XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Broken cupholder in 1999 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016 | 12:18 PM
|
Default Broken cupholder in 1999 XJ8

My cupholder in the center arm rest won't stay closed... Any suggestions on how to fix it??????

Thanks

Old 09-10-2016 | 12:31 PM

Replace it or glue it closed: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...upholder-5506/ - go down to motorcarman's post for details. I replaced mine with the metal hinged part. Way overpriced for what it is, but I quickly grew tired of dealing with the broken one.

Old 09-10-2016 | 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Mine broke at the hinges as well - when I had the center console apart for cleaning and other things, I pulled the two springs that push the holder open. They're going to be part of the cupholder assy which you will need to open the whole lid to get to.

Now it stays shut and you just need to pull it to open it, and I'll eventually replace it with something else. Having an armrest is more important than cupholders, for now.

Old 09-10-2016 | 05:10 PM

When mine did this, it was because one of the hinge pins had snapped. You could maneuver the cupholder closed but any slight bump and it would come open. So what I did, was used a small piece of aluminum bar and make a new "pin" for it. Depends on why yours doesn't close, but that's why mine wouldn't.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016 | 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hesser
My cupholder in the center arm rest won't stay closed... Any suggestions on how to fix it??????

Thanks

Hi Hesser,

I have my share of experience fiddling with cupholder repairs and have had some success over the years.

The prong or nib on the forward end of the sliding latch button tends to wear over time, rounding off a bit and preventing it from securing the spring-loaded cupholder in place. There are two things you can try, and their easier if you remove the arm rest from the center console. There are a few screws at the hinge and maybe one screw on the support arm if yours is so equipped.

With the arm rest upside down, loosen the four screws on the plastic underplate near the cupholder end. Two of the screws are smaller than the others. Loosen the screws just enough that you can gently pry the plastic away from the leather-covered arm rest. If the parts are stuck together you may have to remove these four screws and loosen the ones in the middle or even at the rear end of the underplate.

Once you have the underplate loosened from the leather of the arm rest, gently push the cupholder assembly toward the rear of the arm rest. If the cupholder will move slightly, it may close the gap between the latch point on the leading edge of the cupholder and the prong on the latch button. While maintaining your pressure on the cupholder mechanism, re-tighten the screws.

If the above doesn't solve the problem, you can try another tweak, but it requires disassembly of the arm rest. Remove all the screws from the underplate and carefully separate it from the arm rest. Watch carefully for any parts that may fall loose and pay very close attention to how things are assembled.

Once you have things apart to the point that you can access the underside of the sliding latch button, you'll see one or two screws that secure the button to the top of the arm rest. (I think it's only one screw but I may be wrong). Loosen the screw(s) just enough to to allow the latch button mechanism to move slightly. Push it toward the cupholder just a little and re-tighten the screw(s). You can't move it forward very much or the dent in the leather from the button's original position will be visible. But you can usually push it forward enough to increase its reach toward the latching point on the cupholder.

If you're willing to try and have the patience and persistence, these two tweaks may be enough to allow your cupholder to be latched closed again.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-10-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2016 | 10:08 PM

What I did to mine was I bought some construction paper. Used a color as close to the console as possible. Cut a small piece and slipped it under the button latch. I think I even doubled it over. Worked it under until it couldn't be seen. It put just enough forward pressure to keep it shut. 13 months later it still stays closed going over bumps, hitting it by mistake. Yet opens with a press of the button.