XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Breather tube hack advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Breather tube hack advice

I had a leak from the heater hose that goes under the supercharger, so removed the SC Sunday to do the repair. Unfortunately, I busted a breather hose that runs from the front under the SC to the throttle body, where it Ts on... I broke it right at the T, and my question is this: would a repair from a tube of JB Weld be acceptable, or other suitable adhesive?

The darn thing is $50 plus shipping, and has to be ordered, so time is an issue (well, so is cost). It's part description is HOSE-PART LOAD B, part number AJ84879.

This is a breather tube from the valve cover, so it seems to me my hack should be OK.

Opinions or advice?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldeanrogers
I had a leak from the heater hose that goes under the supercharger, so removed the SC Sunday to do the repair. Unfortunately, I busted a breather hose that runs from the front under the SC to the throttle body, where it Ts on... I broke it right at the T, and my question is this: would a repair from a tube of JB Weld be acceptable, or other suitable adhesive?

The darn thing is $50 plus shipping, and has to be ordered, so time is an issue (well, so is cost). It's part description is HOSE-PART LOAD B, part number AJ84879.

This is a breather tube from the valve cover, so it seems to me my hack should be OK.

Opinions or advice?

Thanks
I fixed mine with some Black RTV. I got a copper tube just large enough to fit inside the hose then spliced it back together using Black RTV as the glue. Never had trouble after that. Just be sure the RTV you use is fuel/oil/temp safe.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Good idea, SS. I got good results with the JB Weld, the fix is stronger than the hose.

Had to get it set using some duct tape and 5 minute epoxy sparingly used just to hold it for the JB Weld. Let the 5 min cure for an hour, put the JBW on generously, and it is solid and airtight, and did not change the inner diameter.