XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

A/C Low (Suction) Line Removal and Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C Low (Suction) Line Removal and Replacement

My A/C low side suction line has sprung a large leak and needs to be replaced. This is the line that runs from the evaporator, around the back of the cylinder head with a 90 degree turn, under the left side exhaust manifold, and down to the compressor. This hose has a number of bends and a significant section of rigid tubing and appears to be pretty difficult to remove with the engine in place. I searched this forum a bit and could not find much information on replacement of this hose. There is a lot of removal info on the high pressure hoses, but not the low pressure hose and I did not see it in the shop manual either. I have already evacuated and disconnected the hose from both ends, removed the left side catalytic converter, left side motor mount, coolant tank and still can't seem to get enough space to remove this line. This is on a 2000 XJR for clarification.

Has anyone replaced this A/C line before with the engine installed and has any lessons learned or tips on how to remove and replace it? Many thanks!

Old 06-13-2023, 11:20 AM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

It's been a LONG time since I replaced one but I'm pretty sure the left 'cataverter' has to come out to clear the gearbox bell housing and back of the engine.

You might be able to find a 'two piece' hose/pipe assy and cut the hard line in two to remove.

Then install the 2 part?

SEE TSB

Attached Files

Last edited by motorcarman; 06-13-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the TSB. That was a lifesaver. I spent another 1/2 hour trying to work it out in one piece as you described but couldn't find a way to do it easily. So I researched the latest parts diagrams and you are correct that they are no longer a one piece hose. Unfortunately it also says the new design is discontinued as well. The TSB has you cut the pipe in a different location. I am pretty confident I can have a shop effectively convert the one piece hose to the new two piece design, so I decided to cut it at the same location as the new hose design. With the hose free on both ends and the coolant tank out, I could free up enough space around the two 90 degree turns to clear a small pipe/tubing cutter at the same location that the new design bolts together. I made two sharpie lines marked A and B across the pipe in the cut location so the shop has a reference mark for the correct hose angles when welding the flanges on it. We have a local AC hose repair shop here in Phoenix Arizona that is really good at rebuilding and repairing AC lines. After I cut the lines into two, both sections were able to be removed easily. We will see how the line repair goes and I'll post back with an update.

Parts Illustration with new lines

TSB-412-10

Alternate Cut Location

Updated suction line design

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (06-14-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 11:54 AM
Received 119 Likes on 102 Posts

Replace the dryer too since you have system open for days.