XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Breather system

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021 | 08:17 AM
|
Default Breather system

So if I understand this correctly, the full load breather brings air in under low load and vents out during high load? If so, what's the trigger point? At what point does it reverse? Is it just a matter of when the low load allows too m7ch positive pressure to build? If so, that's a pretty fine line when it cones to oil leaks allowing it to even build.
I understand it was probably balanced when everything is stock and new, but what about as wear occurs and blowby naturally increases? I'm beginning to see why oil leaks are so prevalent in these things.
I get oil in my intake tube that runs down to my new filter since it's on a downward angle and doesn't get carried to the intake with the air. At least not all of it. I'm thinking the added air flow of a COI might require more vacuum or a bigger orifice in the low load to equal out and prevent oil coming out of the high load or worse, gaskets and seals.
Or even better, the low load becomes an all load and the high load an air in only. This is how other systems work. The high load is actually called a fire supressor in some bringing fresh air in. Has anyone gone this direction? This is where I plan on going with it using a vacuum pump and catch can on the low load side doing the evac. The full load brings air in thru a filter installed on the valve cover and not thru the intake tube.
The added vacuum of a pump will not only evac better but cut back on blowby in the first place by promoting better ring seal.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 09-12-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2021 | 02:27 AM
|

Something that's occurred me recently given my ongoing crankcase breather mod. Many of you have increased air in by installing cold air intakes that increase airflow into the intake. Would this not increase air in to the crankcase thru the full load breather? And is the 3/32 opening of the part load breather still sufficient in removing crankcase pressure given the air in? Has anyone made that slightly larger and/or considerably larger and installed a check valve/pcv like the newer models use?
I want to eliminate the full load breather from reversing flow by keeping/maintaining a vacuum on the part load breather under full load using a secondary source of vacuum eliminating oil from entering the intake tubing/air filter. Possibly eliminating it altogether as a means to increase vacuum in the crankcase by not bringing air in to it.