XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Battery problem xj8

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery problem xj8

Hello Guys, I have a problem with my car and I´m very worried. 2 weeks ago I´ve carried my car to paint some parts and when I take the car from the garage after starting the engine I see next warning lights ON: battery in red colour, ABS ( orange ), the display says: battery is not charging, odometer doesn´t work and I have to wait like 10 minutes to activate the gear lever, when I press the brake pedal the brake lights are ON but the lever is blocked until 10 minutes later.
The garage has changed the battery because the old one was died and all the lights are still ON. The mechanic have checked de alternator with a voltmeter connected to the battery and he said me the alternator is also died. They have put a new alternator Denso brand and the surprise is that all is the same, lights ON and nor charge from the alternator.
I must say that the paint garage has painted the luggage compartment because the old owner painted the car in other colour but not this compartment.
I have asked the worker he has done or what he has removed to paint the compartment and he said me he has only moved a little the cables but not disconnect. Also I must said they started the car several times with cables and other battery. PLEASE, CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME?

Old 03-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Sorry Guys, I forgot to say that my car is a DAIMLER V8 ,X308, year 98 and 4.0 engine 284hp.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

The alt is a pretty straightforward system - there's the power cable, ground strap from the trans bellhousing area to the chassis, and a couple smaller wires that trigger the alt and send a batt not charging warning to the inst cluster.

He should have checked the alt voltage at the front power connections as well.

Judging how the odo isn't working, there's probably faults elsewhere. The obvious things to check are fuses, especially ones in the ignition switched fuse boxes, and all other wiring up front. It's also possible that the new alt is dead - any alt shop should be able to test it on a bench...

Here's the electrical schematics http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf and a guide to do for electrical troubleshooting http://www.mediafire.com/file/j4irvg...g+Rev.+2.2.pdf

Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 PM

Hello nilanium, thank you for your answer and the links. The mechanic said me he has checked also the new alternator and it´s OK. Told me that electricity is missing to energize the alternator or something like that... I have seen in your link the protection module next to the battery with 4 fuses. I don´t know if they have checked this fuses...

Old 03-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

It's possible, the WK wire in figure 3.1 is the wire that energizes the alt. That leads back to fuse 2, 5A in the engine compartment fuse box. That leads back to figure 1.1 where it is switched through ignition positive relay, and that is powered through the high power protection module. If one of those big fuses is blown or loose or whatever, that could be causing the problem. Or if that relay isn't working.

The easiest thing to do is to pull that 5A fuse and turn the car ON but don't start the engine, and check voltage going to where the fuse was. If there's voltage there, you know the break is between the alt and fusebox. If there's no voltage, just keep working further backwards. It's easy to check the HPPM fuses as well...

Old 03-06-2017, 02:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Very unusual to both a battery AND an alternator fail together, especially as the car was OK before the recent work.

I would first check the main earth lead (negative) connection to the car body and the connections in the High Power Protection Module (see item 5).

Battery problem xj8-battery.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Graham