XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

BG brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts
Default BG brake fluid

Going to do some maintenance on my 02 when I take off the winter tires - new front brakes -- oil change. Since I have a small leak I am going to take off the valve covers and take a look. Will also do the plugs since all will be dismantled - Plugs are original at 51k).

I was at my local dealer and when I mentioned that I needed some Jaguar brake fluid for a flush he said they are using the BG "ultra dry"product for full replacement. Using the Jaguar fluid for a top up.

The idea behind the product is interesting -- anyone use it?

My theory: Premium fluid is all similar especially the DOT 3 -- manufactures do use more of the specific additives for the Dot 4 and (super) - so I like to keep it all the same.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

BG products are not sub-par so I wouldn't worry too much. I *think* their brake fluid is a Dot4 synthetic but you can ask them to verify that with BG....or it might even state what is is on the container. The dealer probably gets it in gallon jugs

Cheers
DD

Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes -- the BG is Dot 4. It is the theory about using "super dry" fluid for replacement that I find interesting.

Whatever "synthetic" is when we are talking about brake fluid. Very few brake fluids are mineral based -- and very few cars use this fluid - Green. So the way it is often used today all brake fluid is synthetic.

The main difference from a practical point of view is the compounds that resist moisture in the fluid - and how that works over time. That is one of the reasons that standard performance cars often have DOT 3 fluid in them -- often never listing a fluid change. DOT 4 and (super) while better in the short term is actually worse if left in the car -- it requires a change. Some DOT 3 have higher boiling point than standard DOT 4.

I'm just one that does not like to mix products -- I do it once correctly hopefully

Old 02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Yes -- the BG is Dot 4. It is the theory about using "super dry" fluid for replacement that I find interesting.

Whatever "synthetic" is when we are talking about brake fluid. Very few brake fluids are mineral based -- and very few cars use this fluid - Green. So the way it is often used today all brake fluid is synthetic.

The main difference from a practical point of view is the compounds that resist moisture in the fluid - and how that works over time. That is one of the reasons that standard performance cars often have DOT 3 fluid in them -- often never listing a fluid change. DOT 4 and (super) while better in the short term is actually worse if left in the car -- it requires a change. Some DOT 3 have higher boiling point than standard DOT 4.

I'm just one that does not like to mix products -- I do it once correctly hopefully
Yeah, as much as I've heard good about BG I wouldn't waste my $$$ on a DOT4 unless that was in it from new. I put Jag fluid in when I did mine last year, if I do go to some track days will upgrade to valvo full sythetic for a good bang for the $$$. I don't know of any manufacturer who doesn't recommend brake fluid changes every 2-3 years.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I am a long time user and fan of BG products but after hearing of the Master brake cylinder and fluid recall by Honda and Toyota I am going to ask myself if this is the right thing to do before I change what is recommended by the manufacture. I have always followed that rule and suggested that others do the same and now I will be checking even closer.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-fluid-leak/1
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...a-odyssey.html

I hope this helps!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Y'know, for decades manufacturers have always pushed their "factory recommended" fluids and lubricants and for decades we've shrugged it off....knowing that the "factory" stuff wasn't anything special....just more expensive.

Nowadays we can't be so sure, it seems :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

Gus -- I agree completely. The small difference in cost is not worth the risk - I especially do not like mixing unknown fluids.

But this is evidently what my local Jaguar dealer uses when they do a scheduled brake fluid service on the cars. Longtime dealer - Would surprise me if they were doing this independently?

Also looks like the power bleeder may be part of the issue. I don't have one of the cars listed but Toyota does not spec special fluid on the two Lexus models we have -- and no service interval !

Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
I am a long time user and fan of BG products but after hearing of the Master brake cylinder and fluid recall by Honda and Toyota I am going to ask myself if this is the right thing to do before I change what is recommended by the manufacture. I have always followed that rule and suggested that others do the same and now I will be checking even closer.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-fluid-leak/1
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...a-odyssey.html

I hope this helps!
I think the issue in these recalls though is not so much the fluid as the manual process to bleed the brakes that caused a seal to twist and leak. Not the fluid itself.
Just want to make sure we do not mix a fluid/component/standard incompatibility perception with what is a mechanical construction & process issue.