XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Bleeding Brakes......

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Default Bleeding Brakes......

Right, attempted to get a brake pedal all day yesterday....used an ezebleed hooked up to a spare tyre, did a complete flush and pressure test first, sorted a weeping line and proceeded to fill the system.

Bled the callipers as per the JTIS which is the first time I've heard of the fronts first, but there you go....went round the car 3 times in the end, and still spongy. Then called in the old man to help. I sat and pumped and held down as he nipped up each caliper in turn...still spongy.

Tried the fronts with the engine running, tried it with the brake pedal propped to the floor. Held the pedal to the floor overnight....still spongy.

Now looking at taking the system to bits, what a nightmare getting a brake pedal. Don't like the job at the best of times, hate what the fluid can do to paint etc...

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or missing? Do I have to prime the ABS pump? Where would air be trapped?

The master cylinder seems well, large amounts of fluid travels when the pedal is depressed.
I get a pedal after 2-3 pumps then leave it 2 seconds, it hits the floor....it's driving me mad!
The booster seems ok, the pedal isn't hard.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Sean,

Suspect the master cylinder. They can be sneeky buggers.

Last edited by user 2029223; 09-17-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Default Bleeding Brakes......

Right, attempted to get a brake pedal all day yesterday....used an ezebleed hooked up to a spare tyre, did a complete flush and pressure test first, sorted a weeping line and proceeded to fill the system.

Bled the callipers as per the JTIS which is the first time I've heard of the fronts first, but there you go....went round the car 3 times in the end, and still spongy. Then called in the old man to help. I sat and pumped and held down as he nipped up each caliper in turn...still spongy.

Tried the fronts with the engine running, tried it with the brake pedal propped to the floor. Held the pedal to the floor overnight....still spongy.

Now looking at taking the system to bits, what a nightmare getting a brake pedal. Don't like the job at the best of times, hate what the fluid can do to paint etc...

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or missing? Do I have to prime the ABS pump? Where would air be trapped?

The master cylinder seems well, large amounts of fluid travels when the pedal is depressed.
I get a pedal after 2-3 pumps then leave it 2 seconds, it hits the floor....it's driving me mad!
The booster seems ok, the pedal isn't hard.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I was at the point of buying a master cylinder for the same situation but finally got it properly bleed. Brake fluid is cheap compared to the master cylinder. My aluminum one was going to be about 10 times what I expected.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by test point
I was at the point of buying a master cylinder for the same situation but finally got it properly bleed. Brake fluid is cheap compared to the master cylinder. My aluminum one was going to be about 10 times what I expected.
Testpoint, can you recall whereabouts air was held? I'm going to give it another go today, if the rain holds off. How did you successfully bleed?

Thanks

Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I was unable to determine what the problem was. Just kept filling the master cylinder and pumping fluid with the help of my able garage assistant (wife). Did not use one of the EZ tools, did it the old fashion way. Went through about 1 1/2 quarts of fluid so I guess you could say that it is properly flushed. There was something strange going on from the first problem symptom of pulling to the right which came on very suddenly. Pads were good, rotors were a little worn but looked OK. Ended up replacing pads, front rotors and the big flush before everything was right again.

In three years on the forums I cannot remember a failed master cylinder posted. They are $500 to $700 by the way.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 AM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How are you bleeding it? The old fashion way (pissed off wife in the drivers seat pushing the pedal up and down while you scream at her)?

I'd try a mity vac which allows you to get the pressure up real good and pull the airlock thru.