on it annually. That is basically true. But, I've been paying car insurance of $500 - $1,000 a year for 35 years or so and the S0Bs have maybe paid out a couple hundred over that period of time.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Default There is hope yet...

Originally Posted by burmaz
Noooo! We can't lose you from the jag forum man!
It's nice to know I'm wanted! LOL

Anyway-There could be light at the end of the tunnel here which could mean I get to keep my XJ8. I have spoken to a friend of my Dad's who is an insurance broker (I forgot about him ) and he is convinced I should be able to get the car on a "Classic Car" Policy.

There will be some restrictions e.g. limited mileage but the seems to be a lot of pros like Free Break down cover, Agreed Value and it is comprehensive!

I'll keep you posted guys, because I deffo want to keep my kitty!!!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurence is just another "fee" we pay for the "previlige of driving. I guess its a GREAT privy to drive a jag. Here in FL. I'm paying about 1400/yr. on insurence. In two years of coverage I'll have paid what I paid for the car. Go figure.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Default Good News At Last!

I have managed to source insurance at a VERY good price for my XJ8. I am very happy with this and am looking forward to many more miles in my wonderful car.

I'd like to thank all of you for your help and support during my recent low feelings regarding this matter.

Now I've got to fight the extortionate petrol prices we're faced with in Britain. At the time of writing it is currently £1.30 a litre ($2.06) or £6.50 a gallon ($10.31)

Thanks Again Peeps!

Quick Reply: Bad News & a Sad Day for me.