XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Can someone tell me what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Can someone tell me what to do?

Water pump failure was common with the original design - should have been replaced by now; secondary timing chain tensioners have been redesigned also (twice), and could lead to catastrophic expense if not updated. Nikasil-lined cylinder bores may also be suspect - have the dealer do a "blow-by test." Have them check the suspension bushings. There was a recall on the throttle body; the dealer should confirm that all relevant recalls have been done.
Get the service records if at all possible.
Good luck with it - wonderful cars if properly maintained!

________

1999 XJR

Last edited by joycesjag; 11-25-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Received 501 Likes on 317 Posts

being a '99 car, it will have the AJ27 engine over the first V8 for this range which was the AJ26, being an AJ27 means that it has the revised throttle body , and will not require the recall work...also , it will also have second generation tensioners fitted from new, but these also fail,

we are actually on revision 5 now for the tensioners, revision 4 being the metal bodied version
i know this because when i bought my own replacements directly from Jaguar, all the old revisions came up on the screen with the newer ones superseding all the ones before

all the other advice above is spot on....

BB

Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One more thing tolook for are missing VIN labels. There should be one on each body panel as well as each door. If one is missing, then chances are that panel had to be repainted for one reason or another.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you test drive it in the rain at night? best time to test drive because you need to turn everything on. Lights, defogger, wipers etc. and you will see if any leaks.