XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Best disc pads for X308's

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013 | 10:53 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Best disc pads for X308's

My XJ8's brakes leave a bit to be desired. New Discs and fluid so now to find the best stopping pads. I use Bendix Ulimate when available for other cars I have but they are not made for the XJ8..
Be interested in what others may have found to be the best stopping pads.Low dust is a good thing too.
Thanks.

Old 07-31-2013 | 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

I tried EBC red stuff and found them too dusty.

Then I tried Akebono pads. LOVE THEM. almost zero dust, no fade....

Akebonos are my #1 choice for my 2002 XJ8 and 2000 XJR

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (08-01-2013)
Old 07-31-2013 | 11:11 PM

I have EBC Redstuff pads as well, and it feels like I'm washing my wheels every other week to get rid of the dust.

Have heard great things about the Akebonos, and this is what I'll be putting on next time

Old 08-01-2013 | 12:19 AM

I had Redstuff for 6-7k miles and they destroyed the new EBC turbo grooved discs; the pad composition transferred to the disc surface causing big vibrations during braking. I claimed this to the company and they replaced the discs and pads , Yellowstuff now and no problems at all.

Old 08-01-2013 | 05:05 AM
|
Veteran Member

Looks like the Akebonos are to go then. Best price I could find for a set was on Amazon US but appears they do not post to Australia. Never heard of the brand before and cannot find any listing in Oz. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-05-2013 | 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

also consider to upgrade to steel brake-line,totally worth its price

Last edited by vincent661983; 08-07-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Gippsland (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013 | 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Looks like the Akebonos are to go then. Best price I could find for a set was on Amazon US but appears they do not post to Australia. Never heard of the brand before and cannot find any listing in Oz. Thanks for the heads up.
I just got a set for my XK8 via flebay that were 30% cheaper than Amazon. The seller was an auto parts store in NYC. Might want to see check out ebay as well. Had gotten a set for my XJR from Amazon a couple years back. They're not a performance pad by any means but are quite solid for normal driving and have held up well even with towing trailers with our XJR. Some fade if pushed hard but nearly everything will fade a bit or your breathing in all that brake dust.

Gippsland (08-07-2013)
Old 08-06-2013 | 12:33 PM

I use Mintex pads. A good balance between dust and stopping power.
I do not like the ceramics.

Old 08-06-2013 | 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dan R
I use Mintex pads. A good balance between dust and stopping power.
I do not like the ceramics.
Curious as to your reasoning. I've had nothing but very good results for ceramics for normal street conditions. Of course, I did buy some cheap bendix ceramics once that were absolutely horrible but provided you follow the pad break in procedure (very similar to race pad break in and if you don't do it don't expect to like the pads). I've found them very comparable to non race semi metallic pads without the brake dust downside. Do tell please!

Old 08-06-2013 | 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

If you are really concerned about brake fade, then you must duct the brakes properly which only requires adding a flexible hose from the existing duct port to the rotors.

Ducted rotors run 1/2 the max temps of non.

Old 08-06-2013 | 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

If you are really concerned about brake fade, then you must duct the brakes properly which only requires adding a flexible hose from the existing duct port to the rotors.

Ducted rotors run 1/2 the max temps of non.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...FeU5QgodkWoAHw

Gippsland (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013 | 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Curious as to your reasoning. I've had nothing but very good results for ceramics for normal street conditions. Of course, I did buy some cheap bendix ceramics once that were absolutely horrible but provided you follow the pad break in procedure (very similar to race pad break in and if you don't do it don't expect to like the pads). I've found them very comparable to non race semi metallic pads without the brake dust downside. Do tell please!
I have used PBR ceramics. I found that they lacked the "bite" of Mintex. The PBRs did last a long time but both pads had median cracks through the friction material.

Old 08-07-2013 | 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dan R
I have used PBR ceramics. I found that they lacked the "bite" of Mintex. The PBRs did last a long time but both pads had median cracks through the friction material.
Pabst Blue Ribbon pads, there's your problem! LOL. No experience with ''em but having used mintex plenty of times and have found quite the opposite to your experience and have even used ceramics for towing and some autoxing. To each his own!

Old 08-07-2013 | 04:20 PM

Akebono Euro ceramics, work great once you get used to them, they don't have the initial "bite" of the factory pads, no dust.

Best price I found was on Ebay.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 08-07-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Gippsland (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013 | 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vector
Akebono Euro ceramics, work great once you get used to them, they don't have the initial "bite" of the factory pads, no dust.

Best price I found was on Ebay.
Vector
The bite is there only if they are properly bedded to the disc. Did you take it out heat everything up with 3-4 60-0 abs driven stops then park it for 24 hours? esp, if you were installing on existing rotors.

Old 08-07-2013 | 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
The bite is there only if they are properly bedded to the disc. Did you take it out heat everything up with 3-4 60-0 abs driven stops then park it for 24 hours? esp, if you were installing on existing rotors.
Actually the Akebonos do not recommend this type of bedding. "Normal driving for a couple of hundred miles" is what is specified by the manufacturer to properly bed them to the rotors. I did that and am happy with the result, I don't miss the bite at all, it was really more of a grabbing feeling when you first pressed the pedal, and there is plenty of stopping power if I need it.

Best of all is the extremely small quantity of dust generated by these pads, I am impressed with the stopping power and how clean they keep my wheels compared to the OEM pads.
Vector

Old 08-08-2013 | 04:30 AM
|
Veteran Member

PBR are the only pads that I know that are sold here,they have no performance (upgraded) pads listed. It would seem the Euro Ulimate are getting a positive result.
I'm not out to do any racing just that other cars I have brake better that the Jag so just trying to get the best result for general driving.Having said that I am sure that if it was made to go fast (for a 3.2) it would have been designed to stop fast. It does not. (maybe once but not twice)

Old 08-08-2013 | 07:15 AM

Actually the Akebonos do not recommend this type of bedding. "Normal driving for a couple of hundred miles" is what is specified by the manufacturer to properly bed them to the rotors. I did that and am happy with the result, I don't miss the bite at all, it was really more of a grabbing feeling when you first pressed the pedal, and there is plenty of stopping power if I need it.

Best of all is the extremely small quantity of dust generated by these pads, I am impressed with the stopping power and how clean they keep my wheels compared to the OEM pads.
Vector
And Jaguar doesn't recommend changing the fluids in the car. Just because the manufacture doesn't recommend something doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. If you want them to bite, you need to bed them in. I think you can bed them just the same over 500 miles or so but to me that is a very unsafe method unless you have a closed course track to do it.

Old 08-08-2013 | 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

+1

I don't miss the "intial bite", either.

I find Akebono pads are very progressive and easy to modulate. When you *really* need the stopping power the Akebonos will grip .....fiercely.

Lack of brake dust is a bonus!

Cheers
DD

Old 08-08-2013 | 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hi
I found the following information on crossfire forum thread (6/6/2012):

For those looking for Akebono ceramic pads to reduce the issue of brake dust making your wheels dirty very quickly you might want to know that Akebono brake pads are now avaialble in Australia.

Their contact details are:

Steve Altair
Director of Sales
Australia / New Zealand Market
Tel: 1300 544 371
Email: steve@akebonobrakes.com.au

Very helpful guy - quick to return calls.

Hope this helps

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Gippsland (08-09-2013)

Quick Reply: Best disc pads for X308's