XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

a/c line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default a/c line replacement

I have an a/c line that is leaking. This line is the long line that is located on the passenger's side, and runs from the drier to the evaporator. It's leaking at the point where the line goes from the rubber line to the steel line. Is this simply a matter o changing the leaking line, or are there gaskets, orings, etc. that I nee to replace at each end? Thank you in advance.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

You might try to find a good AC shop that can repair the line for you, if it is more than a dried up O-ring causing the leak. If it is just the o-ring, you may be lucky.

So yes, there are O-rings at the junction points on these lines. I am not sure if you have priced the line out yet, but the Jaguar Dealer was the only source I could find for the lines when I needed mine fixed. It was a ridiculous price. I bought the O-Rings I could get from the Dealer, but of course none were the right size in the end. I managed to resurrect the old ones. I ended up finding a shop that repaired my original line, which was leaking at the crimped fitting. They made up a new line and used the original end fittings for about $60.00. First, I had them evacuate the system, then I installed the repaired line. Next they pressure tested and found a leak in another line at a junction block ( in a miserable to get at place). I took the car home again and opened up the line, soaked the leaking O-ring in some PAG oil, re-assembled and went back for another pressure test ( which now passed) and then a re-charge. I had also replaced the compressor, which I purchased from Born Again Air in Texas.

The long and short of it is that there are 0-rings at the dryer and junction points... you need to evacuate, pressure test,search for any more leaks and re-charge after opening. Soaking the 0-Ring in PAG oil saved mine, but the leaking crimp required the line repair.

I happened into a shop that specialized in Semi Truck A/C repair, so my XJR looked a bit odd sitting beside the Peterbuilts and Kenworths, but they were capable enough to aluminum weld and fix the line and had me do most of the grunt work at home. Managed the whole affair on a Saturday, so was very lucky. The regular AC shops I first tried could not fix the line. (I think Jaguar want $425.00 for a new one) I spent about $150.00 in the end and learned a fair bit. I must say I think the shop I found were excellent guys for helping me out in the manner I described.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks, JWT. Yeah, the line is leaking at the area where it exits the metal end of the rubber hose and the metal line begins. I was hoping maybe there would be simply an oring at that location that I could change. The price for this line is around $125.00, not counting the orings, and labor. Maybe at this price, I may go ahead and replace the line. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

For $125.00 I would have bought a new one too. It was a different line for me, Compressor to Condenser, but it was way more money. I assume you have found a much better source. BTW any place where your lines are caked with oily dirt are suspect leak points.

Good luck