XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Brake Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014 | 04:23 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Brake Info

I thought I would post this up as I have had a few questions asked to me about brake options.....

The most common question has been "do X350 Brembos fit the X308 or X100s?"

Simple answer is no, not without some trickery

The pic below shows the main 3 types of brakes used (I would of posted up the APs but they have been sold)

From top to bottom, your standard Brembo, Alcon 6 pot as fitted to X150, Portfolios etc, last X350 Brembo

The standard Brembo caliper is a simple upgrade, all you have to do is either bolt them straight on, this you can do with the early type that had a bolted on bracket otherwise you have to tap out the upright mounting holes to 14mm X 1.5mm pitch. In both cases you will have to either change the back plate, flatten it (my personal preference) or cut it. A good mod in my opinion, looks great, improved braking, less fade on heavy use (you won't really notice this unless you go on a track).
I do have a couple of gripes mainly concerning the discs, they take looking after especially if you have the cross drilled! Every couple of months it is worth clearing the holes out, these fill up with brake dust and stop the discs from doing there job, this intern can cause fade, squealing and judder. My biggest issue with road use cross drilled discs is they have a nasty habit of cracking between the holes, in extreme circumstances they have been known to break up!!

Brembo conversion done on a XK8

Alcon these look fantastic, can be used with standard Brembo discs but the pads would need to be shimmed as they are meant to take 36mm thick discs, it is possible to use the Alcon discs/rotors, these are 400mm and quite cheap to buy, however they would have to have the PCDs redrilled and a spacer fitted between the disc and hub. Alcons are simple to mount due to there design, you bolt them on via a bracket straight through the body. The first set I fitted to an X100 did give a bit of a spongy feel to the pedal, we got over this by fitting a servo and master from an X150, without doing this the brakes still worked well but the feel was a bit disconcerting, unsure how this would be on a X308 (I beleive Sean will be better to answer that question).

I always liked this pic

X350 Brembo is a monoblock style caliper, basically they are one lump and do not separate like the earlier brembos. The hole spacing is 158mm (?), this causes a bit of a prob! To get a good position on the disc the caliper sits too low, the lower bolt hole half covers the lower bolt hole of the upright, this then causes a problem fitting a bracket, if you lower the caliper to give enough room this then fouls the steering track rod end, if you go above you foul the top ball joint!

So I did this and machined off the lugs, there is plenty of material to get a 12mm tapped hole in there.

This gives you a lot more options, would be great if you could drill right through like the Alcons, but you can't....... This is as far as I have got, the setup maybe a little different on the XJ as apposed to the XK but my surmise was if the early Brembos fit both cars and I know the X350 type dont fit the XKs then what are the chances they will fit the X308??..... I don't see this as a commercially viable option but I will have a go and doing the conversion if it works I will put all the info up with drawings and dimensions.....

I will let you know!

Attached Thumbnails Brake Info-bab1_zps8b0bdc4d.jpg   Brake Info-brembo_zps3522ef33.jpg   Brake Info-img_1398.jpg   Brake Info-alcon1_zpsef8134cc.jpg   Brake Info-disccaliper.jpg  

Brake Info-x350brem_zps5802e21b.jpg   Brake Info-x350brem1_zpse9294a4d.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
vincent661983 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014 | 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

thank you so much, cant ask for more about the question I sent you previously .

I am considering X350 is because it was more widely available on the market also with a reason price then R1 or alcon counterpart

I do understand it has to be heavily modified

to throw this question further, what if I use or could use the X350 wheelhud and spindle ?

Last edited by vincent661983; 03-20-2014 at 02:00 PM.