XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

brake light on the right stays on

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

this is the module under the fusebox in the trunk? buy a new one from Jaguar, or second hand and reprogram at the dealer?
I doubt it could be repaired, depending on the connection and damage to the chip.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

How bout a high resolution picture of the 'broken chip'? Virtually anything can be repaired if you have the technical ability (or have a good friend that does). The primary issue is determining what the failure truly is and what the component that failed really is (does it have intact labeling, for instance).

Last edited by QuadManiac; 07-14-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a look at www.car-part.com and see how much a used one is going for. Might be able to pick one up cheaper then attempting to repair it.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I am new to the forum for the very reason of my brake light not going on in the 2002 XJR. I have been told it is likely the security module and that there is no power coming from an orange wire coming from the module. I could not find the module though and have no idea what it looks like. I read that you said it is under the fuse box. Can the fuse box be removed with ease? I am afraid of causing more problems for myself by digging around too much in there!

Also, do you know if the part number for this module is LNC 2600 HD? That is what my research is leaning towards and I am thinking I should probably start my everlasting search for a reasonably priced used security module.

Thanks in advance for any help as it is much appreciated!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

The device that goes bad is called a "smart silicon switch" There are two different part numbers for pre and post MY 2000 models. It is a SMD and if you do not know what that means, you should forget replacing it yourself. (or find an electronics type who does know and get him to help!).
The exact part number is not readily available, but a positive gate sss of the right spec is available from Digi-key or Newark
BTW, the module is under the fuse panel to the rear of the battery. It is AFAIK the only module in that location.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by cschaul
Hey I am new to the forum for the very reason of my brake light not going on in the 2002 XJR. I have been told it is likely the security module and that there is no power coming from an orange wire coming from the module. I could not find the module though and have no idea what it looks like. I read that you said it is under the fuse box. Can the fuse box be removed with ease? I am afraid of causing more problems for myself by digging around too much in there!

Also, do you know if the part number for this module is LNC 2600 HD? That is what my research is leaning towards and I am thinking I should probably start my everlasting search for a reasonably priced used security module.

Thanks in advance for any help as it is much appreciated!
Are you sure you are looking at the correct light? If it is not coming on could be that you are looking at the rear fog light and not the brake light. If I am wrong let me apologies now.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Hey thanks for the reply. I did not know what an SMD was but I do now and it looks like it would be a crapshoot for me to try to repair it! Are components that are mounted in SMD fashion usually able to be repaired?

I did find the SLCM last night when I got home from work. There was enough light and I could easily see it under the fuse box. I would have no problems replacing it if I found a reasonably priced unit but I would guess that the odds of finding one are slim to none and slim just left town!

The brake light is the light that is out for sure. Check Rear Lights comes on everytime I press the brake and every week I have someone driving next to me try to tell me that my brake light is out! I hope that I can find someone capable of fixing this module. There was a poster on another thread, Jack, who offered to repair anybody's module if they paid for the components and shipping. I replied to him and am waiting on his response.

Thanks again guys for the patience and help, much appreciated! If there are any new developments I will be sure to update this thread.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

having the same issue. have you heard anything from jack yet?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Not yet, I am not holding my breath anymore! I have yet to attempt a fix as well. I have been searching for a used and reasonably priced SLCM for the past few weeks with no success.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 8,142 Likes on 4,912 Posts

You should make sure that the part numbers and 'suffix' match. I have never tried to configure a module without the last 3 digits matching. If you order a new SLCM from a dealer they will ask for the last digits (or they won't order it). You can use WDS, IDS etc. to interogate the module or just read the VCATS label in the boot to get the correct part#. The Vehicle Configuration And Technical Specification label has all the modules and the suffixes that need that type of info for configuration.

bob gauff

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

If you wish to attempt to fix your module, I can walk you through it, assuming you have reasonable electonic soldering skill, or know someone who does, and you have tools such as a variable temp soldering pencil, board vise, precision needle nose pliers, a magnifier lamp, and so on. All I would ask is that you document the process, with pictures, and post here. You in?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Good advice, thanks for the help!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Default locking & security module needs replacing.

My rear right tail/brake light stayed on even with the car turned off.
Mechanic tells me that the "locking & security module" has to be replaced to the tune of $1100.
I have a 2001 Vanden Plas V8 base engine with 70,000 miles on it, and besides the tail light issues, I also have a leaking coolant system, (even after replacing the thermostat!), it was suggested that I also replace a wiring harness, need to replace a bushing, 2/3 of the instrument panel lights are out, the 'low oil pressure' warning light has gone off, and the heater/air conditioner fan is making a loud noise. Did I mention that I also replaced the serpentine belt yesterday?
The car is beautiful to look at and very comfortable to ride in, but mechanically, they're junk.
I'm gonna trade this thing in for a Ford or something....

Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by bexpet
My rear right tail/brake light stayed on even with the car turned off.
Mechanic tells me that the "locking & security module" has to be replaced to the tune of $1100.
I have a 2001 Vanden Plas V8 base engine with 70,000 miles on it, and besides the tail light issues, I also have a leaking coolant system, (even after replacing the thermostat!), it was suggested that I also replace a wiring harness, need to replace a bushing, 2/3 of the instrument panel lights are out, the 'low oil pressure' warning light has gone off, and the heater/air conditioner fan is making a loud noise. Did I mention that I also replaced the serpentine belt yesterday?
The car is beautiful to look at and very comfortable to ride in, but mechanically, they're junk.
I'm gonna trade this thing in for a Ford or something....
The jobs you list could be fixed in less than a day by someone competent.

second hand module, with exact part no# and v-cats code (year and model usually sufficient) to fix the brake issue. V-cats sticker located around the spare wheel well rim might need to pull the carpet. Listed as SLCM.

Pressure test the coolant system, locate leaking hose and replace.

Wiring harness replacement because of what?

10 minutes to replace instrument lights. Bulbs from Jaguar are expensive, why not try led's.

Fan's - it'll be a blower motor, either driver or passenger side, not difficult to replace, just a tight area to work in. Again secondhand units available cheaply. Or just disconnect it.

Oil warning, when was it last changed filter too? what grade and type of oil, they're fussy but it's an English thoroughbred, not a Ford engine.