XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Best Option for Obtaining and Programing a Spare Key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Best Option for Obtaining and Programing a Spare Key?

I have tried to cull thru previous post to find out the best (and yes economical) way to obtain and program a spare key for my 2002 XJ8.

I would like to hear what others have done regarding this. Specifically, is it an absolute must that the new key and the car must be together to code the key? Correlatively, can a functioning key not be "read" and that code ascribed to the new key?

BTW, this is an excellent site to allow one to visually "de-code" the key they have based on the cuts:

Code reading "Tibbe" keys for Jaguar

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
bigcat777 (12-19-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New Key cut

I recently had a new key cut at Jaguar dealer.
The key initially did not fit . But when cleaned up with wire buffer worked to point of accessory position. No further,
Called dealer who stated the new key {for 2001 XJR} must be programmed since there is a chip in plastic head.
Have had similar problem getting spare fob to operate.
Tried all the suggested methods .
Looks like dealer programming at cost of $144.00

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Graham Royls
I recently had a new key cut at Jaguar dealer.
The key initially did not fit . But when cleaned up with wire buffer worked to point of accessory position. No further,
Called dealer who stated the new key {for 2001 XJR} must be programmed since there is a chip in plastic head.
Have had similar problem getting spare fob to operate.
Tried all the suggested methods .
Looks like dealer programming at cost of $144.00

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!
I have the Electronic FOB programing down pat. I have a post on a thread that tells my addition to what is already posted. Oh, it looks like Jim updated it to include the 6 flashes requirement (at least on some vehicles):

1. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch barrel, but do not turn it..
2. Hold the turn signal switch stalk in the "flash to pass" postion (sic) and turn the ignition on with the key (while holding the turn signal switch in "flash to pass").
3. Then repeatedly flash the lights with the turn signal stalk until a confirmation chirp is heard (usually five or six flashes).
4. After hearing the chirp, depress the button on the remote transmitter being programmed. If the remote was accepted, there will be another confirmation chirp.
5. Turn off the ignition and test the remote.

BTW, 6 flashes seemed to be the magic number (5 is usually referenced elsewhere). I did get the chirp after 6 and tested this multiple times. Also, if you have multiple remotes they all have to be programed at the same time. I just hit the lock button on the first remote once, got a chirp, hit the lock button on the second remote, got a chirp and then turned the key to the 0 (off) position (and got a final chirp).

There are places that cut the keys at a reasonable rate but the dealer programing seems to be the clincher. It should only take minutes and $ 144.00 sounds like an hour and a half labor.

Come on, somebody out there has to know a better way.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have looked at keys4classics...site.....when i purchased the car/used it only had one key on fob with no green key. i really need to have a spare key as well.....as if i loose the only key i have i am in big trouble.....so i want to make a copy of the black key.....

someone mentioned that they had jaguar cut them another key...i was wondering what they charged just for that?....the re-programming for the new key of 144...is pretty cheap...compared to what they are asking around my way...

so we are talking about a two step process.....cut key and program/reprogram newly cut key.....is there anything else?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 AM

I don't even know what a "green" key is.

I did read in one of the post something like if you have two working, coded keys that you do NOT have to go to the dealer to get a third one programmed. The post did not mentioned how this works tho.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by robertjag
I don't even know what a "green" key is.

I did read in one of the post something like if you have two working, coded keys that you do NOT have to go to the dealer to get a third one programmed. The post did not mentioned how this works tho.
Green key is valet key...will not open trunk

Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by robertjag
4. After hearing the chirp, depress the button on the remote transmitter being programmed. If the remote was accepted, there will be another confirmation chirp.
5. Turn off the ignition and test the remote.
That is procedure is incorrect for two reasons:

1. all remotes have to be programmed during the session. any remotes not programmed will be dropped

2. all remote memory slots have to be filled, even if there is only one remote

Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Try Triple C Jaguar

Old 10-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Uncut key and Key FOB

Hi
In a few days i will go to take my 2000 XJR but the car has only one key and one key FOB
Question:
if i want to make a key duplicate i need also a new key FOB or i can use the same FOB with both key?
The blank key must be programed also? or is a blind key?
I saw on the ebay new jaguar key FOB and also blank key, some say that the key has a transponder.
Only the dealer can program the key?
Regards