XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Bullet Sedans: BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG, Jaguar XJR. (Mar. 2000 C/D)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

From the title it was the second one, "BMW M5 vs. Jaguar XJR".

The following users liked this post:
Ipc838 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ianclements
It seems like all of us have considered the E39 M5 at some point... I might
get one, if I weren't terrified of the reliability. And if low mileage examples
weren't fetching over $30k. (In the UK, an M5 can be had for under $8k. even
a ragged out M5 here goes for 12-13k, which is the money for a nice XJR.)

I have driven one, and it was the best 4d I have ever driven. Amazing engine,
sounded awesome, silky 6 speed gearbox, and the quietness and composure
of a 530i. Don't forget, (this is for Sean B especially!) in the M5 you get a suede
headliner... the plebeian standard XJR has no such accoutrements. Also note
the modern centre stack, with standard 7" nav screen. The Jag, though, just
looks great, and has a lot of stuff the M5 doesn't.

Let's start with the lovely body. The bigger boot, the 2 cup-holders (lament no more, the M5 has one puny example, making the XJ's cup-holder look like a Godsent), the superior grip, the better comfort, the softer seats, and the superior
interior trim. The BMW's optional leather-covered dash, however, is pretty nice.

Also note that this XJR is a marvel of reliability... they really were beautifully made
and engineered to last. The M5 is a high-maintenance car. That's all that can be said.

Doug, I don't know if I agree with the boy-racer image. You do get that with some
BMWs, but the M5 is distinctly grown up when viewed next to the M3, 135i, and 335i.

And I agree in saying the BMW is a gorgeous car. It is a timeless design, the E39
5, and the M5 is the top iteration of that body. It still looks great today.

I have a few pictures of my car next to a pretty blue M5 (my friend's M)
and the Jag doesn't look quite as good. At least not my Jag. I'm working on improving its appearance (i.e., straightening bodywork) at the moment though. Blue '03 M5 vs Blue '03 XJR R1? Easy choice.
I am biased against silver though... I'm an avowed fan of colours
with more presence.

I'll attach a picture for camparison purposes (note my XJR-100 exhausts!)

Ian

How bad are the body problems on your car? In your pictures, your car always looks flawless.

I used to have the "i should have gotten the other car" envy back in like 2004-2005 when I first got my VDP, but when I see the cars today that were cool then (ex. the brand new at the time Infiniti G35 coupe), they look much worse than my car and aged poorly in comparison. I used to think my VDP was slow and too floaty, but maybe im just getting older, but ironically, as my car ages and breaks more, I'm liking my car more and think it looks as good as ever and turns many more heads than the vast majority of cars. A good X308 can still get valet parked in front of a fancy hotel/restaurant, and I don't think the M5 will necessarily get the same treatment from non-car enthusiasts. I don't drive as fast as I used to so it feels fast unless I'm trying to compete against someone in a legit powerful car. But then again, a VDP isn't expected to be fast, and 0-60mph under 7 seconds isn't an expectation, but a bonus.

Btw I just got a speeding ticket for 94mph in a 70mph zone! I was cruising between 80-115mph for 15 hours.

Last edited by burmaz; 06-07-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
How bad are the body problems on your car? In your pictures, your car always looks flawless.

I used to have the "i should have gotten the other car" envy back in like 2004-2005 when I first got my VDP, but when I see the cars today that were cool then (ex. the brand new at the time Infiniti G35 coupe), they look much worse than my car and aged poorly in comparison. I used to think my VDP was slow and too floaty, but maybe im just getting older, but ironically, as my car ages and breaks more, I'm liking my car more and think it looks as good as ever and turns many more heads than the vast majority of cars. A good X308 can still get valet parked in front of a fancy hotel/restaurant, and I don't think the M5 will necessarily get the same treatment from non-car enthusiasts. I don't drive as fast as I used to so it feels fast unless I'm trying to compete against someone in a legit powerful car. But then again, a VDP isn't expected to be fast, and 0-60mph under 7 seconds isn't an expectation, but a bonus.

Btw I just got a speeding ticket for 94mph in a 70mph zone! I was cruising between 80-115mph for 15 hours.
Thanks Jon...

And I think the X308 has a sufficient amount of power, it's just that
I don't like being trounced from 0-60 by any... and I mean any V6
powered car. Hyundai, VW, a Toyota RAV4 even. That gets annoying,
as does the fact that my friends are quite willing to point these things
out too ! 400hp is the new 300hp, and the 4.0 V8 is under even that mark. So, the car's performance is fine, as long as it isn't compared
against anything with a bit of poke. The comparisons are literally the
only thing that could do that.

The M5 might earn its place occasionally on the pedestal of the front-
portico of an upscale location, but my car has yet to do so... the XK8
has, but not my XJ... not yet anyway. I too have grown closer still to
my car, but if it is able to sell, then I will be happy to go to an XJR.

I agree about our cars aging well... but I don't personally care for the
way the 2000 Vanden Plas' wheels would look though. Small wheels
are out, and I personally don't care for looking at a wheel profile
that is 40% tyre to 60% wheel, in preference to
18" of painted metal! I think our cars are perfectly suited by
larger wheels. (factory ones, not "Lexani" or something)

I've attached some HD photos of the bodywork faults too,
although I appreciate you saying it looks flawless. Must be
my photographical deception working!

Ian

Attached Thumbnails Bullet Sedans: BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG, Jaguar XJR. (Mar. 2000 C/D)-100_1793.jpg   Bullet Sedans: BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG, Jaguar XJR. (Mar. 2000 C/D)-100_1794.jpg   Bullet Sedans: BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG, Jaguar XJR. (Mar. 2000 C/D)-100_1799.jpg   Bullet Sedans: BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG, Jaguar XJR. (Mar. 2000 C/D)-100_1800.jpg  

Last edited by Ipc838; 06-07-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Ian Clements doesn't make sense