XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Bought vcm 1. Dud of course but why

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Unfortunately this vcm is going to the shelf. It worked all the spring flawlessly until I plugged in to my car at the first time. Something was shorted inside between last use and this time. Headunit turned on with keys in my pocket. Pulled vcm out immetiadely and hu shut down. Vcm smelld burned. Dang.
Then I opened it up and saw that the car side signal processing area had burned spot in the pcb. PCB seems to be 4 layer board(2 in + top and bottom).Ground via was heated up so hot it burned itself visible from the middle. I dared to use vcm after through measuring for the shorts. It worked every time I used until today. Today it worked but was flacky. Now it has burned pcb next to previous place. But differently and not ground via.

My collection had 2 partially dead vcm with both broken same place. Now collection has three units. There clearly seems to be somekind of either old electronics going bad or design failure because all of these brokes about same area.
Luckily I have mongoose, a good chinese copy. It works to my x308 way more reliably than vcm1. It can not do everything that vcm can But what it does better is: It just works. I don't recommend that anyone spends money to the vcm. It can easily be money pit. Unless someone who can speak out their findings and is willing to spread the info to us how to check and repair the most common failures that these boards suffer from. I have read that there is such component that fails often

Last edited by Vauxi; Yesterday at 01:18 PM.