XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Bulb renewal, leaper removal & CD changer removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb renewal, leaper removal & CD changer removal

Hello,

As I mentioned in my introduction I am a brand new Jag owner as of last week. Mine is a 2003 XJ8, and there are a few items I need assistance with:

-first I need to replace the parking light bulb located within the inner headlight. I have tried turning the plastic tab counter clockwise by hand, gently with needle nose pliers, and by spring WD-40 where the socket turns into the housing in order to loosen the part-all without success. the bulb holder will not budge and I'm afraid of breaking the tab by using too much force. I can barely get my hand into the space, which makes getting proper leverage next to impossible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-next, I'm very concerned about having my leaper stolen and the associated bonnet damage which accompanies that. I will have someone alter the leaper and plinth with a type of locking pin so as to make the cat removable when required, leaving just the plinth behind. I have removed the nut which hold the plinth on the underside of the bonnet, yet the leaper nor the plinth are loosened in the slightest. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maneuver the spring through the threaded tube which penetrates the hood, and remove the plinth without damaging the paint?

-finally I have to remove the CD changer in the trunk to make an adjustment to the worn gear, as I'm experiencing the common "No Disc" message in spite of the fact the magazine is full. Does anyone know how to remove the changer from the inside of the trunk?

Thanks in advance for any help which may be out there! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:47 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Welcome to the forum Burl. I've moved your post from the General Tech to the X308 model specific area, since these issues are related to your vehicle model.

Have a search through the X308 section using the search tool, I think you'll find some answers to your questions.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:10 AM

Thank you Cambo 351; I will look there.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Default Still need help please

I am a brand new Jag owner as of last week. Mine is a 2003 XJ8, and despite my efforts to resolve them, there are a few items I need assistance with please:

-first I need to replace the parking light bulb located within the inner headlight. I have tried turning the plastic tab counter clockwise by hand, gently with needle nose pliers, and by spring WD-40 where the socket turns into the housing in order to loosen the part-all without success. the bulb holder will not budge and I'm afraid of breaking the tab by using too much force. I can barely get my hand into the space, which makes getting proper leverage next to impossible. A previous post describes where the tab is, but nowhere could I find suggestions on troubleshooting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-next, I'm very concerned about having my leaper stolen and the associated bonnet damage which accompanies that. I will have someone alter the leaper and plinth with a type of locking pin so as to make the cat removable when required, leaving just the plinth behind. I have removed the nut which hold the plinth on the underside of the bonnet, yet the leaper nor the plinth are loosened in the slightest. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maneuver the spring through the threaded tube which penetrates the hood, and remove the plinth without damaging the paint?

-finally I have to remove the CD changer in the trunk to make an adjustment to the worn gear, as I'm experiencing the common "No Disc" message in spite of the fact the magazine is full. Does anyone know how to remove the changer from the inside of the trunk? Must the carpet be removed from the wall or does the changer come out without moving the carpet? Must the face of the changer be roved prior to removal of the unit itself?

Thanks in advance for any help which may be out there! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

1) Look at this youtube video on headlights (2003 Jaguar XJ):

2) Look at these other threads on Leaper

Make your Leaper removable:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...movable-25921/

repairing broken Leaper - - look at post# 10 in following thread per next weblink:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-broken-78041/

3) CD Disc Changer removal thread - posting:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...36/#post436686

4) Repair CD Disc Changer DIY - PDF file:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...kos-weblog.pdf

Also I found these comments from roadfly forum about the CD Player issue:

Smacked the stack with a rubber mallet, not hard. But it popped out.

Tapped the cd magazine with the handle of a screwdriver. Hey presto, the discs loaded and its working fine now.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-02-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:14 PM

Thank you for your helpful reply, Jim! I appreciate your assistance, and I will certainly look into these suggestions.