XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Best code reader

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best code reader

What is the best and most fully functional code reader for my '99 VDP? I hope there a few that members would recommend.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Larry,

I use a Can U581 OBDII reader - works on my 2001 Jaguar XJR, my wife's 2002 Ford Anonobox, and on my 2005 Chrysler minivan. Does not work on my 1979 Spitfire.

It can be used to read codes, clear codes, and record limited information. Costs around £30 in UK so maybe 40-50 USD...I think Harbour Freight even sell them.

You can get them even cheaper - about half that price, but watch out - some of these readers will not clear codes; some need all sorts of adapters. The one above works perfectly well straight out of the box on your Jaguar or Daimler. Comes with instructions and a little pouch to keep it in.

Some more sophisticated machines will read transmission data and body faults as well, but the above tool will likely serve 90%+ of your needs as a regular car guy.

It is not that fancy, but it was very cheap from a well-known auction site and does exactly what it says on the can. Very simple to use. Mine has paid for itself several times over.

Happy Motoring.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Well, you did not ask what was the best deal for the money- so "the best" would be one that can program modules and give access to all of the manufacturer specific codes. The price for that level of functionality can be well over $1000. I use the older dealer VCM and IDS software, but a "Mongoose" apparently does as well for less $$. See the section in the "Stickies" on this topic

Old 05-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 12,941 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Well, you did not ask what was the best deal for the money- so "the best" would be one that can program modules and give access to all of the manufacturer specific codes. The price for that level of functionality can be well over $1000. I use the older dealer VCM and IDS software, but a "Mongoose" apparently does as well for less $$. See the section in the "Stickies" on this topic

I've recently set up Jaguar dealer-level JLR SDD (System Driven Diagnostics) software Version 131.3 (I think), which is the next generation from the IDS. I set it up first on an old 32-bit Windows XP Pro laptop, then on a 32-it XP Pro virtual machine running on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro laptop, in conjunction with the Mongoose pass-through cable from Drew Technologies. This setup allows me to read all Jaguar fault codes, evaluate the status of all modules, view live data and freeze-frame data, indicates whether fault codes are continuous or intermittent, allows me to reprogram modules, to add or delete hardware from the configuration, and to choose the default behavior of certain features that can typically only be set by a dealer (e.g. opting for the Electronic Park Brake to NOT set automatically when the engine is shut off on our X350). It also allows me to save a session and re-open it the next time I start the software. This software is now long outdated, and updating it to current status would require an expensive annual subscription, but since our X350 is 10 years old, the software seems to work fine.

Search the Stickies Ross mentioned as well as posts in the X350 forum on this subject for alternatives to the Drew Technologies Mongoose that are far less expensive and apparently work, perhaps with a few glitches.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Auto Enginuity with the Jaguar enhancement. Not cheap, but does everything.
It pays for itself quickly if you do your own repairs. Most won't do airbags and suspension. A basic reader does engine and maybe some transmission. I had my
transmission rebuilt and the shop couldn't clear the fault codes. I had to do that with
my reader.