XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Bumper clip fell off -photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Bumper clip fell off -photos

Washing my Jag & clip fell off the front bumper skin. This is not the torx screw lower down. I saw the hole & the other 3 clips in place but just pushing it back in or rotating it will not secure it. The clip is either broken or missing a “cap.”

What is this called? (bumper clip?)
I don’t see it on the parts diagram:

2000 JAGUAR XJ8 Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

Please see 4 photos; 2 views of clip that fell out, hole where it goes & an intact clip securely in place.

If I need a new clip, I need to know what it is called & how to install it. Will a new one just push into place? Or do I push in & rotate 90 degrees? Or is mine OK & just missing a decorative cap that no one will see & I am incorrectly installing it?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Bumper clip fell off -photos-bumper-clip-1.jpg   Bumper clip fell off -photos-bumper-clip-2.jpg   Bumper clip fell off -photos-hole-clip-bumper.jpg   Bumper clip fell off -photos-intact-bumper-clip.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 PM

plastic bumper push-in rivet?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:02 AM

No one knows?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The problem with these little parts is that they don't always show up on the diagram that you think they should because they are used in more than one application.

It looks like # 14 on the link you gave -- but I can't be sure -- that could be for some inner panel.

They are often called "rivets" .....While they are very easy to remove properly ....often they are pried off get damaged and then fail.

I would look around your whole car and see what others you may need and go to the dealer and just show them the parts -- they are cheap.

I have had to replace various ones on my different Jaguars over the years -- just had to get the ones by the gas tank after replacing my trunk lift shocks ... picked up an oil filter and they just gave them to me.

The following users liked this post:
Iconoclast (04-21-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just go to any Auto Parts Store and they will match something for you. It doesn't have to be OEM.

Iconoclast (04-23-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
Washing my Jag & clip fell off the front bumper skin. This is not the torx screw lower down. I saw the hole & the other 3 clips in place but just pushing it back in or rotating it will not secure it. The clip is either broken or missing a “cap.”

What is this called? (bumper clip?)
I don’t see it on the parts diagram:

2000 JAGUAR XJ8 Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

Please see 4 photos; 2 views of clip that fell out, hole where it goes & an intact clip securely in place.

If I need a new clip, I need to know what it is called & how to install it. Will a new one just push into place? Or do I push in & rotate 90 degrees? Or is mine OK & just missing a decorative cap that no one will see & I am incorrectly installing it?

Thanks!
If they are 4 and are under the bumper, it's a rokut rivet and the part # is KRB100003
You just push them in. the center part goes in and expend the outside legs/body.
To remove them you first have to pull out the center part

Iconoclast (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by luc
If they are 4 and are under the bumper, it's a rokut rivet and the part # is KRB100003
You just push them in. the center part goes in and expend the outside legs/body.
To remove them you first have to pull out the center part

Thanks to all who replied!

luc, you are correct! So, is yeldogt. I entered the part # KRB100003 in the Gaudin Jaguar search & it returned that part #14 on the diagram I had linked. “Impact bar rivet.” Since list price is only $1.30, I doubt my local dealer will gouge me. They typically charge list price.

Luc’s explanation makes perfect sense, that missing cap is needed to spread the body apart so it holds securely, w/o the cap it falls out easily, as did mine. I looked under the rear bumper & on both sides & see no more of these rivets. Just the 4 under the front bumper.

I’ll call & try to obtain the new rivet Monday.

Steve

Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Talking

Well Meaculpa, I didn’t want to follow your suggestion since the OEM part was so cheap & I knew it would fit perfectly but, it turns out yours was the solution I used, thanks!

For Jaguar Impact Bar Rivet, part # KRB100003, MSRP = $1.30, Gaudin price = $1.05.

I call my local dealer, Jaguar Scottsdale, they do not have it in stock & charge >$3.00, I think it is the same part, but, not sure due to price MORE than MSRP! Online shopping for exact Jaguar part: Gaudin Jaguar wants $14.95 gnd shipping for the $1.05 part! Terry’s Jaguar = $1.17 + $16.18 S&H UPS gnd!
Found substitute that works @ AutoZone! (local auto parts store) Dorman brand # 963-010, Ford Panel Retainers. box of 15 for $4.99. Installed easily & seems to hold just fine. I have 14 spares just in case <GRIN>