XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Battery Dead ! What Do I Use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016 | 09:28 AM
|
Default Battery Dead ! What Do I Use?

Hi All

If you've been following my threads, you know that I have a 1999 Daimler super, which has been stood for about 3 months. The battery was supposedly new but I think it had a drain problem I will review that later. In the meantime, the battery is dead.

I need to either jump start it or charge it whilst the battery remains in the car.

1. Jump Start
Get a big engine car, clamp + and - on both cars (which order) turn on the working car first then crank the dead car.
I've been told I could flood the engine this way and is not the best option.

2. Charge with another car.
Get a big engine car, clamp one of the leads to the dead car (which one?) and clamp the other one to a metal, unpainted bit of the car.
As the battery is in the boot, what other metal do I clamp it to please?
Then turn on the working car and let it run for a few minutes, this should charge my car battery.

3. Buy one of these and do something - How would I use this on the jag, whilst keeping the battery in the car and not disconnecting the battery? Do they work if the battery has no voltage?

Absaar HF4500
or
Absaar 8A 12V Booster Pack?

Long winded - Sorry

Old 03-15-2016 | 10:53 AM

If your XJ6 is the same as my 1998 XJ8 Sport, there is a small lock on the right hand side of the boot where you can use a key to open the boot manually. Once open you will be OK, you could also turn the ignition to position 1, with a battery connected via cigarette lighter and operate the boot release button I believe.. either should get you in and then able to remove and charge the battery.

These cars are very sensitive to voltage levels so it is worth disconnecting the battery, charging it, and whilst charging it off the car, short the battery connectors together in the car to discharge any residual voltages held by capacitors in the electronics. This will be safe to do with no battery in the car. Once battery is charged and car restarted dont forget the engine management unit will take a short while to relearn your engines' good and bad points and you may need to reset your radio with your code, and reset your windows by taking them fully open, and holding the button till you hear a click, and then right to the top holding the button again until you hear a faint click.

Last edited by SteveSheldon; 03-15-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-15-2016 | 11:34 AM
GGG

I've moved your question from UK Region to X300 forum. Please post TECHNICAL questions in the MODEL TECHNICAL forum.

Jaguar advice for emergency starting is as follows:

Battery Dead ! What Do I Use?-045.jpg

Battery Dead ! What Do I Use?-046.jpg
(click on the images to enlarge them)

NOTE the warning about not running the boost vehicle's engine when boost starting a Jaguar. Several members have fried sensitive electronics by ignoring this advice.

Graham

Old 03-15-2016 | 11:47 AM
|

guys I do apologise, my sig keeps saying xj6 but as per my thread, its a 1999 super v8

Old 03-15-2016 | 11:57 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by kapows
guys I do apologise, my sig keeps saying xj6 but as per my thread, its a 1999 super v8
I've changed your Signature and moved the thread. Signature change will show up with your NEXT post.

Graham

Old 03-15-2016 | 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

I have no clue where the story about flooding the car came from! The Jaguar recommended procedure is obviously what you should follow if you have any concerns, but I have jumped my various Jaguars from a car with a running engine and never had a problem. I would guess their concern is with a battery with an complete open circuit failure, since it will not "float" the voltage in the discharged car.

Since you did not specifically say, i asume you can get in the trunk with the key. If not, just use the underhood terminal on the fuse panel as the positive lead, and a bolt on the shock tower for negative, then open the trunk and jump as described in the document.

I propmise you there is little difference between a MY 99 Jaguar's electronics and any other modern car.

Old 03-16-2016 | 04:17 PM
|

Thanks guys

I can get in the boot no problem phew

Old 03-16-2016 | 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

What you need to do is fix your charging problem. By that I mean : you can't leave any lead acid battery uncharged for 3 months without seriously affecting the life, and that's without a load, as the battery has a self-discharge effect. To add insult to injury, the car has a parasitic load, in addition to the self-discharge.

There really is no need to start looking for a drain problem when it's been left for 3 months, as one would reasonably expect any battery, left connected, to be flat by then.

Any time a battery is left partially discharged, the battery is subject to a process called sulphation, where charge capacity is lost to a formation of lead sulphate on the plates.

I will not leave my XJR for more than a week without hooking up the charger.

You battery did not die of natural causes, you murdered it.

Is it practical to connect a charger when you are not using the car? Something like a Battery Tender is quite sufficient. I use a Noco Genius. There is no need to disconnect the battery, or even open the trunk. I connect mine under the hood (bonnet).

Old 03-25-2016 | 08:19 PM

Nothing magical about the Jaguar battery. Charge or jump just as any other car. If the charging source is suspect, then disconnecting the battery from the cars is a good thing. I have a 1969 Camaro that sees little use. I just leave a solar charger plugged in to the cigarette lighter. Best thing for any vehicle is to drive it though.

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

The problem with a charger plugged in to the lighter is that on a Jaguar, the lighter is disconnected from the battery when powered down. So you either need an aternate connection, or jumpoer the lighter relay.