XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Calling all who use Torque Pro

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by tomfurie
I can't see coolant temp either.

I saw on a MX5 forum that there was a csv file download with 20+ additional PIDs that were mostly universal. I'm still looking for it.

Has anyone posted a similar Jaguar PID file? I will keep looking.
What year is your car? I use DashCommand and it lets me read coolant temp no problem.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

Originally Posted by tomfurie
I can't see coolant temp either.

I saw on a MX5 forum that there was a csv file download with 20+ additional PIDs that were mostly universal. I'm still looking for it.

Has anyone posted a similar Jaguar PID file? I will keep looking.
Which PIDs that are not now commonly available do you feel are useful?

(Actually, lots of the ones available are pretty much useless 99% of the time...)

It's already the case that people fail to look at the right ones or fail to look at all!!

However, if you DO want more PIDs just get an OE tool or the like and there are hundreds.

Last edited by JagV8; 06-24-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:16 AM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Yes I saw that and checked all the links and did not find a file to download.

Here is an example file that can be imported to Torque Pro from a BMW site.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
BMW 335d.csv.txt (1.7 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by tomfurie; 06-25-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:12 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JagV8
Which PIDs that are not now commonly available do you feel are useful?

(Actually, lots of the ones available are pretty much useless 99% of the time...)

It's already the case that people fail to look at the right ones or fail to look at all!!

However, if you DO want more PIDs just get an OE tool or the like and there are hundreds.
I agree that the majority of the problems can be diagnosed with the regular generic codes availabe on Torque Pro, but the OE tools are pricey and require licensing.

Being a controls system professional and long time old timer tech weenie, I would like to have the PID code sequences for all engine, transmission and Body sensors to be available on Torque Pro for the 305 XJ8.

If individual sensor data like coil performance, VVT sensors, crank sensor, ignition advance, battery and charge, injectors, all MAP and Mass flow trends PID's were available, it would be a great diagnostic tool in addition to the current codes.
For example, diagnosing the climate control system - all the data is there, but only accessible via Torque Pro with custom PID's.

Maybe I need to get a copy of IDS running with the correct adapter. Anyone have a VM of an IDS machine for download?

But then again, it should be doable with Torque Pro, my current OBDII, and some targeted PID's.

All I need is the codes and I can play. Anyone have the codes for 305 XJ8's

Old 07-02-2018, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar license them but it is $ 1000s. Far cheaper to get a tool with them already in.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Question Custom Torque Pro PID's needed for the O2 upstream volts

Following the pinpoint tests in JTIS, I have identified a few PID's that are not available in Torque Pro that would be very useful in running the pinpoint tests.
These values are used in the IDS / SDD software as indicated in the Pinpoint tests to verify full function of each of the O2 Sensors, and I don't have access to that software and ACM ... yet ...

Two PID's that are available that are useful are
O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Volts
O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2 Volts
These demonstrate specifically - when warmed up that both the after CAT sensors are functioning, and bank 1&2 are performing relatively equally when graphed

What would be very useful would be are the other sensors referenced in the Pinpoint tests:
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Volts - the Heated Lambda Bank 1
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1 Volts - the Heated Lambda Bank 2

These PID's added to Torque Pro would show a couple of things:
1. from cold,Key on before start, when the heater kicks in and the sensor starts functioning - Graphing to actually show the heater working and is warming the sensor before start - key "ON"
2. when exhaust has further warmed the sensor, showing the full operation of each sensor - Graphing for differences between Bank1 and Bank 2 functions - also helpful for additionally diagnosing leaking (rich) / plugged (lean) injectors and associated intake leaks (lean) in conjunction with the codes as in the Pinpoint tests.

If I can monitor all four sensors I can immediately see they are functioning and then use the information to troubleshoot additional rich/lean issues in real time.

Anyone know the PID codes that need to be entered to capture these sensors?

I'd also like to capture the
- O2 Sensor 1&2 Equivalence Ratio values for graphing, currently only one is available is O2 Sensor 1 Equivalence Ration(alternate).
- Accelerator position sensor
- Throttle position sensor
- Throttle Position Commanded
- Commanded A/F Ratio ( graph against A/F Ratio Measured)

If I can locate the list of PID's with their associated strings, I will create some custom Jaguar templates to grab the necessary information used in the pinpoint tests.

Anyone interested in pursuing this and have access to the PID codes???

Cheers!

Old 09-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Some/most/all of those look like OBD II and if so a web search should help.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Default Torque Pro extended OBDII PID's

Originally Posted by JagV8
Some/most/all of those look like OBD II and if so a web search should help.
Hi JagV8,
Yes I agree, and I have been scouring the net for a list of OBDII and EOBD PID codes I can trust as applicable to these model years.

It seems to me that the OBD and EOBD should be the same as the Ford / Lincoln for the period since they share the same overall design.

If anyone has a list of OBDII PID's and EOBD's for this model year 1999-2003 Ford/Jaguar/Lincoln, please point me to the source. - I have found some on Wikipedia ...

However I do note some significant differences between my 2000 and 2001 in the DTC's and also Message Display , my 2000 says "Boot Open", the 2001 says "Trunk Open", the 2000 DTC for P1646 os HO2 Sensor bank 1 Sensor 1, on the 2001 DTC printout is is Fuel Pump #2 Relay sense. Not surprised because the Pinpoint tests are also wrong for the O2 Sensors wiring numbers conflicting with the schematics and other tests. Also there are other little niggles, like the 2001 Vehicle Care book shows all the Relays numbered as "R1" ... HA! now which one is R6?

To followup... it appears the OBD cdes are mandated by the SAE J1979 and the connector SAE J1962 Standards. There is a good overall description on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs. I'll use this as a starting point and see if I can drill down for more details enough to craft some additional command strings for the additional engine sensors.

Much to my surprise, OBD / EOBD PID DTC PDC is actually a Control Systems CAN bus protocol, the same protocols I deal with in other Industrial automation control systems, only I usually do not need to deep dive into the specific programming strings ... this ought to be interesting and fun too!

Cheers!

Last edited by StagByTriumph; 09-10-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: found info on OBD standard SAE J1962 & J1979 - CAN bus
Old 09-15-2018, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Boot/trunk have nothing to do with OBD II, which relates to emissions.

As you probably found by now, P1 codes are non-generic, which means the car maker can decide what they mean in any way at all it feels like doing. It could even decide to make a different meaning for each car off the assembly line. Be grateful they don't!

As you can read on the net cars newer than some date in various regions are mandated to use CAN for OBD II functions. They can and do use anything they feel like using for all the many other things in a car.

Back to post #42 which anyone is free to comment about...

Oh - do read the ELM327 datasheet and other ELM stuff

Last edited by JagV8; 09-15-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:38 PM
Post DTC's = Ford set?

Actually I found that quite a lot of codes are required by emissions regulation to be standardized so emission tests in areas that require testing can read the codes in the ECU dynamically.
Yes, non-emission , and EOBDs for Controllers can be used for whatever the Manufacturer desires. Certain ranges of codes are reserved for specific engine functions.

I still need to locate the PID's so I can log the Throttle Body sensors and commands, all four exhaust HO2 and O2 sensors, and the corresponding calculated values. In TorquePro not all the sensors are available for the X308 so those need PID command strings need to be programmed in Torque Pro because the standard PID set does not access those sensors.

For example, Ford Cylinder 1 Misfire Count is PID:22160e, 0-100 with an equation of ((A*265)+B)
PID numbers are in Hexadecimal, so 22160f is cylinder 2, 221610 is Cylinder 3, etc.

I have loaded the Ford set as these should be relevant.

Has anyone tried to access the additional sensors using the customization PID? What I really need is the PID number, Long Name, Short Name , minimum adn maximum values, and equation.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Setup and Dashboard

Is there a tutorial on the Jag forums or on the Torque website that gives concise instructions on setting up Torque to provide the most useful information outside of just "code reading". For instance I see the "test results" screens, obviously understand the green and red "pass/Fail" parameters, but when examining a "failed" parameter, I do not understand the meaning or how to investigate something like: TID:$0a CID $11

Any help would be appreciated!

Larry

Old 02-11-2023, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 495 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon
And the ELM Bluetooth adapter. Am I the only one who can't read coolant temp? It always shows"no data". Also, my 02 XJ Sport started running rough/misfiring randomly at stop lights. So I was checking to see if any codes were set. There is a p1111, but I researched that and it nothing to be worried about.

Brandon
Well six years later and I have found out why some cars don't show the engine coolant temperature on Torque Pro (at least on my 2001 X100, but I'm sure this is the same problem). It seems that some combinations of car/OBD adaptor work fine for every other PID, but the engine temperature PID is always returned with one byte missing or corrupted. This can be fixed in Torque Pro by creating a custom PID that skips the corrupt byte (In settings go to "Manage Extra PIDS" / "Add custom PID") as follows:-

PID: 0105
Name: Engine Temp
Minimum Value: 0
Maximum Value: 130
Scale Factor: x1
Unit Type: ēC
Equation: R1-40

This new PID will show the engine temp in ēC. I guess you can also change the equation to show you the old fashioned Fahrenheit value if you are that way inclined.

The following 3 users liked this post by dibbit:
Don B (02-12-2023), Jtestrake (02-12-2023), Ken Cantor (02-11-2023)