XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Booshiba's 2000 XJR Intro/Ongoing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 04:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhartz
I had my local indie replace the rear shocks and mounts on both my 01 and on my latest, an 03. Pretty straight forward job on the 01 back in 2013; last Feb, the 03 had one of the lower shock bolts rusted frozen and it took them over an hour to loosen it up even after a night of sitting with Blaster. Lifting the cam covers to check on the tensioners is pretty simple with a 1/4 inch electric screwdriver and a spark plug wrench; busting those shocks loose and dropping the springs to get at the upper rear mounts is a different animal.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the car? The record of repairs is quite complete; if no receipts, what evidence (other than easy visuals on new parts on a 22 year old car). It looks like a keeper (really clean glass).
LOL I can't stomach what I paid, so I shall not divulge such information publicly. Having an extra car, and a garage now, no project will be too big for me to tackle. Just takes mental preparation and patience. Gonna read every DIY and watch every video before I tackle anything. "Preparation, preparation, preparation", a silver dollar to the little boy or girl who can name what movie that is from.

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon
Something about these cars, no doubt. Xjr's are rare. I see way more e39 m5 and w210 e55 amg than the x308 xjr out and about. Can't be Many left.
They're regal. That's the defining word I believe.

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,537 Likes on 831 Posts

^
Sexy Beast (with Ben Kingsley playing Don Logan)

Sean B (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 05:35 PM

ding ding ding ding

Old 09-15-2023, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,537 Likes on 831 Posts

I would send you my address to forward the silver dollar to but at my age and at 6’3” I might not meet anyone’s definition of a little boy anymore.

If you see fit, you can drop an extra dollar, silver or not, into the collection box when this year’s poppies go on sale.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ken Cantor:
57loboy (09-15-2023), Sean B (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Cantor
^
Sexy Beast (with Ben Kingsley playing Don Logan)
One of the best, genuinely frightening portrayals of a sociopath I've ever seen, he's a lovey and a National treasure in real life Ray Winstone too.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:24 PM
Default Rust/Damage/oddities: photos

Alright guys. I have not had time to get the car on a lift. Had some time today to at least take photos as best I could with my cell phone.

Have a look....

offset rear decklid brake light

overspray drip

passenger rear

passenger rear

passenger front

ABS, just looks dirty nothing wrong with it

driver side rear

driver side front, the weather strip doesn't look right

underside rear from driver side

underside mid section from driver side

rear end from driver side

driver side, not sure what that ugly fuzzy gunky black stuff it

paint age

passenger side front, note, more gunky weird black stuff. honestly don't even want to touch it.

driver side rear corner under back door

close up of gunk

underside from passenger rear view

oxidation/rust under the paint? Not sure..

The main damage

rust looks like it is bubbling under the paint. Not sure at all. Feels flaky to the touch can't really describe it

rusty passenger side

passenger rear corner by back door

rust

Old 09-17-2023, 06:06 PM
Received 202 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry to say but that car is really rough. Whoever sold it definitely knew how bad it was, they painted the underside in spots to try and hide it. That rocker rust is going to cost a good amount to fix, and usually there's a lot more there once you get into it. I doubt you have any recourse at all with the seller, but if there's any possibility of "undoing" the deal I'd try to get that done. If its a low mileage car I'd say paying any more than $5k would be a stretch for the condition. If over 100k its not worth much at all. Was it advertised as rust-free? I'd say a lot of that is bad enough to see in photos even from 10' away, did he not send good pictures before the purchase?

Either way I hate to see someone get taken advantage of like that. Car's not worth much in that condition, if you paid a good amount for it you'll probably be stuck fixing it or taking a huge loss.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:14 PM

Was not described as rust free. But I asked if it had any damage or issues of concern. The guy said zero issues and "ready to boogie"

The photos were all at night. I wasn't as thorough with this purchase as I normally am. I guess I got comfortable trusting people. Shame in me.

I am going to do the secondary tensioners myself with the zip tie method and just keep it. Can't take a loss at the moment. Or I might do a straight trade for a 2007 supercharged L322 with same milage.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by booshiba
Was not described as rust free. But I asked if it had any damage or issues of concern. The guy said zero issues and "ready to boogie"

The photos were all at night. I wasn't as thorough with this purchase as I normally am. I guess I got comfortable trusting people. Shame in me.

I am going to do the secondary tensioners myself with the zip tie method and just keep it. Can't take a loss at the moment. Or I might do a straight trade for a 2007 supercharged L322 with same milage.
It can all be fixed, just takes time & money. For the tensioners the zip tie method works, but the timing tools are not expensive and you don't need to risk cracking a cam when bolting the bearing caps back down. With the tools the job is simple.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12599478724...Cclp%3A4429486

Old 09-17-2023, 09:22 PM
Received 195 Likes on 124 Posts

Man I feel for you. I think the third brake light is crooked from one of the metal mounts glued to the windshield that it clicks onto letting go. Can be fixed with a drop of review mirror glue. Handle it very carefully, After years in the sun, it may be very fragile. Looks like seller used on the undersigned something like the Flex Paste I've used to seal gutters.
Do you have garage space to work on two cars and tools including access to an engine hoist? If engine/tranny are tip top, best option may to find an XJR with a bad engine/tranny. Easy to find XJ8s, XJRs are rare.

Last edited by pcolapacker; 09-18-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 87LC2
It can all be fixed, just takes time & money. For the tensioners the zip tie method works, but the timing tools are not expensive and you don't need to risk cracking a cam when bolting the bearing caps back down. With the tools the job is simple.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12599478724...Cclp%3A4429486
If I do it I'll get that kit. Thank you.

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
Man I feel for you. I think the third brake light is crooked from one of the metal mounts glued to the windshield that it clicks onto letting go. Can be fixed with a drop of review mirror glue. Handle it very carefully, After years in the sun, it may be very fragile. Looks like seller used on the undersigned something like the Flex Paste I've used to seal gutters.
Do you have garage space to work on two cars and tools including access to an engine hoist? If engine/tranny are tip top, best option may to find an XJR with a bad engine/tranny. Easy to find XJ8s, XJR are rare.
I will not be swapping engines and trans lol but love the devotion.

​​​​​​I'll keep y'all in the loop with how this all goes.

87LC2 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 870 Likes on 717 Posts

The rust on the left side rail will need immediate attention; the rest looks repairable over time.

Old 09-18-2023, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
The rust on the left side rail will need immediate attention; the rest looks repairable over time.
Good to know. Any idea what rust repair generally costs? I'm okay with a couple hundred bucks. Can't do thousands at least not until next year.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:23 AM
Received 171 Likes on 126 Posts

Man this is a bummer. That rust is significant and my bet is that there is a whole bunch more under that goopy undercoating. Worse, it could be poorly repaired accident damage. To properly repair that at a qualified shop, you're looking at thousands unfortunately.

My gut feeling is take the loss now. The rust will only get worse and in some spots I gather it will happen relatively quickly if you are using the car regularly. I struggle to think that anyone who kept the car's body in this condition also properly maintained the mechanics, numerous coolant hoses etc. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps it's worth taking it to a trusted shop for a post purchase inspection to see what the true conditon of both body and mechanicals are.

87LC2 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:43 AM
Received 171 Likes on 126 Posts

Btw was this a car listed on Craigslist in the New York city area, with nighttime pics in a tight backyard driveway?

Z07Brandon (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Sadly this is the way pretty much all UK cars go with winter time salted roads, the chassis has all sorts of traps left unchecked this is what happens.
I would get out of that particular example asap.
The heavy coats of whateveritis are covering the very well known areas of rust, the sill or rocker ends extending into the inner sills and floor pan,
jacking points and their surrounding metal. Bottoms of the rear and front screens, inner wing arches at the front, bottom of the front wings at the rear.
Also the most anger inducing is the lower rear subframe edge covered in 'whateveritis' - this is almost 100% rusted through and will need replacing asap.

A lot of owners here (UK) and one very recent post on here requesting sources of floor pans and sills - not a chance from Jaguar. You either need a magician that works for nothing,
or deep pockets.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 347 Posts

The very nature of rust is that what rust you can see represents maybe 10 or 20 percent of what is there.
And...if you don't get it all...it will very quickly let you know about it. It is almost always very much more than
you expect and can take considerable time to address properly. If you will not be doing the repair yourself,
then you should be prepared to spend thousands of dollars for a job that may not catch it all. It is sad to see
one of these ladies go that way, but rust is certainly a "silent" killer.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:08 AM

That will cost thousands to repair, and that's if you can find someone to take on the job. Most body shops these days only want to do quick insurance jobs, not difficult involved jobs like major rust repair. Like I said earlier, there's a lot more rust there than you can see. Not sure if panels are still available for these cars so if not there's a lot of custom work to be done there.

I'd be furious with the seller, there's no way they should have sold a car without mentioning this or sending pictures of exactly what you're showing us.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Btw was this a car listed on Craigslist in the New York city area, with nighttime pics in a tight backyard driveway?
Reminds of that car as well.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon
Reminds of that car as well.
Yup this is that one
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
yup.

Quick Reply: Booshiba's 2000 XJR Intro/Ongoing Thread