XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

C1165.... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C1165.... now what? ......SOLVED post#8

Still no luck solving my C1165 right rear speed sensor problem. Dash keeps flashing that Stability Control Failure msg. I replaced the sensor and cleaned the speed ring but nothing. I'm thinking it must be a short or damaged line. Is there a diagram that shows where the wires from the speed sensor go? Also my Speedometer is still bouncing between 10-15mph. Could this be the infamous ABS module corrosion? From what I have read the corroded terminals would produce a failure for all the speed sensors, not just one. Maybe i'm way off here. Any ideas?

Last edited by Bug Splat; 02-25-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,799 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I don't know what year car you have. If you go to the top left of the forum page and open "USER CP" you can add your signature and cars to your posts. I am now chasing down a left front failure for the second time. Last year I sent the module out to solder the pump circuit leads and correct the left front circuit. It worked until now. I will probably be sending it to a different repair source to try again. I have attached a abs problem solving diagram that I found at jagrepair.com, Gus's site. There is a lot more info there.
http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...heet%20XK8.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Bug Splat (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

mine has been flashing stability control fail and trac control fail for as long as I've had it. My ABS module is bad, I just hit clear if it bothers me, but my speedometer works fine so the module wouldn't cause your speedometer to fail. I know that the abs sensor actually "counts" the notches on the abs ring as it goes around and if one is chipped or missing it would cause that sensor to display fault. Every car I've owned the transmission has a gear inside that is for the speedometer. I'm not sure on Jag, but by reading on the forum right rear speed ring is supposed to??? If you've cleaned your plug and the sensor, try changing sensor on that wheel with the opposite side and see if you get it to code the other side. If its coding the same side, its not the sensor. Check the connections at the module up front and make sure those are clean as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by coastaljag98:
Bug Splat (02-22-2013), Jim Adcock (12-28-2014)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Bug Splat
The following is an extract of the information from this other forum post - thread is "Strange ABS/TRAC unavailable issue":

"The trac failure message shows up and the ABS light comes on. When this happens the speedometer doesnt work.
I scanned it and the code was C1159, IIRC. That code is for the RR wheel speed sensor, I believe.
I pulled the sensors and "cleaned" them, even though there wasnt much of anything on them and swapped sides.
After restarting all was well. If it does it again, I am going to see what code it throws.

Checked wires and pins up by the ABS module, no problem there.
I found a soft spot in the RH rear ABS sensor wires right where they go into the hard rubber shield.
I cut the insulation and the wires were totally broken inside.
I crimped them back together and now I have the speedometer and cruise again."

Here is the weblink:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...=363705#363705

I put the following files on ABS wiring on my dropbox.com account (click on the image when the dropbox webpage opens to get a sharper view, then increase the zoom to 125%):

ABS wiring diagram
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocvi7dwdfe...%20Diagram.jpg

ABS Control module Pinout & Wiring information
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4cb9acu20...nformation.jpg

1998 XJ (X308) ABS Wiring Diagram & DTC C1175.pdf (has diagnostic testing steps on abs wheel sensor)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/227oymzslx...TC%20C1175.pdf

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 02-22-2013 at 06:46 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
Bug Splat (02-22-2013), fredd60 (02-22-2013), Jim Adcock (12-28-2014)
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Wow that's a lot of info. Looks like I have a lot of testing to do. Dollars to donuts there is a wire short. I think I may have to start pulling the seats and carpet to trace the line. Its going to be a long weekend

Thanks guys for all the help.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 PM

There is a 98 XJ8 at the local Pick-n-Pull that has just about everything there including the ABS module. They want $58 for it. No idea if it works though. Is it worth pulling it?

I may pull a couple coils ($10) because those things are pricey when they go out. Anything else I should pull?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Throttle body with TPS if it's cheap.
Maybe see if your ABS module is bad first.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 AM

Good news, I solved the C1165 problem. Went through the diagnostic that Jim posted and was getting a short in the line from the ABS connector to the speed sensor. Started to go through the hassle of tracing out the line and came up with the great idea to just run a new line. I cut the old lines out, and ran a new line from the speed sensor to the ABS module. Worked like a charm. Code is now gone and my speedometer works great.

Bad news is I'm still getting the "ABS" light a "Stability Control Failure". Only code I'm getting is P1000 which I guess is just a general error code. Could the ABS module be damaged? Like I said above I can pull the module from the junk yard by tomorrow afternoon.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Here is a quote from forum member dsynder586 "Nothing to do... After it runs through the paces p1000 will change to p1111 indicating all is well."

forum member Delbert reply to above: "And you were right. Plugged up the scanner after a couple of days driving the car....P1111, just as it should be.....and no other DTCs. "

Looks like it will clear the P1111 in a couple of days and will be OK afterwards.

DTC summary states: If DTC P1000 is logged in memory, the on-board diagnostic tests have not been completed

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
Blue Jag G (06-24-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Here is a quote from forum member dsynder586 "Nothing to do... After it runs through the paces p1000 will change to p1111 indicating all is well."

forum member Delbert reply to above: "And you were right. Plugged up the scanner after a couple of days driving the car....P1111, just as it should be.....and no other DTCs. "

Looks like it will clear the P1111 in a couple of days and will be OK afterwards.

DTC summary states: If DTC P1000 is logged in memory, the on-board diagnostic tests have not been completed

Jim Lombardi
Yup! I got in the car this morning to drive to work and the ABS light and "SCF" message were gone. Ran another scan just in case I was imagining things and sure enough it was gone.

Thank you all so much for the help.