XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Can a chain sometimes break without serious damage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts
Default RE: Can a chain sometimes break without serious damage?

I have no specific experience with these, but I would think it was worth a look into the VVT solenoid. According to the info I have P1396 means VVT solenoid malfunction - B Bank (2). Possible causes are solenoid failure, solenoid to ECM ground circuit fault, VVT oil flow fault, or VVT / camshaft mechanical failure. If you Google - Jaguar vvt solenoid -, you'll see that they can cause a rattle if they fail. It's worth a try. I wouldn't give up on the engine yet.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

ARE YOU SURE YOU GOT THE SLACK ON THE CORRECT SIDE OF THE TENSIONERS? LOL IT HAPPENS MORE THAN YOU KNOW CAUSING THE CAM TIMING TO BE OFF A FEW DEGREES, ROUGH IDLE AND THE CAM SENSORS SEE IT OFF AS WELL POSSIBLY THINKING THE VVT ARE FAULTY. tHE ONLY WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE IS PULL THE CAM COVERS BACK OFF AND MAKE SURE THE FLATS ON THE CAMS ARE EXACTLY EVEN WITH EACH OTHER, IF NOT REDO THE TIMING CORRECTLY

Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seenOTHER interference design engines survive chain failures with no other significant damage. I am new to Jaguars though, so no experience there.

Incidentally, what is the timing belt maintenance supposed to be for the 4.0 V-8? I drove one allspring, summer, and fallin a 2001 XJ8 VDPfrom 59k to 61. No issues. No service history either.After that, I bought a 2001 XJ8L with 91k miles. Do not knowthe service history of this car.Are the chains supposed to last the life of the car?

Jay

Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you use the proper tools to set the timing. You may not need to replace anything but just set the timing properly. Nice find by the way!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi to all, as a new member i have a stupid questionwhere are you getting the codes like -Code P1396/VVT solenoid-? and one more thing.. when my engine warms up it starts ticking like a sewing mashine, what the hell could it be? is it hte chains? or?? engine works fine no side efects no overheating.... it's just this sound "klack klack klack" drives me crazy! sounds like a diesel engine ! [:@]

Old 12-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also bet on a chain that is not setup properly, as far the life cycle ofa chain, if you maintain your car, a chain should last forever, even the single roller chains. Toyota Pickups used plastic guides and tensioners in the 22R series 4cyl for years, and had very few issues. Although it appears Jaguar my have used some inferior materials with this car.

Chupacabra-
where is this niose coming from? valvetrain? the way you describe it, it doesnt sound like a chain issue.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 PM

I don't think it's a chain aswell, the sound comes right from the middle of the engine ( top ) ofcourse the sound spreads all over but i can hear it the most when put my ear in the middle, I was thinking that it's the valves or something? some people tell me that it's valves and the other say that it's the chains.(none of them had, or had fixed jaguars before..so it's dificult to trust such people) when the engine is cold it works like a swiss watch, but when it warms up a little the "klack klack" soud apears....[:@]
p.s. the car ran 230.000 km

Old 12-03-2008, 04:33 PM

I would take off the cam covers and inspect the valve train. I have no idea how these V8's are set up, but you have nothing to loose, but maybe a valve cover gasket set, to inspect it. I would assume they are not adjustable and are hydraulic.

Kyle

Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

chupacabra do you have a supercharger car or not?

if it´s a supercharger it can be the supercarger i have i clicking sound from mine when warming up but the it goes quiet

Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And yes chains can brake whithout serious damage but very very very rarely

Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 AM

no it's not supercharged, ordinary v8 , and the sound goes louder when the engine heats on....

damn yours looks niiiiice!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chupacabra,

Lifter tick wouldn't surprise me at all. You can use a cheap stethoscope or the screwdriver-to-ear method to try to localize the sound more. You can probably narrow it down to the problem once you do that.

On that note, can a tech tell me if the AJ-V8s have hydraulic lifters?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Greetings,

The tappets are solid aluminum with a steel adjustment shim on top: no hydraulic lifters.
Valve clearances almost never require adjustment unless a larger problem is the root cause. Since you said it is running OK, we can assume that you don't have bent valves or a dropped valve seat, so the noise is not from the valve train.

The valley of the cylinder block is hollow chamber, and is good for resonating bottom end noise. I might guess that you are hearing piston slap, given the high mileage and the fact that you are hearing it with the engine warm. I would spend some time with a stethoscope under the car, listening on the sides of the block forpiston slapor for a rod knock.

Low oil pressure could be causing the VVT fault, I would also check the pressure with a mechanical gauge to see what the reading is when the engine is warm.

I make every effort to diagnose a fault before tearing things apart, so I'd be working on the cause of the P1396. You can try swapping the two VVT solenoids, clearing the code, and see what results. IfaVVT solenoid code recurrs, test to make sure they are getting power. Next step would be to remove the cam covers and check the cam timing and condition of timing chain tensioners. From your description it doesn't sound like a chain noise though.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 AM

ok... now a stupid question, where do you get those codes like p1396 and so on, can i check it on my onboard computer or some computer should be connected ?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes, the engine management system is designed to store trouble codes but has no function to display them. You need to acquire at least a hand held "scanner", or "code reader", to obtain the codes. You can visit a major auto parts store in most states in the U.S. and have the codes read for free. There are enough scanners on the market now that you can buy one which will be good for reading engine management codes on your car for as little as about $40.00. It's a good investment, since a scanner is the only way to clear a fault code from the computers' memory after repairs have been made. Far more expensive diagnostic equipment is required to retrieve codes used in diagnosis of many other systems on the car...but a basicgeneric scanner will help you find the basic and most significant areas to investigate.

Avdance Auto Parts is in my area, that would be my first recommendation for free service andgood values on scanners for sale.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 PM

I see... i have to look for such kind of scanner here ( I'm in Lithuania) guess it's not so popular... So perhaps with it (scanner) i can check the fault codes for "abs"and "traction control fail" lamps?
thanks guys!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 PM

jaggachafen ... nice one! I'm guessing from your pix that you are not exactly running "stock". Do have any drag times to brag about?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

chupacabra and ordinary scanner wont check for abs codes ..