XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Beware: Parts scam on a 2001 xjr

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Beware: Parts scam on a 2001 xjr

Hello to all fellow members.
I need to advise you guys of an experience I had recently with a member on this forum named "swagguar".
He was advertising parts from his totaled 2001 xjr.

I have come to find out that quite a few fellow members have tried to purchase parts from this seller, including myself.

I sent via "googlepay" funds for the following parts:
SLCM
EVAP Canister.
Canister connecting tube (Hard tube Approx 3 1/2 feet long)
Charcol canisters
Reverse parking control module.

When I tried to initially pay him, his "googlepay", his pay account declined.
After numerous emails to his email account, I was finally able to transfer the funds for these parts to this seller.

He emails me back and tells me his son did a great job of carefully removing the parts, including the canister connecting tube which I was MOST interested in, and they were cleaned and ready to go. I started to question the parts because he described his car a "totaled" with rear end damage. Well, guess where some of the parts I requested were from? Yup, the rear end of the car. (SLCM, Parking)

Here is where the fun begins:
He sends me a USPS tracking number on 03/23/2018.
He tells me he is dropping off the parts on 03/24/2018.

Starting Monday 03/26/2018, I start tracking the package. Since it went USPS, it is not unusual for the tracking to take a few days (I've done this before).

Finally on 03/28/2018 I contact this seller and inquire.
He apologizes and tells me he had been delayed in sending the parts.

Late in the day on 03/28/2018 the tracking starts to appear.
Says it will be delivered on sunday 03/31/2018. Hmmm, a sunday? Well, apparently USPS delivered packages on sunday.

Sunday morning I get a text from USPS saying it is "Out for delivery". Wow, great news. I can fix the parts on my car today Woohoo.

I'm working in front of my house at approx. 11:30am and I see a USPS truck driving up and down my block. He stops at 2 houses on my block, but keeps going past my house. WTF!!!!

All of a sudden I get a text from USPS saying my package was delivered. HUH?? Again, WTF?

04/02/2018 I contact my local post office. They took the tracking number and told me they would get back to me after they research this.

04/03/2018 I go to the USPS office and inquire as to the result of the research. The postmaster calls me into his office and proceeds to show me the GPS that the driver scanned the package in front of my neighbors house, not mine.
He asked if I wanted them to do a further investigation and I replied" No, let me go see what was delivered".

Well, my house number is #15. I gave this to the seller numerous times along with my name.

The package was delivered to #10 addressed to "Current Resident". Not to me, but a generic "Current Resident" as you would find on junk mail.
That's what the label said: "Current Resident" sent to the wrong address when he clearly had my CORRECT NAME and CORRECT ADDRESS on numerous occasions, including my payment to him.

The box which came in measured 10" x 10" x 6". Not even close enough to hold half the parts I ordered, let along the charcoal canisters connecting pipe which as stated above is almost 3 1/2 feet long. The postage was a comical $ 13.56.

The box was EMPTY. the only thing in the box was a type written note describing parts I didn't order, but not one part in the box. It was EMPTY. NOTHING, except the cut off strips from the tracking label he created. This box didn't even weight 1 pound.

Now, I know this is a scam. So, I emailed him on the evening of 04/03/2018 and described what happened and inquired if he had an explanation for this.

At this point he was still responding to me.

He replied" No, No, that is not right. I'll investigate"
That is the only answer I received from him.

So, he can investigate all he wants now because I know this is a scam, so I put a dispute into "Googlepay" for the amount I paid him.

I received the response last night that my dispute was approved and that the refund should be back in my account in 3-5 days.

I have purchased many items from fellow forum members in the past that have helped me out immensely.

This one left a bad feeling about human nature and the love for a fine automobile like my Jag.

As all of us are, I am proud to be one of the few people that own one of these jags. As time goes on, they become fewer and fewer.

I would HATE for this to happen to any other forum member.
Just wanted to share.

Last edited by Rpach10115; 04-05-2018 at 02:38 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Rpach10115:
BaxtersJag (04-05-2018), cliveb (04-05-2018), ericjansen (04-05-2018), hispeed42 (04-05-2018), nilanium (04-05-2018), RJ237 (04-05-2018), XJDanny (04-15-2018), XJRay (04-06-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

+1 on the scam. I received the same thing on my order; "Current Resident," wrong address, and empty box.

Mark
XJR-100

Old 04-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

He is a former business associate of mine he went rogue on me last year. His rental office is in the same building as mine, it still has his things in there so I gather he's in & out. He has a long history of mental issues.

I've used Google Send often myself & it's easy to recoup funds from bad transactions. Just file a dispute w/ the transaction #.

https://support.google.com/pay/send/...DAndroid&hl=en

Godspeed

The following 3 users liked this post by King Charles:
GGG (04-06-2018), hispeed42 (04-05-2018), Rpach10115 (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,812 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Shouldn't the usps take action? That must be mail fraud.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I, too, was scammed by swagguar. Here is my post of the fraud: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...forums-199440/

I was scammed a few hundred dollars, and my anger/dissappointment is just as magnified.

If there is a way for us to take legal action against him, count me in, and I will testify.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

Sorry say that I also got burnt. I have made 2 separate purchaes from this person.

We need to do something about it. This bad apple is hurt the trust and brotherhood which is the fundamental core values of this forum

Thanks for hipspeeed contacting me asap

I'm on my cell it's hard to type

Old 04-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Add me to the long list of Jaguar Forum members who were scammed by this thief. I had a lot of pleasant back and forth e-mails until too much time went by. He then went from slow to respond to ignoring me. I contacted Google Pay and filed a dispute last night (4/4/2018).
By noon today, they informed me that my dispute was valid and my money would be refunded. Good on Google Pay for being so fast and efficient.

So, in essence, there is no harm to me. I have a little less faith in mankind in general now, and I'll be more careful of my online transactions.

The real harm that was done was to Jaguar Forums. Here, we have a group of people with a like interest and passion for a specific brand of automobile. People are treated with respect, no matter the question. The vast majority of the members are quite trustworthy and will take their personal time and resources to help a stranger with questions and problems because of a shared passion.
After this widespread fraud, everyone on the forum will be a little less trusting. The member who is legitimately selling real items will now have a more difficult time.
And that makes for a sad day indeed.
Cheers to all!
Baxters Jag

Old 04-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

I am confident I will be able to recover my money from Google.

the damage on the trust of our brotherhood is already made and the wond takes time to heal.

King Charles mentioned this guy was his associate. Please release his information and we need to reprtr to law enforcement
​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by vincent661983:
BaxtersJag (04-05-2018), Rpach10115 (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

well crap! I was waiting on a package from this guy too! It was supposed to be delivered early this week, was out for delivery but never made it to my house, it was sent back to NC stating delivery error because of an address issue. I emailed him and heard nothing back. I will give it a few days to see where the box ends up then file a dispute with google play.

This is a bummer because I really wanted the parts!!

Old 04-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

Thieves, I hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by King Charles
He is a former business associate of mine he went rogue on me last year. His rental office is in the same building as mine, it still has his things in there so I gather he's in & out. He has a long history of mental issues.

I've used Google Send often myself & it's easy to recoup funds from bad transactions. Just file a dispute w/ the transaction #.

https://support.google.com/pay/send/...DAndroid&hl=en

Godspeed
With all due respect, this was not the work of a mental patient.
This was a calculated scam that extended to the point of shipping empty boxes to an address on the SAME STREET and the intended receipt addressed generically to “ Current Resident” like junk mail. He sent PICTURES of parts to people. He provided tracking numbers for a laughable minimum amount to ship priority mail with insurance. He directed people to email him rather that PM him because he claimed he couldn’t read the PM,s due to,eye surgery. He responded to every email up until it blew up on him. He knew exactly what he was doing and thought out almost every option. He has his defense that person who received it at the wrong address took the goods, hence an empty box.

He insured my package for an amount I don’t know, so I’m assuming he insured everyone else’s package. He’s probably going to file a claim for,the insurance and get paid twice for this.

I’m SURE Googlepay is investigating because so many people have filed a dispute against him.
Also, the box has his return address on it which I provided to google pay when I filed my claim.

This was a well thought out scam, not the work of a mental patient.

Last edited by Rpach10115; 04-05-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rpach10115
Also, the box has his return address on it which I provided to google pay when I filed my claim.

The return address on the empty box I picked up from the USPS office is a fake address. I looked it up (the 4999 Carolina... address, right?). It's just a business complex, not a house, nor anything traceable.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,803 Likes on 1,322 Posts

I myself got tagged my fellow Jag enthusiasts. I have filed my dispute with G-Pay, they were really nice about it. I included the link to this page and the links to the items I attempted to purchase.
If it asks for an attachment and won't let you Submit without one (like me), I took a screen shot of the G-Pay transaction and attached it if that helps anyone.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

A number of members have contacted me by PM regarding issues with non receipt of parts advertised by Swagguar in CLASSIFIEDS forum.

Although my CLASSIFIEDS - 'HOW TO' Guide for Buyers & Sellers thread makes clear that the forum is not responsible for any disputes arising and that members use advertisements at their own risk, it was necessary to intervene to protect members.

All Swagguar's threads in CLASSIFIEDS forum have been deleted to prevent any further purchase offers and this member has been given a permanent ban.

I'll also take this opportunity to remind members that if a problem like this does arise, the first course of action should be to contact a Moderator before posting on the forum.

Graham

The following 5 users liked this post by GGG:
Don B (04-06-2018), Norri (04-06-2018), Samilcar (04-06-2018), XJDanny (04-15-2018), XJRay (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 AM

Hello;

I actually received a response from this person last night when I inquired about the status of my order.

I had copied/pasted his response below.

This is the email address it came from:
Charles Diaz (swagguarparting@gmail.com)
It was received @ 12:47am on Friday 04/06/2018

"lol surely you jest as I did not even go to the post office to mail packages.I have filed USPS insurance for this ordeal & spoke w/ google to rectify matters."

I won't even comment on it. I'll let you guys comment on it. It's too insulting to even make a comment on.

I suggest all the people who were swindled by this guy to call the phone number below. This is the USPS office that accepted this mans empty boxes. They open @ 9:30 in the morning.

The USPS office is located @
4025 Postal Way
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
Phone# (803) 926-6354

This is the office that accepted the boxes. This is where is will need to go to file a claim.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rpach10115:
Don B (04-06-2018), XJRay (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I go the same reply this morning when I asked whats up.

"I have filed USPS insurance for this ordeal & spoke w/ google to rectify matters.Contact Google to dispute for refund."

The package isn't lost!!! He is not a very bright con artist. I am filing a complaint with the postal inspector. Doubt this will receive much attention but it will make me feel better.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:48 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BaxtersJag

The real harm that was done was to Jaguar Forums.

Baxters Jag
Lets see if we can fix this.

Rpach, send me some details on the parts you were looking for. I think I have some of them in garage.

Anyone else got ripped and still need stuff shoot me a PM. I have a bunch of stuff and was planning on cleaning out garage. I dont want to end up on "Hoarders", it would make all us enthusiast look bad, but don't want to trash it. I'll help where I can.

The following 3 users liked this post by Col. Sandurz:
BaxtersJag (04-06-2018), Rpach10115 (04-06-2018), Sean B (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Col. Sandurz
Lets see if we can fix this.

Rpach, send me some details on the parts you were looking for. I think I have some of them in garage.

Anyone else got ripped and still need stuff shoot me a PM. I have a bunch of stuff and was planning on cleaning out garage. I dont want to end up on "Hoarders", it would make all us enthusiast look bad, but don't want to trash it. I'll help where I can.
How many miles were on the car? Is there a link to pictures and stuff?

Old 04-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Guys I have copy of his ID on file somewhere, safe to say the address is no longer accurate as I own the property listed on it, but his face & DOB certainly are. Although I will say he has proven very elusive in my task of collecting heavy back rent.

I will post it here once I locate that zip drive in my drawer full of never ending zip drives.

But as one whom has had bad Google Send/Pay transactions in the past, I can say that I was reimbursed promptly.

Edit :

As far as I know he's never had an XJR, he had my old wrecked XJ8L I sold to him in 2015.

Last edited by King Charles; 04-06-2018 at 02:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
BaxtersJag (04-06-2018), Rpach10115 (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:40 PM

Unfortunately, This guy Charles Diaz, aka swagguar@gmail.com is laughing at us. He sent me an email that he is filing a claim with USPS for the insured value of his empty box he sent to my neighbor.

This was a well thought out scam that specifically targeted all of us.
Yes, we were all TARGETED by this scam artist piece of ****.
He purposely fed off of our unending desire to keep our Jags running.
I have always trusted members on this forum. I guess these are the idiots that pray on people in the world.

We ALL should be offended by this.

Last edited by Rpach10115; 04-06-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Beware: Parts scam on a 2001 xjr