XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@David

Glad you got it working. It's always fun looking back on this thread. It seems like so long ago now when I did mine that I'm completely used to it and tend to forget how annoying it was before not to have an aux in !

Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up rca to aux cable connector

I am trying this today! The info included here is so detailed, thank you so much to all who contributed. I'll let you know how I do later. I found an adapter on Amazon which I am going to use, it was only $1.79 w/free shipping in US.

Amazon.com: Cables To Go - 40645 - 3.5mm Stereo Male To 2X RCA Female Adapter: Electronics

link to photo of adapter: Amazon.com: Cables To Go - 40645 - 3.5mm Stereo Male To 2X RCA Female Adapter: Electronics

Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Default success!

I followed the directions provided in this thread and am happy to report it works! Thanks again for all the help!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

I wanted to chime in and sayd thanks to those before me, made the job alot easier!!

Here is a couple of things I did:
1. I used a coat hangar to route my wires (Cat5) under the carpet below the armrest cunbby and back to the heelboard fusebox area. I then routed behind the rear seat up towards the rear pillar and through to the trunk area.
2. I put a small switch right where the valet switch was on x300s and it looks kind of stock... The switch controls #3
3. I used a relay (mounted it to the cd/amp frame)that when powered switches the three wires (R,L,Common) to the amp from either the cd player when the relay is not powered or the T605 bluetooth (my phone) when the relay is powered- now I can play both cd and bluetooth at the same time, and by just lifting the armrest and flipping a small switch I can switch between the two.
4. I mounted the bluetooth control right below the handbrake lever, making it almost invisible. I may just move it behind a panel permanently since I just use my phone to call/answer/choose music.

D

Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Is there any reason the cd butcher could not be done at the head unit? Has anyone tried this? I am waiting on my T605'to arrive, then I will be tackling this mod, although without the relay.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Rob- the amp is in the trunk as well, so I think you have to run wires back there anyway, and the hassle factor of running a wire vs removing radio, ski slope etc vs. a piece of carpet and the cd changer mount... Plus you can remove the cd changer to solder the wires, which is much easier than trying to solder the wires in the cabin.

And the relay works super awesome, I highly recommend it.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

I'll check it out tomorrow. My car does not have an amp, and electrically there's no difference which end of the wire you hack into. However, I admit the trunk is probably easier. Access will decide it for me.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by avt007
I'll check it out tomorrow. My car does not have an amp, and electrically there's no difference which end of the wire you hack into. However, I admit the trunk is probably easier. Access will decide it for me.
Actually that is not 100% true. In the past Jaguar used some unique Lucas Unidirectional Wire that would only allow the electricity to flow one way.

If you got it wrong, then smoke would appear from places where you least expected it.

Best of luck with your project, post up some pics if you can, all good to help folk in the future.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
Actually that is not 100% true. In the past Jaguar used some unique Lucas Unidirectional Wire that would only allow the electricity to flow one way.

If you got it wrong, then smoke would appear from places where you least expected it.

Best of luck with your project, post up some pics if you can, all good to help folk in the future.
God bless the Makers of Midnight! I've been a victim of the Prince of Darkness many times over the years.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Well, it's done. I went the conventional CD butcher route, but I wouldn't do it that way again. The hassle of running wires was ridiculous. The next guy who tries this, maybe look at buying an AI-net extension cable, and butcher it at the head unit.
I wish I had gone that route, but didn't want the delay in finding the right cable.
I also modified the control panel and lowered it in the ashtray, much better.

The sound quality of the bluetooth from my Blackberry Bold is a bit disappointing, but the direct 3,5 jack provides good sound either from my ipod or phone. Next step is trying it out on the road!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Default No CD-Changer?

My car didn't come with a cd-changer equipped so I am looking to buy one so I can modify it for blue tooth capabilities. I am have a little trouble locating the cables for the unit. There are 4 unknown cables where the unit goes. One is the 3 prong power source, One has 10 pins (GRAY-Unknown), One has 15+ pins (Gray-Unknown), The last one doesn't have a connector because it was cut off ( IDK Why). The cut cable has 3 insulated wires running through it ( RED-Brown, Blue, Green ).

Here's a picture of a 2004 CD-Changer (Fits 2003 - 2008):
http://cas07.businessflow.ms/Current...e2476cd&size=2

Here's the picture of the 3 cables with connectors:
Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?-14kksbl.jpg

Here's The cut cable ( I think this is the cable that is connected to the one in the 1st picture ):
Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?-10ia4qe.jpg

Is the cut cable the correct cable for the CD-Changer?
What are the unknown cables for?
Is there a way to get Aux input with out a CD-Changer?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Sorry forgot to add the following:
Jaguar
2003 s-type
v8
4.2l

Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fiber Optic

Your car has fiber optic, like my 2007 XJ8L. That is a whole different story. That box mounted in the back is a signal transceiver for the fiber optic (D2B network). You will need to dig into that more but I suspect you can get to the wired audio lines between the transceiver and the CD Changer. See figure 20.4 for an example (2006 XJ). Your system sends the audio over this fiber optic data link to the head unit. First of all you will need to get to this D2B network and connect a transceiver into it (like the one mounted on the back of that CD changer. Jaguar does make an Audio Connectivity Module for this very purpose. Check online or at your Jaguar dealer. I think they cost about $350 though. Here is a detailed writeup: Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) Installation and Tips

Originally Posted by Andrew74
My car didn't come with a cd-changer equipped so I am looking to buy one so I can modify it for blue tooth capabilities. I am have a little trouble locating the cables for the unit. There are 4 unknown cables where the unit goes. One is the 3 prong power source, One has 10 pins (GRAY-Unknown), One has 15+ pins (Gray-Unknown), The last one doesn't have a connector because it was cut off ( IDK Why). The cut cable has 3 insulated wires running through it ( RED-Brown, Blue, Green ).

Here's a picture of a 2004 CD-Changer (Fits 2003 - 2008):
http://cas07.businessflow.ms/Current...e2476cd&size=2

Here's the picture of the 3 cables with connectors:
Attachment 18668

Here's The cut cable ( I think this is the cable that is connected to the one in the 1st picture ):
Attachment 18667

Is the cut cable the correct cable for the CD-Changer?
What are the unknown cables for?
Is there a way to get Aux input with out a CD-Changer?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GTR_vehiclemultiplexsystems.pdf (199.3 KB, 306 views)
Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the AI-Net route on my 1998 XJR and it did not work. The head unit did not recognize the source at all. You can intercept the AInet working under the center console and hack into it there. I considered this after doing it the hard way (of course) but it should work.

Originally Posted by avt007
Well, it's done. I went the conventional CD butcher route, but I wouldn't do it that way again. The hassle of running wires was ridiculous. The next guy who tries this, maybe look at buying an AI-net extension cable, and butcher it at the head unit.
I wish I had gone that route, but didn't want the delay in finding the right cable.
I also modified the control panel and lowered it in the ashtray, much better.

The sound quality of the bluetooth from my Blackberry Bold is a bit disappointing, but the direct 3,5 jack provides good sound either from my ipod or phone. Next step is trying it out on the road!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how about this

new post.
found this
iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter for Select Jaguar with CD Changer :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces :: Discount Car Stereo
Wife wants to play iPod in 01 xj8 with Nav and CD Changer.

The following 3 users liked this post by quietcoolone:
JKo (06-05-2012), Sarc (06-06-2012), Sean B (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by quietcoolone
Looks like the perfect solution for iPod/iPhone/iPad, as it also charges the connected device.

I wonder why there are separate versions for MY1999 XJR?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by JKo
Looks like the perfect solution for iPod/iPhone/iPad, as it also charges the connected device.

I wonder why there are separate versions for MY1999 XJR?
Just inquired about this kit and was told that it works with our setup and connects to the changer in the trunk (as indicated on the installation instruction pdf). I'm also told that the Changer can be put back to use by reconnecting it to the original plug (nothing is altered)
The adapter will play (including Pandora) and charge all iPods and iPhones. The install looks simple enough so we are strongly considering this option as this will give her the ability to play the music on her iPhone and not have to deal with CD's.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@quietcoolone

The theory on this is sound, ie it has to have a working CD Changer to keep the AI-Net inpput alive, and then all it does is interupt the sound signals from the CD changer whenever it sees a signal on the aux in.

Have a read at this other thread..... (it was a lot of fun back then when we were all trying to get this to work, but doing it in all kinds of different ways)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e3/#post344638

We were playing around with a PIE version of what you are looking at. The PIE folks were pretty clueless about the Jag stereo system, however, the members on here finally cracked it. From the description on the website for yours, it really sounds like they know what they are talking about, so I'd be pretty confident it will work.

Would be great to get someone trying it out and confirming it also works so people have more choice.

To your question about why different MY 99 and MY 00, I think the stereo system was changed a little bit between these years..... before you could get a "premium" version of both the Harmon Kardon and the Alpine system, but after MY00 The HK became the low spec system and the Alpine became the premium version.... I think.

As an aside : I've since sold my '00 XJR which had butchered CD changer bluetooth aux in. To replace it I bought a '06 XJ with "everything" on it....... but amazingly it still doesn't have an aux in as standard !!!!! (Luckily thanks to this forum I know of multiple ways to get one and will be doing that job soon)

Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sarc
@quietcoolone

The theory on this is sound, ie it has to have a working CD Changer to keep the AI-Net inpput alive, and then all it does is interupt the sound signals from the CD changer whenever it sees a signal on the aux in.

Have a read at this other thread..... (it was a lot of fun back then when we were all trying to get this to work, but doing it in all kinds of different ways)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e3/#post344638

We were playing around with a PIE version of what you are looking at. The PIE folks were pretty clueless about the Jag stereo system, however, the members on here finally cracked it. From the description on the website for yours, it really sounds like they know what they are talking about, so I'd be pretty confident it will work.

Would be great to get someone trying it out and confirming it also works so people have more choice.

To your question about why different MY 99 and MY 00, I think the stereo system was changed a little bit between these years..... before you could get a "premium" version of both the Harmon Kardon and the Alpine system, but after MY00 The HK became the low spec system and the Alpine became the premium version.... I think.

As an aside : I've since sold my '00 XJR which had butchered CD changer bluetooth aux in. To replace it I bought a '06 XJ with "everything" on it....... but amazingly it still doesn't have an aux in as standard !!!!! (Luckily thanks to this forum I know of multiple ways to get one and will be doing that job soon)
Thank you so much for chiming in.
I spoke earlier with Jay @ discount car stereo and he told me they have installed and tested the adapter in a 2001 XJ8 with Alpine system which is similar to ours and that is worked to perfection and unlike other adapters it charges all iPods. (i did not know older iPod charge on 12v and the new on 5V)
He also told me that soon they will be offering a female dock to 3.5 to convert the male dock to play any device with a 3.5mm jack (phone, mp3 player).
After reading the many post on this forums about the PIE adapter and cutting the cable, i think this solution is the easiest so I ordered the cable and should have it this weekend. Jay stated that their adapter does not work like the PIE switcher. This one takes the place of the cd changer and the only way to get the changer back is to reconnect it (We prefer the iPhone over the changer) so that is not an issue. The fact that its plug and play means that i will be doing this myself
thanks.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:12 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I ordered one on the spot when I opened the link. Delivery to Finland takes 6-10 days, so I should have it sometime next week. Will report back as soon as I have it installed on my Alpine premium system.

Quick Reply: Best way to route a wire from boot/trunk to centre cubby box under armrest ?