XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Is it best to buy a 2001-2003 XJR or XJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Is it best to buy a 2001-2003 XJR or XJ

Hi everyone,

Ok so I'm getting closer to buying my first Jag. Was about to do it few month ago but had to wait.
Here's my question : In terms of reliability , is it best to buy a 2001- 2003 XJR or an XJ ?
I don't race yet like a good power and for sure would love to have backing sensor

Thank you
T

Old 11-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The later XJR's are better IMO. If only for the MB transmission. The XJR is more complicated although the supercharger and the assorted plumbing has proven to be robust. The later cars will have CATS ... don't hear of many issue until a lot of miles.

No VVT on the SC cars ... and they don't suffer from the cracking plastic coolant manifold .. the SC's is aluminum.

The R is quicker.

The 02 - 03 R's have few issues.

The following users liked this post:
Terry007 (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 02:13 AM

Thank you so much for the reply

You wrote" later XJR " Did you mean 2004 and up ? I think they look like a Ford

I m a bit confused as what you call "later cars"
Could you please be more specific ?
you wrote " No VVT on the SC cars "
what is VVT ? and SC means super charger like XJR?

so you also believe 02-03 R are better then regular XJ ?
Thank you so very much
T

Old 11-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The 98 - 03 cars are called X308's -- "later" is referring to the 02-03 X308. The 04's and up are completely different cars . Ford bought Jaguar in 1989 -- now sold to Tata.

VVT= Variable valve timing.

Yes -- I think all being equal the R's are a better car .. and a better value. They were much more expensive when new and often almost the same price at this point used. The Mercedes transmission often outlasts the car -- unlike the ZF in the non SC cars.

The aluminum engine does not like to be overheated -- the non SC cars have a few plastic pieces that fail and can cause issues -- they are not plastic on the SC cars.

That is not to say you can't find a regular one that is in great shape and good value.

Do a search you will see a lot of information

Terry007 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeldogt is correct on all points. To my way of thinking the only reason to buy an XJ8 over an XJR is if you have to have a cushier ride. XJRs have a somewhat "sportier" (harder) ride due to the suspension, wheels, tires, etc.

I had similar questions and decisions as you to make when I was in the market for a Jag a few years ago. I ended up with my 2001 XJR, and have never looked back. Great car, fairly robust, but keep in mind that owning an x308 is not a hands off proposition - They do require some care and feeding. My suggestion is to spend some time here on the forum, and get an idea of what is involved BEFORE you buy anything.

My other suggestion, is that you take your time and look at alot of cars before you settle on the one you want. There were alot of x308s sold in Southern California, and this would be the absolute best place to locate a clean, maintained, one owner car.

Good luck!

Terry007 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 877 Likes on 723 Posts

All the points made above are absolutely correct: still, a low mileage 2003 XJ8 would be far superior to a high mileage 98 XJR (unless the last owner was a pro Jag mech who completely restored it -- we have a few of those on this forum). A wad of service records to tell you somebody loved and cared for it is also pure gold. And given you are in LA you have lots of choices in your market and lots of breaker yards nearby to available to find near perfect used parts. Start by reading up on this forum (as advised above) and then find a really good local Jag tech -- they often know owners anxious to sell and can be relied on to keep your car serviceable once you buy it. Dealer parts cost an arm and a leg: there are many suppliers available and noted on the forum.

Terry007 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree with all of the responses here. The 2002 and 2003 (either XJ or XJR) model years are the most reliable and the majority of electrical issues have been resolved.

The decision on whether you want an XJ or an XJR really depends on your driving style. If you enjoy fast spirited driving and a firmer ride the XJR is the ticket. If you prefer a smooth, soft ride the XJ is the choice.

Drive both types as much as possible as you search and you will know which one you want to own

Terry007 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 02:35 AM

Thank you so much guys for the replies . What am I so nervous in buying a Jag ? I have owns mostly BMWs and Mercedes ...hum I guess its the reliability issue that's scares me a bit ..A dealer recommended buying a 2004- 2006 model as they are suppose yo be more reliable ,not sure if its true but the do look like a Ford Tourus ..

Old 11-30-2014, 05:33 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

I searched for 3 years and read this forum every day before buying my 2001 XJR.

There was an '04 sitting right next to mine at the dealer when I went to look at them and there is no comparison to the body style of the 308's. The later cars look more like everything else on the road these days, though they do have the aluminum body (no rust) and more interior room. The choice was easy for me because the lines of the 308 are simply beautiful compared the the 350. You can see the last of Sir William's soul in the design of the 308. I am sure he was spinning in his grave when the 350 was unveiled.

The XJR has the more robust Mercedes transmission (the same unit they put in the Sprinter cargo vans) and they usually have all the options available for their model year. Mine had almost everything except the navigation system, which is clunky and out dated now anyway, my Garmin GPS does a better job and I can upgrade to a new one with the latest technology for less than $100.

Mine also does not have adaptive cruise or CATS electronic suspension, both options can be expensive and troublesome to repair. If the adaptive cruise quits, you have few options other than a used unit of questionable longevity or new unit from the dealer, which runs somewhere in the $2000+ range. You also have no cruise control at all unless you fix it.

The extra power of the "R" is significant an it's hard to go back to a NA car once you have driven a supercharged model.

The suspension is a bit stiffer on an R, but you can lower the tire pressure to the "comfort" recommended pressures if you want a cushier ride. An XJR is never going to ride like a VDP though, which is even softer than an XJ8, so if it is ride quality you are seeking, don't buy an R.

I waited until I found a car that had been well cared for and had maintenance records to prove it.

The only thing I had to do to mine was replace the secondary timing chain tensioners with the metal 3rd generation ones and repair two bent rims. The 18" rims are easily bent and this defect in the two rims was the only thing I did not catch prior to purchase. If you sense any vibration when test driving the car, check for this.

Also, the stiff XJR suspension does not tolerate any out of balance issues with the wheels and tires. You have to have them balanced with a Hunter Road Force machine by a very qualified, experienced technician, even then, I usually have to take mine back two or three times to get the job done right. I bought the lifetime balance deal at Goodyear for $25 per corner and it has paid for itself many times over.

The previous owner had already had the headliner replaced (another issue to look for, they usually start to separate at the back of the car,) a new pinion seal installed, the brake fluid and coolant had been changed on schedule and the car had brand new high performance tires and an alignment done.

I paid top dollar for my car when I finally found her and have not regretted it at all.

Remember - "There is nothing more expensive to maintain than a cheap Jaguar." If the previous owner(s) neglected maintenance or repairs, you could spend literally thousands getting the car back into good condition.

Our later model Jags are no more expensive to maintain or less reliable than the used Mercs and Bimmers out there. (Read the Mercedes and BMW forums for a while if you want to see some real horror stories!) All where expensive to buy and complicated cars when new and dealer service departments for all the marques are anything but a bargain. They are used to doing warranty work, which is paid by the factory or work for wealthy owners who don't even look at the bottom of the repair bill before whipping out the American Express card.

If you are handy with a wrench and with the help of this forum, you can do a lot of the work yourself and save 50-80% of the cost of going the dealer or indy route.

Right now I am looking for something red with a horse on the front and I can tell you there are lots of cars out there with "stories" that don't add up to anything but a lot of repair bills and unless you are diligent in your search, you could get stuck with one.

Good luck with the search, be patient and wait until the perfect car comes along.

Welcome to the forum!
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 11-30-2014 at 05:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vector:
Terry007 (11-30-2014), VR6Guru (12-16-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default At Last

"my love has come along" This Etta James classic song says it all about owning one of these extraordinarily beautiful automobiles . Here is a great Jaguar commercial from 1995
Etta included. ("Double click on the "watch this video on you tube screen pop up and it will play) Owning a Jaguar evokes feelings like no other car you'll ever drive. Hard to explain it but you'll know every time you get in it

My love is a 2003 X308 supercharged XJR with 38k miles on it in mint condition in Anthracite/ charcoal leather . The magazine articles describe it as a fire breathing monster that is a veritible cat among pigeons....... a perfect description. Here in Boston, the car goes into indoor storage in mid October and does not reappear until mid April.I can not begin to say what a thrill it is to hear the engine roar to life in the Spring and then hearing the unique Jaguar sound of its idling stainless steel exhaust system

Terry007, if you choose this wonderful car, you'll fall in love...guaranteed

Last edited by Ronco1; 12-10-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Terry007 (06-07-2015)