XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Booshiba's 2000 XJR Intro/Ongoing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 10:39 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Grab Handle on Driver Side

Do any of these models come with grab handles on the interior driver side? When cruising on my long highway drives, or at red lights, I'll occasionally reach up for it but it's missing.

Can I just buy one off Ebay and screw into the existing trim? Or is there some underlying hardware that gives it strength? All my Land Rover/Range Rover, E66, R129, SC300 etc. all had one.
I'd like to install one in this car.

Best,
Booshiba

Old 11-06-2023, 07:27 PM
Red face Fun Stuff: Installed a BOOST/vacuum meter

It was actually the worlds easiest install like other members have stated. There are gromets, covers, line holders etc. Super easy to run line from engine bay through firewall(if yall need I can post pics). I still need to wire electrics for it to illuminate, not sure what to tap into for that.

Lowest vacuum reading was around ~-21 when downshifting aggressively and highest boost reading was +14 @ WOT from a standstill to redline.

I used the AutoMeter Boost Gauge Model 4303.

Advice from experience here: Absolutely go with a quality brand. I first did the autozone brand Equiis or something like that, and it was trash. Brass fittings were leaking and the gauge itself felt very Toys-R-Us.

Old 11-07-2023, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,368 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by booshiba
Do any of these models come with grab handles on the interior driver side? When cruising on my long highway drives, or at red lights, I'll occasionally reach up for it but it's missing.

Can I just buy one off Ebay and screw into the existing trim? Or is there some underlying hardware that gives it strength? All my Land Rover/Range Rover, E66, R129, SC300 etc. all had one.
I'd like to install one in this car.

Best,
Booshiba
There should be captive nuts in the roof rail, but Jaguar didn't fit them because the driver has wheel support and it can bump your head.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
There should be captive nuts in the roof rail, but Jaguar didn't fit them because the driver has wheel support and it can bump your head.
Thank you for getting back to me. I will see what is behind the trim and see if I can do it. With the ergonomics, my stature, when I rest my elbow on the door It is perfect height for me to grab onto a handle....I NEED THE HANDLE lol

Old 11-24-2023, 06:43 PM
Default Electrical for boost gauge

Hi Fellas,

Where does everyone tap into for illumination on their gauges? I've never wired electrical but for this car I'd like to have it.

Let me know! Thank you.

Best,
Booshiba

Old 11-25-2023, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by booshiba
Where does everyone tap into for illumination on their gauges?
Where have you placed the gauge? It won’t be difficult to get a feed for it off something close by, there are also wiring diagrams available on this forum somewhere. If you’ve placed it by the centre console an easy way would be to hook into the the ashtray illumination wires or if you’ve put it on a pillar you could probably hook into the roof console illumination.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Where have you placed the gauge? It won’t be difficult to get a feed for it off something close by, there are also wiring diagrams available on this forum somewhere. If you’ve placed it by the centre console an easy way would be to hook into the the ashtray illumination wires or if you’ve put it on a pillar you could probably hook into the roof console illumination.
It is currently mounted on the dash(LHD to the 10 or 11 o' clock position of my steering wheel. How much length of wire would I need to route this? Seems like such a hassle. Couldn't I route it into the bay, through the firewall, and into anything else? I hate messing with old interior bits.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

I’ve had a quick look at the wiring diagram and there isn’t a way you can connect it to illumination without disturbing something unfortunately. According to the diagram the wire colour for the instrument pack illumination is red and blue, alternatively you could try and route it to the clock in the centre which has a solid red wire for illumination.

Either way you’re going to have to disturb something to get it hooked into the instrument illumination circuit. Alternatively you could wire it to a permanent live but it would be lit up constantly whilst the engine is running.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I’ve had a quick look at the wiring diagram and there isn’t a way you can connect it to illumination without disturbing something unfortunately. According to the diagram the wire colour for the instrument pack illumination is red and blue, alternatively you could try and route it to the clock in the centre which has a solid red wire for illumination.

Either way you’re going to have to disturb something to get it hooked into the instrument illumination circuit. Alternatively you could wire it to a permanent live but it would be lit up constantly whilst the engine is running.
I don't mind that it is lit up 100% of the time. Any recommendations for this route?

Old 12-02-2023, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

If you can get two lengths of wire that will reach the other side of the car there is a feed for a 12V socket plug at the back of the glove box.

This would’ve been for an additional socket or the optional torch, but I see no reason why you couldn’t plug into that for your gauge. From memory, it only works with the ignition, but best doublecheck with a test light first.