XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Can you adjust trunk lid position to correct panel gaps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Can you adjust trunk lid position to correct panel gaps?

Had body work done that left the trunk/boot lid with improper panel gaps, is there any way to adjust that without requiring body-work that needs repainting afterward?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Do you have any pics? As far as up and down for leveling, there are 2 black plastic screws on either side facing down from the lid that screw by hand. As for squaring it in the well, I've not done it, but you should be able to loosen the screws and align it.

Did you and omg go to the same body shop?....lol

Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

I don't have those black screws facing down anymore, they were destroyed in the accident - but my problem is the reverse, the lid is too high from body (due to imperfect body work), need to bring it down lower, presumably via some adjustment at the hinges?? It is purely an aesthetic issue, functionally it is fine and water does not seem to go in, at least not as of yet.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Here's the part # for those black screws, Jaguar calls them buffers (BEC10761). I saw on a couple sites it said discontinued. But I would check with a scrap yard or use this search engine...Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ...it will put out a call to hundreds of scrap yards for what you need and contact you directly. I've used it and it works, just wait to see what price they offer and get the cheapest ones.
For the lid itself, are the hinges bent from the collision (I would highly suspect it)? If so, I'd be using that link for more hinges.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Do you have any pics? As far as up and down for leveling, there are 2 black plastic screws on either side facing down from the lid that screw by hand. As for squaring it in the well, I've not done it, but you should be able to loosen the screws and align it.

Did you and omg go to the same body shop?....lol
Funny.. Funny..

Old 02-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

is it high in the back at bumper or at window.eather way it can be adjusted if its not too far out of whack from the wreck.ask body shop to readjust,they should do it for free if their a good shop,steve

Old 02-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steven300
is it high in the back at bumper or at window.eather way it can be adjusted if its not too far out of whack from the wreck.ask body shop to readjust,they should do it for free if their a good shop,steve
Bumper meets lid okay, but top of lid has a sizable gap on one side-edge where it meets the car, possibly due to the quarter panel body work, but I'd like to be able to adjust it without doing more body work (or going back to the shop) if there is some kind of screws to turn at the hinges or similar.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

if the lid fits square and is just wide on one side you can adjust the catch on the body,you'll have to remove the plastic panel which will snap off when you pry up.but if it is a recent repair go back to shop and ask if thay will refit it,steve