XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Been chasing Lean code Bank 1 and 2, now other problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Been chasing Lean code Bank 1 and 2, now other problems

For the past 2 weeks I have been chasing correcting things for Bank 1 and 2 lean codes. New valve cover gaskets (which were needed) remanufactured injectors (dirty and need new seals) new hoses for the purge valve, new part load hose. cleaned the MAF, and new gaskets for the intake. while the intake was off took advantage of replacing the hard to get coolong hose took the VDP out for a run after clearing codes, the Restricted Performance flashed on but went back off within about 5 seconds, but the the check engine light stayed on.

went back home and parked in the garage and let the car sit for a bit, went down to start the car and got the dash lighting up all sorts of things. well 3 I have written down . the following is what I wrote down: Trac Con not available, Fail Safe Engine Mode, and ACS not Available. I may have missed one I believe something with the trans but will have to recheck on that. Also had a Low Coolant (which I topped off) but have notice I lost coolant on the floor and looks like some into the engine bay (so clean up time) then check to see what is what. And 2 new codes on the reader P1121 Throttle Position Sensor inconsistent with MAF/MAP, and B1121 Driver Fan Feedback Circuit resistance low

A bit winded on this subject. I am hoping that maybe, and just maybe I overlooked a hose clamp and by change did not get it on right and the coolant sprayed some of the components.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

see page 36 http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa..._2001_OBD2.pdf
P1121 seems to be a failure in the pedal position sensor, or associated wiring. It's got two pots to measure position (like in the TB) and if the readings don't agree it throws this code.

The following users liked this post:
daverb (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by nilanium
see page 36 http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa..._2001_OBD2.pdf
P1121 seems to be a failure in the pedal position sensor, or associated wiring. It's got two pots to measure position (like in the TB) and if the readings don't agree it throws this code.
Hey, thanks saved that to my files. did not go down tonight, just got frustrated. Will check things out tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

With the work already carried out (new seals) then a MAF clean/replace could sort the lean codes on both banks, Stu1986 switched MAF sensors and that has seemed to cure his lean on both banks codes, do a search of his recent 'chasing lean codes' thread.

The first lot like ABS Trac etc sounds like a dying battery, these cars don't like a voltage drop, anything lower than 12.5V and they start to get ghosts in the machine, you'll see these warnings on cranking/initial running when the battery isn't fit enough.
Either stick the battery on charge, or replace.

I battled a P1121 which led to a throttle rebuild, on the AJ27 throttle the tracks wear in the TPPS/TPS leading to a fault posting which lead to random failsafes.

Last edited by Sean B; 06-06-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:03 PM

Well, went down to the garage and took another look, for most of the codes was an easy fix and was something I thought of checking first. Seems that when I changed the coolant, I did not get it bleed out complete and some of the fluid got to some connections, cleaned them hard reset, and Abra Ka Dabra, all gone. so that was a cheap and easy fix, and yes made sure I got the system bleed out right this time.

Sean, the battery is new so I know that is good, and I have been following Stu on his mission. Even tho I did replace the intake gaskets, I decided to run another smoke out test, had some smoke coming out from the intake so figure I would just order some new intake gaskets from Jaguar. A bit pricey for 8 but figure worth it, the others were to be OEM quality but guess not lesson learned. also when I replaced the fuel injects somehow put a slight tear in a couple of the large gaskets (don't ask, don't know how) and had a bit of the test smoke come out pass them, they are now replaced

so now to wait for the new gaskets to come in, should be Friday or Saturday and get that done.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

MAF sensor was the issue on mine in the end, despite it being cleaned. Swapping it with one from my old 4.0 car did the trick, and now I've made a mental note to grab MAF sensors if I have the chance when scavenging parts from scrappers.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
MAF sensor was the issue on mine in the end, despite it being cleaned. Swapping it with one from my old 4.0 car did the trick, and now I've made a mental note to grab MAF sensors if I have the chance when scavenging parts from scrappers.
Replaced the MAF before but still got the Restricted Performance, so did a Smoke test and found the Intake leaking, so pulled the intake and replaced the gaskets finally finished up getting her back together about 12 midnight. Stared it and cleared the codes, now to take her out this weekend and see how it goes. Did notice a small amount of liquid underneath after running a bit and thought OH CRAP, but after backing out of the garage, it looked clear and did not feel or smell of anything mager, checked under and notice it coming from the area of what I hope is the drain for the condenser (been quite humid here for the past week.)only con't figure why the water dripping when the heater was running, since I am going to have my local garage do the brakes and
shocks, I have them check it out.