XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Bad people drive jaguars---

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bad people drive jaguars---

For the 2nd time this month, I've overheard folks talking about people that drive jaguars. It's the NUTTIEST thing I've ever heard.

The first was last week when I pulled up I'm my s type-- silver 2007, mind you. Nice little simple car. I get out and see two 20-something's look at me, and then one says to the other, "probably a drug dealer or something..." I thought they were crazy and went on my way. Then, JUST TODAY I'm driving around in the same jag, get out if the car and a lady next to me in the grocery store parking lot says, "nice car, but we don't want any trouble."
?!?!?! WHAT?! I'm the nicest guy. Look like your average 40-something. Minding my own business. My silver s type us just a normal s-type! Not souped up, nothing fancy, no bling-- just a regular silver jag.
I was talking to some friends today and they too, said that people who drive jags are RICH and are known for being "in the mob." ?!?!? Are they SERIOUS?? That is the most IDIOTIC thing I've ever heard!
Where does this "bad boy" reputation come from with jaguars?? My other jag is a 2003 super v8-- if they would've seen me climb outta THAT I would've had the cops called on me FOR SURE!!
Is it TV that's giving this image of sketchiness? Hollywood? Am I just living in a strange place? (Utah-- gotta be it!) or is this a normal reaction for others?? It's mostly the 20-something's I hear this from......your thoughts??

The following 2 users liked this post by poodledoodledude:
princemarko (01-10-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by poodledoodledude
For the 2nd time this month, I've overheard folks talking about people that drive jaguars. It's the NUTTIEST thing I've ever heard.

The first was last week when I pulled up I'm my s type-- silver 2007, mind you. Nice little simple car. I get out and see two 20-something's look at me, and then one says to the other, "probably a drug dealer or something..." I thought they were crazy and went on my way. Then, JUST TODAY I'm driving around in the same jag, get out if the car and a lady next to me in the grocery store parking lot says, "nice car, but we don't want any trouble."
?!?!?! WHAT?! I'm the nicest guy. Look like your average 40-something. Minding my own business. My silver s type us just a normal s-type! Not souped up, nothing fancy, no bling-- just a regular silver jag.
I was talking to some friends today and they too, said that people who drive jags are RICH and are known for being "in the mob." ?!?!? Are they SERIOUS?? That is the most IDIOTIC thing I've ever heard!
Where does this "bad boy" reputation come from with jaguars?? My other jag is a 2003 super v8-- if they would've seen me climb outta THAT I would've had the cops called on me FOR SURE!!
Is it TV that's giving this image of sketchiness? Hollywood? Am I just living in a strange place? (Utah-- gotta be it!) or is this a normal reaction for others?? It's mostly the 20-something's I hear this from......your thoughts??
Hey dude....yeah, it must be Utah ;o]P
No, seriously, it's not the first time I have heard this and I am on the other side of the planet! ;o)=)
I would say TV etc is responsible for all this nonsense and as you know, it it's reapeated often enough it becomes gospel.....and I know how you Americans
just love gospel ;o)=)

The following 2 users liked this post by xjay8:
poodledoodledude (01-11-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

The 'Bad Boy' image stems from the fact every bank robber or aspiring villain back in the swinging 60's drove a 3.8 MKII, the ultimate getaway car. I think legend stems from this. Certainly here in the UK.
Nowadays these types drive S8 Audi's!

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean B:
A.J.P (05-05-2020), poodledoodledude (01-11-2014), Roldano (05-06-2020)
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Things like this all help to promote the image!

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Bad people drive jaguars----great_train..jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
A.J.P (05-05-2020), poodledoodledude (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I have never heard that before! The image that I see/hear is the "rich, old man" one, not the "bad boy" image!

Oh well, enjoy it, live vicariously, just don't cause any trouble!

The following users liked this post:
poodledoodledude (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
The 'Bad Boy' image stems from the fact every bank robber or aspiring villain back in the swinging 60's drove a 3.8 MKII, the ultimate getaway car. I think legend stems from this. Certainly here in the UK.

......later to be chased by two plain cloths sweeney in a brown Ford Granada !

The following 2 users liked this post by kyle04:
A.J.P (05-05-2020), poodledoodledude (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I think it's great, maybe they will be more careful and not ding the doors. And on another subject, do you find a body in the trunk adversely effects handling?

The following 5 users liked this post by Fulton:
A.J.P (05-05-2020), Captain K (01-13-2014), JZjaguar (05-08-2020), rocklandjag (01-10-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah, depending on the color and type of jag, some can look very sinister. Some movies have bad guys in x308 Jags like Quantum of solace super villain in the super v8. My xjr and Super v8 are black and chromed with limo tint... my friends all said it makes you look like a mobster... love it

Last edited by princemarko; 01-10-2014 at 09:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by princemarko:
A.J.P (05-05-2020), Roldano (05-06-2020), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
Originally Posted by kyle04
......later to be chased by two plain cloths sweeney in a brown Ford Granada !

These 2, nothing could keep up with a Jag back in the day making them the ideal car to do something illegal in, I think the UK started off the bad image the US followed, and then Phil Mitchell from Eastenders finished it off.

The following 2 users liked this post by L80ous:
A.J.P (05-05-2020), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts
Talking Body in the trunk

It would be great if you could rig up something so that when someone got near the Jag muffled sounds would begin to emanate from the trunk/boot. That might cut down on the door dings.

Originally Posted by Fulton
I think it's great, maybe they will be more careful and not ding the doors. And on another subject, do you find a body in the trunk adversely effects handling?

The following 2 users liked this post by JimmyL:
smtguy (01-16-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyL
It would be great if you could rig up something so that when someone got near the Jag muffled sounds would begin to emanate from the trunk/boot. That might cut down on the door dings.
something like...

The following 5 users liked this post by Sean B:
A.J.P (05-05-2020), JimmyL (01-11-2014), poodledoodledude (01-11-2014), sparkenzap (01-10-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton

Hehehee....I try to avoid carparks.
Bodies in boots/trunks will upset thing s atad....specially if it's not tied down ;o]P

The following 2 users liked this post by xjay8:
poodledoodledude (01-11-2014), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Its true .

Bad people drive Jaguars ,i heard even Hannibal Lecter had one .

{Look at the list baddys who drive Benz and Beemers}

Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I think this sums it up best....

Last edited by SparkyGage; 01-13-2014 at 11:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SparkyGage:
JZjaguar (05-08-2020), Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014), XJR RONN (05-06-2020)
Old 01-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's too funny....

My opinion... Now bear in mind, I'm 29 years old, I scored my XJ for $800 (salvaged title, body & minor frame damage...the car was too good to scrap), and I'm in Florida....

But what I've found is that Jag owners here tend to be more passionate owners and drivers than other brands. They're also the type that will come up to you and ask you questions about yours...

In the past month, I've already had someone try to buy it off of me at a gas station, on-the-spot with cash... I've also had a guy approach me and ask me what year, mileage, etc etc, and he proceeded to tell me that he's on his 3rd X-308, and he said "people look at them and think they're big and unwieldy, but what they don't realize is how light these cars actually are and they really are rocket ships!" And another two people told me how they loved their VDP's and mentioned they knew mine was because of the wood trim and rear tray tables...

You just don't get that out of Mercedes owners down here, or Audi, etc etc... I've always been a driving enthusiast and when I bought this car, I expected it to handle like a Ford Crown Vic...IE, a Taxi Cab.... Then I drove it and couldn't wipe the grin off of my face!

Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I have never heard that before! The image that I see/hear is the "rich, old man" one, not the "bad boy" image!
I get this all the time as well. And of course, when I was younger, I would always be asked "Is that your dad's car?"

To be fair, I've been involved in 3 Jaguar Clubs over here, and I've always been the youngest member, by a long way...

As for the generalisations by Aussies and Americans... maybe it relates more to a slight dislike/mistrust for all things British, not just the people

I do love the Top Gear reasoning as well though, and it's kinda true, you can get away with a lot in a Jaaaaaag

Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

What made Clarkson's comments even more humorous to me is that he has owned several XJ's over the years for his personal cars.

Here's one:
How long did Jeremy Clarkson own this Jaguar XJR? - You could own Jeremy Clarkson's old Jaguar XJR - MSN Cars UK

Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JagginItUp
That's too funny....

My opinion... Now bear in mind, I'm 29 years old, I scored my XJ for $800 (salvaged title, body & minor frame damage...the car was too good to scrap), and I'm in Florida....

But what I've found is that Jag owners here tend to be more passionate owners and drivers than other brands. They're also the type that will come up to you and ask you questions about yours...

In the past month, I've already had someone try to buy it off of me at a gas station, on-the-spot with cash... I've also had a guy approach me and ask me what year, mileage, etc etc, and he proceeded to tell me that he's on his 3rd X-308, and he said "people look at them and think they're big and unwieldy, but what they don't realize is how light these cars actually are and they really are rocket ships!" And another two people told me how they loved their VDP's and mentioned they knew mine was because of the wood trim and rear tray tables...

You just don't get that out of Mercedes owners down here, or Audi, etc etc... I've always been a driving enthusiast and when I bought this car, I expected it to handle like a Ford Crown Vic...IE, a Taxi Cab.... Then I drove it and couldn't wipe the grin off of my face!
I agree-- when I see another jaguar owner, I get out and talk to them about it. I don't see other car owners doing that. We wave at each other at lights, chat about our jags at grocery stores, and chill at gas stations-- all as perfect strangers with one thing in common: we love our jags!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Miata drivers and Corvette drivers wave. (most of the time)

Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by poodledoodledude

Perhaps it has to do with how common is the given car in that given city/hood streets. If it isn't very common to see luxury Europeans, then the presence of a Jag or a big Audi will, indeed, raise eyebrows because it is understood that the average person in such area just do not buy those cars.

Conversely, along the California coast line, for example, Jaguars, Mercs, Audi's and BMW's are quite abundant, including a silver S type, but... if you drive in-land, where Chevy and Hondas, etc. are the more abundant, well, that's another story and your silver S type will, again, become a "suspect".

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Bad people drive jaguars---