XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Broken Door Cable ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Door Cable ?

I just pulled the cable from my driver's door (98 XJ8). I found that the end had broken off and I can not find anyone that sells the cable(without having to buy the handle too,$130). The cable is a little bigger than a bicycle brake cable, about the size of a motorcycle cable, with a mushroom shaped end. I can not find anyone who sells the cable by itself. I saw the $2 fix but my cable will be too short. I am looking for a shop that will make me a cable, I may have to buy the swedge tool myself. Looks like there might be market for these cables??? or does someone sell them?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hi,
I just moved off your post to the proper forum so that you get more answer

Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Hello lostpinky, I am here with good news for you. I have just replaced my RH rear door lock on my 01 XJ, and have a spare cable which I could send to you if you liked. Thing is I don't know if this cable I have is the same length as the one you need. If you measure it I will tell you if the one I have is ok. I'm in Great Britain, but postage shouldn't be a problem. Let me know if I can help! Stu.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Wow Stu! Thanks! I have a call into Motorcars Ltd to see if they will sell me the cable by itself. I am still interested in yours. Please email me direct markdickens2000*yahoo*com

Old 02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have an inside door latch on my 95 that is in need of repair it seems that it will not go back to the home position. I think I will follow your post.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

I replaced my RH rear door lock mech complete with motor, as mine was broken. It was a long jib but easy really. If you like I can write up the procedure for you on here. Hope I can be of help. S.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

That would be great. All of my procedures were done to help others.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

I will write up the Procedure from memory, though I have no photos to post. This probably isn't the correct method, but I did it and it all works well.

1) Remove the door panel and unplug everything and put it somewhere out the way (Backseat?) After that, peel off the foam type covering, remove the old Mastic off it and put it with the panel.

2) Mark where the chrome locking sits on the rod, then unscrew and remove it. Next using a torx head, remove the black window frame screw you can see through the cut out in the door frame. This is because you will need it to move slightly when removing the locking mech. After this, flick off the plastic cover from the window corner, and remove that screw too.

3) Looking into the door, find the outer door handle mounting frame and undo the screws using a 7mm spanner. Working on the outside of the door, lift the outer handle from the body, and remove it from its rod making note of how it looked. Reach in and pull out the metal mounting frame. Next using a flat head screw driver flick the rod off the locking mechanism. This can be done from either side of the door.

4) Undo the 3 screws holding the lock mechanism to the door frame, and put them somewhere safe. Working at the interior door handle, pull the plastic retainer off where the door cable is connected and pull out cable.

5) Unhook the locking motor from the mechanism, and then manoeuvre the unit so you can undo the 2 Phillips screws that connect it to the mechanism. Let the motor hang down in the door frame, and then gently begin guiding the mechanism out. You will have to push the child lock into the door, and remove the door pin rod. The window frame should move just enough to allow this, but be careful not to force it, as the window could shatter. Guide the mechanism through the cut out and out the vehicle.

Refitting is a reversal of the removal with the following tips:
1) Re fit the outer door handle rod by lining it up, and gently knock it on with a pin hammer or similar.
2) Whilst you have the door in bits, take this opportunity to tighten all the screws and bolts you can see as they may be slightly loose as some of mine were.
3) Clean and Polish the paint where the outer door handle has been sat.
4) When refitting the chrome pin, line it up with its old position so the lock will function correctly.
5) Fully oil, grease and lubricate the locking mechanism to save problems later in life.
6) I used some sort of super powerful PVA glue to refit the foam to the door, but you can use anything thats strong but not permanent.

Removing the door cable from the mechanism is simple. Look for where it connects, and then flick off the metal clip holding it in. Then use a screw driver to move it out of its position and away.

As I said, most of that is from memory, but you may find I've forgotten something. To be honest it is an easy job once you start, I only got annoyed when refitting the door panel!

I hope this is helpful to you all! S.

The following users liked this post:
mike schubert (10-13-2013)
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 PM

You might try attaching a fishing lead split shot weight to the end and crimping it with pliers. not sure how short the cable is. You can shorten the casing by pulling the cable out and cutting the casing maybe an inch then slide the cable back through the end. keep both ends of the cable just cut out an inch or so in the middle. then tape the cable back together.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have all four doors with all hardware in them from a 2001 XJ8 that was totaled.

PM me with what you guys need.