XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Best Scrap/Junk Yard score?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Best Scrap/Junk Yard score?

In the UK Scrap Yards operate on a Health and Safety level, which means that nearly all of them will not let you go in and search for parts yourself. This has led to a lot of used parts being advertised on eBay by "breakers yards" and such at much inflated prices because they came from a Jaguar. Sometimes it's better to pay the few (literally a few) pounds more and buy new from Jaguar themselves. More often than not said parts are odd, badly described and badly photographed.

However, occasionally you do find the odd "old school" guy who will let you explore his yard whilst you search for parts. I found one such place recently, who was actually a Independent Jaguar mechanic who had many donar cars round the back. I managed to get a few good parts from him for my project, at beyond reasonable prices. I got the entire black waist seal set off a dead XJR, as well as some other parts like a replacement interior door grab handle.

I went again to see him on Monday for some things, and was sad to discover he'd disposed of the X308 caucuses except for one 2001 car. He said no one was asking for bits off them except me, and needed the room. I only wanted an Air con pressure switch, but he said "get what you can, they're coming for that today". I got my switch as well as the working remote key fob, but there wasn't anything else worth taking. The apprentices had not been kind when stripping it for spares and the interior was full of assorted scrap parts. But the remote is a pretty good score as they are £30 average on eBay as are the switches. New the switch is £60, I got both for £5.

What is the best item you've ever got from a scrap yard?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

I honestly don't know what I'd do without my local pick and pulls. Not only do they sell stuff cheap, the time spent learning and wrenching on cars without risk to breaking your own car is worth its weight in gold.

I guess the big things for me so far have been:
-Full set of chromed Pentas, B+ condition
-full set of longer-style XJR lugnuts
-functioning seat controller module
-Tank to filter section fuel feed line
-VDP trim bits (roof console wood trim, rear vents with rear lighter/socket
-Headlights and foglights
Lots of other obscure small things, like the special backlighting lamps and blue lamp condoms, and others I can't remember.

Lower-priority things I'm looking for in the future are the wiring, heater pads, and tray switch assembly for rear seat heaters, as well as the 00+ upgraded front seat heater pads, at the very least the back section. Maybe a 00+ Alpine head unit and amp set, for the upgraded audio control level, if I decide to do that.

You reminded me of what I forgot to grab off the jag I was working on before, a good pass door handle assembly, if it has one... will have to try and get that before it goes.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

My problem, is there aren't very many in our neck of the woods, both in terms of X308s, and junkyards. So finding one inside the other, is a rare feat. I'm still scoreless.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
My problem, is there aren't very many in our neck of the woods, both in terms of X308s, and junkyards. So finding one inside the other, is a rare feat. I'm still scoreless.
Ditto here too. We have yards on Long Island, but very few x308's to be found for parts.

I just hunt eBay or buy new. I guess that's the premium you pay for the scarcity of scrappable x308's in America.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I am lucky in RI we have a yard that has about 20 jags xj8s xjr's x types xk .so far I have scored 2 complete interiors from vdp's that had great seats front and rear, wood steering wheels and much more. they seem to get a different car every couple of weeks

Old 01-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jrb53
I am lucky in RI we have a yard that has about 20 jags xj8s xjr's x types xk .so far I have scored 2 complete interiors from vdp's that had great seats front and rear, wood steering wheels and much more. they seem to get a different car every couple of weeks
I'm on the lookout for the roof console off a VDP if you happen to find one, with the wood veneer on. They're a rare item over here.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

$125 from a tireshop where the owner had bought a XJR
to get the supercharger to install on his Lexus. The bonus
was the work was done by an ex-Jaguar tech who was
glad to be working on a Jaguar:

4 rotors - cleaned and cut on a lathe with fresh bits
4 calipers - cleaned on bench wire brush
1 front backing plate
1 intake pipe
1 marker light
1 alternator - cleaned on bench wire brush

and the apprentice helped to carry it all to the
car because he wanted to see the XJR

The wood roof console was from another place, $30
for complete unit including garage door opener.

Every relay and fuse I could strip out was another $10.

And a spare headlight, $30.

These deals are rare because there is an indy previously
mentioned here in relation to extremely shoddy work that
tries to control the local Jaguar used spares market by
buying up every car that comes up. Then they hold you
to ransom knowing that if you are actually buying you
need the part desperately. My rear heel board fusebox
cost a fortune but I could not wait for an out of town
delivery and it is NLA.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

The roof console wood veneer can actually be installed without swapping the entire console. It basically is sticky taped in, with a few retaining tabs in corners that need to be bent out to keep it in place. Did my XJR roof console that way.

That sucks about the shop hoarding the parts. Exploiting as much as possible out of the jag tax...

Which reminds me of another find, GenV Eaton blower off a 4.2 STR, with the intake gasket. The gasket just happened to stay stuck to the back when I bought it, I only realized that was the necessary retrofit gasket after I got it home. Think it needs a coupler and rear bearings, more projects for warmer days...

Old 01-23-2017, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

I've taken a standard roof console apart to see how it was constructed, the thought occurred to me that you could create ambient light by using the illumination intended for the sunroof switch. Most UK cars don't have a sunroof, but almost all US ones do, so I guess it wouldn't work there. The veneered console is for a friend of mine as it goes, I have a veneered one in my car. It has a sunroof switch on, but no sunroof!

Jaguar will still sell you a veneered console new, priced at well over £200. Er, no.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 AM
Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

hi stu I go to the yard will look for you

The following users liked this post:
Stu 1986 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I've taken a standard roof console apart to see how it was constructed, the thought occurred to me that you could create ambient light by using the illumination intended for the sunroof switch.
Mine was that way unintentionally. The switch cover on it was missing when I first got the car, so I had a soft glow from it that covered the console and stuff. it was kinda nice, and the switch still worked, but bugged me. If the switch cover itself was there, but clear, it would've been ideal.

The following users liked this post:
Stu 1986 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jrb53
hi stu I go to the yard will look for you
Thanks, that would be very kind of you. As I say the veneered panel is very rare in the UK and if a breakers yard gets one in, normally from a Daimler Super V8, they want silly money for it. If you happen upon a pair of red rear bumper side marker lights in good condition could you grab those too please? Jaguar sell them new at reasonable prices, but the junk yard price will be better I'm sure.

Let me know how much I owe you if you're mission is successful.

CharlzO: That's interesting information about the "mood lighting", I may look at modifying my console if it works. I'll try just removing the switch first to see what I get. BMW's cast a red glow on the centre console area which I always thought was quite nice, and I've noticed similar things from other manufacturers, including more modern Jaguars.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:06 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a place here in Maryland called Elwood's that can be quite fun to explore. They run a scrap metal operation, but let you take your pick from the soon-to-be recycled cars.

Everything is sorted by make and model and they have just about everything BUT European cars. It is very fun to walk through and there is no admission charge as there is at other local yards.

There is a price-judge at the entrance/exit who will price whatever you pull out on the criteria of how big/heavy it is and how mechanically elaborate it is. I have never been told more than $20 for anything.

My best find there was complete front clip off of a Chevelle that was buried in the weeds of the very last row (about a mile back from the entrance).

Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

BMW's cast a red glow on the centre console area which I always thought was quite nice, and I've noticed similar things from other manufacturers, including more modern Jaguars.
I will be following your steps on this, as it is in my mind for a long time as well.
I only think red or blue or whatever color does not really match the car, and did not come up with any other alternative than the yellow-white from an ordinary bulb.
You see, I need some alternative inspiration ...

On the scrapyards, I am following this with envy, as we do not have these, and my part supply relies on eBay and members of this forum...

Old 01-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

I got a like new interior carpet set from Jaguar Heaven in California. Mine had pop spilled on it and was faded. Jaguar Heaven had a low mileage x308 that had recently been t-boned. He said the carpet was like new, and he was right. Great find. I did have the carpet professionally cleaned when I received it just to be safe, but it was in perfect condition. Made the interior look like new.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aquifer
I got a like new interior carpet set from Jaguar Heaven in California. Mine had pop spilled on it and was faded. Jaguar Heaven had a low mileage x308 that had recently been t-boned. He said the carpet was like new, and he was right. Great find. I did have the carpet professionally cleaned when I received it just to be safe, but it was in perfect condition. Made the interior look like new.
Do you mean the mats that fit on top? I bought a like new set from a guy on the internet, 100% better than the ones in my car. The previous owner must've driven wearing running spikes. LOL

Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Do you mean the mats that fit on top? I bought a like new set from a guy on the internet, 100% better than the ones in my car. The previous owner must've driven wearing running spikes. LOL
That's funny. I have never understood why people don't take good care of their cars, but to each his own I guess.

No, I meant the carpet that covers the entire floor. I removed the seats and center console to replace the carpet. Besides being stained and faded, the old carpet was worn through where the drivers left heel sat. Jaguar still sells OEM carpet floor mats. I bought a set of them, but I'm using a very nice aftermarket set so I can keep the OEM's in pristine condition.