XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

BPM replacement part number

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts
Default BPM replacement part number

I’ve read a number of threads, and I think I can replace my BPM as long as the part number matches, but I want to verify before I buy one.

I’m attaching a picture of the VCATS label from the spare tire area. Do the numbers after the slash mean anything to me, or can I focus only on the part number LNC2500CE? Do I have to verify that the donor car had the same options as mine?

If you’re curious: I am attempting to solve a long running electrical glitch that I have posted about before. The security light near the shifter occasionally glows dimly, and the wiper sometimes randomly wipes on its own. I have tried many ideas, but I’m now convinced the problem lies with the BPM. If I have researched correctly, it should be just plug and play, and it will either fix my problem or not, but I can revert to my old one if needed. It is not a terribly expensive experiment.

If you could answer my questions regarding the numbers, I’ll be more confident that I’m getting the correct part. Thank you!

Last edited by aquifer; 10-28-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,812 Likes on 2,242 Posts

If you don't get the 017 it may work, but it's also possible that Jag software will have to be used to allow it to interface with the ECU.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

When I replaced my BPM, the labels on both the old and new modules were "LNC2500CE/XXX". I'm assuming the "XXX" means that it works with all options/models that use that part number BPM.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Samilcar
When I replaced my BPM, the labels on both the old and new modules were "LNC2500CE/XXX". I'm assuming the "XXX" means that it works with all options/models that use that part number BPM.
Did you take any extra steps to verify that the donor car had the same options as yours? Or did it just work fine?

Old 10-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

No, I just matched the "LNC2500CE". Newer model X308s do have different part numbers for this part (ex: LNG2500AB for 2001s), so I believe that as long as you make sure the first part of the part number matches, you should be good. The replacement solved my problem (no tail lights due to burning out the BPM with an improper power resistor/LED tail light combination) and everything else now works perfectly.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The important part of the number is the CE. With modules you can go up in software version but not down. E.G. CF or CG will work but CC or CD will not.
The module differences for operation will be determined by what has been activated in the module. An example if Universal Opening has been turned off in the new module it will no longer work on your car once installed, but can be turned back on by dealer software.Features in the module can be turned on and off with dealer software.
The numbers after the / are applicable to what was initiated at installation. When you look at modules they will all have part # /xxxx

Old 10-29-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

/XXX does NOT mean that it works with all options/models that use that part number.

It meansthat the software code was not assigned when the label was applied.
When ordering (or swapping) modules, you need to interrogate the module (Use PDU, WDS or IDS) for the software coding or use the VCATS label in the car to verify correct module.

The coding for the XK series cars it ESPECIALLY important because if you install a coupe BPM in a CONV the top WILL NOT FUNCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The BPM is not configured for conv top because a coupe does NOT have a conv top.

You might get a random BPM to work in your car but might get messages in the INST PK that will not clear or certain features that no longer function.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
avern1 (10-29-2017), Samilcar (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:16 PM

I appreciate the input, everyone. I found one on eBay so we’ll see what happens.

I’m curious: Where is the odometer information stored?

Old 08-17-2023, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 Jaguar XJ Vaden Plas, I had a faulty BCM LNG2500AC/047, which I replaced with LNG2500AB/047. With the Donar BCM, I was able to start the car, and pretty much everything worked except keyless locking and unlocking. The car ran for about half an hour, then did not start at all. My question donar BCM has to be re-programmed to the car or do I have to get the same BCM as before?