XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Brake Fluid Low

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Brake Fluid Low

Hello,

My first post - having just purchased a used 2001 XJR with 75,xxx miles.

I have a 'Brake Fluid Low' message on the console and the handbrake light is on. The car drives fine and brakes well including the abs kicking in. I have inspected the fluid and i would say that it is over full. I have unclipped the sensor wire and reconnected all to no avail.

1. Wondering if anybody else has experienced this?
2. Are there any diagnostics i can perform to check the voltage/resistance etc?
3. Is the sensor a part of the fluid resevoir and if the fault is with the sensor do i need the fluid resevoir as a replacement?

Thanks,
Darren

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

The brake fluid sensor is connected to the ABS traction control module. Might check the connectors there. The reservoir sensor switch is normally closed.

Make sure the hand brake lever is fully released and fully seated. Pull the handle up, depress the button, lower it all the way.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

jump the 2 pins on the connector to the brake reservoir to verify operation, if the light goes out, you need a new reservoir/sensor assembly. for the prk brake pull up on it and try releasing again, that switch is very sensitive to ANY application of the brake handle. And if its released, same thing, jump the connector pins on the switch after removing the brake handle cover around the base to check operation( I have never seen 1 fail in 13 yrs, but then IN flat Texas we dont use the park brake )

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
andrewrichardson (06-27-2013), Jhartz (06-24-2013)
Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Great info - jumped the pins on the sensor, the light did not go out. Where is the ABS module located so i can check those connections?

Have not got to the handbrake yet. I also have identified a blown 20A (no 12 front)fuse, but it i think it is the fog light.

Thanks,
Darren

Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Brake fluid low warning

I have had the ABS light on for a while now, with messages ASC not available, TSC not available, with no ABS or traction control function. I checked the wiring on all wheel sensors and the sensors themselves, and found no problems, so I stripped out the ABS block and ECU, opened up the ECU hoping to find the dry solder refered to in other posts, but it was all fine, sealed it back up , fittied it back on the car, bled up the brakes, still have the ABS light on and the ASC and TSC messages, then about a week later, I got the brake fluid low message, with the red light and the handbrake warning light on. Brakes work fine except still no ABS or traction control functions, fluid level is fine. I am assuming it is related to me stripping out the ABS unit and bleeding up the brakes, so my next step is to get a "new" ABS block and ECU and fit them, unless anyone can point me in a cheaper direction. I sdont mind driving around without ABS or Traction control, but even though I know there is plenty of fluid and no leaks, i dont like driving with red warning lights on.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by brian5
I have had the ABS light on for a while now, with messages ASC not available, TSC not available, with no ABS or traction control function. I checked the wiring on all wheel sensors and the sensors themselves, and found no problems, so I stripped out the ABS block and ECU, opened up the ECU hoping to find the dry solder refered to in other posts, but it was all fine, sealed it back up , fittied it back on the car, bled up the brakes, still have the ABS light on and the ASC and TSC messages, then about a week later, I got the brake fluid low message, with the red light and the handbrake warning light on. Brakes work fine except still no ABS or traction control functions, fluid level is fine. I am assuming it is related to me stripping out the ABS unit and bleeding up the brakes, so my next step is to get a "new" ABS block and ECU and fit them, unless anyone can point me in a cheaper direction. I sdont mind driving around without ABS or Traction control, but even though I know there is plenty of fluid and no leaks, i dont like driving with red warning lights on.
It could be the ABS wiring from the sensors. Get it diagnosed with someone who has a Jag code reader, dealer or good indy. It will be cheaper than replacing the ABS module.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 AM

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, thanks for the advice, low fluid light and warnings went off not long after I posted, ABS and the rest are still on, but still not got round to booking it in for a check up, I don't use the Jag too much at the moment anyway, only done 1500 miles in a year as I am busy at work, I use my trusty old Rover 75 oil burner for that. No way am I taking the Jag down any mucky old railway access roads.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A Scotsman with an XJR and a Rover 75.

I take my Aberdonian hat off to you mate.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Ah yes, but it's not an XJR, it's just the wee one, a 3.2 sport, and It only gets out at the weekends, and only when it's dry, and this being Scotland that's pretty much 2 days a year, LOL

Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Almost forgot to mention the 1973 Triumph Dolomite 1850 thats been sitting in the back garden gathering moss for 6 years waiting for me to restore it, it's not looking good the wife is getting a wee bit peeved about that one

Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 443 Posts

LOL, restoration is not an easy job at all , may be you can get it done by some professionals

Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM

I will run that Idea past the wife, but I think I know what the answer will be........

Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM

I got the pin diagram for the ABS module on the forum, got a multimeter and went to work, guess what................ Left hand Front Link Wire is goosed.
9 months the ABS light has been on and I have had TSC not available ASC not available all that time.
During that time I checked all the sensors with a multimeter, cleaned all sensors and connectors and the reluctor rings, stripped out the ABS pump and module, opened the module and checked the solder.
All because I am Scottish and as tight as a ducks whatsit and refuse to pay someone £60 to plug it in to a laptop and say "its your left hand front Link wire thats goosed"......... I'd rather find the fault myself, and I now have done thanks to this forum, and all it cost me, apart form all my own time, is £14.50 for a used link lead off Ebay.
Thanks guys, would never have found it without you.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Should add it was an internal break in the white wire in the link lead, right at the sensor end, if it had been in the middle of the lead I would have opened it up and joined it, but it was right at the bottom of the lead where the hardened shirk wrap meets the multi plug, so I treated myself and splashed out the £14.50 on a "new" wire

Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 AM

hi dmchilton, I have the smae problem as you had. how eneded yours?
thanks,

rob

Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rob,

See Post #3 in this thread for the test procedure to identify where the fault is.

When you get a minute, please follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/ne...-intro-must-5/ to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Default Low brake and parking brake

I think I have faulty cable/connector thats comes up when heated... The brake fluid container is already replaced, but that didn't fix the problem.
The warning is most of the time away, but comes back after the engine heats up, and, ALWAYS the combination of parking brake and low brake fluid.
It can dissapear and come back randomly.

I did disconnect the connector to the ABS/TCS box, and cleaned it with some contact spray. Didn't make a difference.

As these two errors always come up together, could it be I have _one_ problematic cable, that is shared by these to modules?

Anyone?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Hi Guys i have a xj8 2000 with low brake fluid dashboard indicator i jumped the cable as advised by brutal on earlier post, the brake fluid warning remains please advise what to do next thanks Andrew Pasadena california

ps the fluid level is full

Old 06-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Hi this is andrew again jaguar xj8 4.0 litre year 2000 mileage 145,000 removed and cleaned all the abs sensors checked and cleaned brake module electrical plug topped up brake fluid still says low brake fluid please can anyone help ?