XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cannot Fill Fuel Tank *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cannot Fill Fuel Tank *UPDATE*

Okay, let's get right to the chase:

Since I bought the XJR-100 last spring, I haven't been able to get more than half a tank of fuel in it before the pump shuts off due to back pressure. From the Jaguar TSB, it states that this can be caused by 4 different things:

#1 - A kink or blockage in the line - Checked that, lines all good
#2 - Plugged charcoal canisters - Replaced both of these
#3 - Stuck canister vent valve - Replaced this
#4 - Always filling at the same service station which has a bad pump - lol

So now I'm at a loss. Last week I was able to eliminate the problem entirely by disconnecting the charcoal canisters right at the front of the system. Although the car smelled like a rolling petrol station and I'm sure I lost a couple years off my life by inhaling the fumes while filling it up, it was the first time I was able to get a full tank in it.

However, because I'd previously replaced the charcoal canisters, I believed that this could not be the issue. The CVV I hadn't yet replaced, so I ordered one and installed it this morning, with the full system hooked back up..it did not fix the problem.

Assuming these are the only potential causes, I believe that I must have a bad charcoal canister. Going to attempt to diagnose this now by disconnecting them one at a time and seeing if I'm able to fill the tank again.

Am I on the right track with this? Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Old 07-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I have an 2002XJR and occasionally I have problems filling too. I have noticed that if the car isn’t completely level or worse with its right side slightly higher then the left it seems to occur more frequently. I have yet to look into it. Thought it had something to do with how the car vents.

Would be interested to see what how you solve yours. Where are these charcoal canisters and vent valve?

Thanks

Jeroen

Old 07-07-2017, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

When I bought my 100 it had the same issue, I did some routine service stuff including a new fuel filter and it was fine. I still don't understand how that cured the short fills though!

The other way was to put the fuel nozzle in all the way then ease it out an inch or so to fill up.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jeroen
I have an 2002XJR and occasionally I have problems filling too. I have noticed that if the car isn’t completely level or worse with its right side slightly higher then the left it seems to occur more frequently. I have yet to look into it. Thought it had something to do with how the car vents.

Would be interested to see what how you solve yours. Where are these charcoal canisters and vent valve?

Thanks

Jeroen
Hey Jer,

The carcoal canisters and vent valve are located underneath the car against the floorpan ahead of the rear wheels. The vent system comes down from the LH side of the car, runs into the LH charcoal canister, then into the RH side charcoal canister, which is connected to the vent valve which is mounted almost directly ahead of the RR wheel.

The following users liked this post:
Jeroen (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Has it had fuel pumps David? I ask as the vapour pipe is easily kinked, wouldn't explain the fuel smell so a blocked canister or pipe is going to be the most likely answer.

Last edited by Sean B; 07-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Is this the same setup you have David?

Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 AM

Sean: It's had both pumps done under my watch in the last year, although the car has had this problem since I've owned it. Which pipe are you suggesting might be blocked?

Highhorse: That looks like my set up, yes. Hadn't seen that particular picture diagram before, but it's helpful in identify everything, that's for sure.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

I think the system is a double canister version of this with a link pipe to the other side, I'd have to get under the car to confirm it. US emissions spec 100 might be different. There's a purge valve on the front bulkhead the vapour line goes to and solenoid, have you checked them out? (9 & 10)
The tube I was referring to has the U bends, goes to the pcv and can get kinked. See the pipe circled.

Attached Thumbnails Cannot Fill Fuel Tank *UPDATE*-tank.jpg   Cannot Fill Fuel Tank *UPDATE*-dscf4387-large-.jpg  
KidRock'n (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
I think the system is a double canister version of this with a link pipe to the other side, I'd have to get under the car to confirm it. US emissions spec 100 might be different. There's a purge valve on the front bulkhead the vapour line goes to and solenoid, have you checked them out? (9 & 10)
The tube I was referring to has the U bends, goes to the pcv and can get kinked. See the pipe circled.
Thanks Sean. Will look into this in a few days and get back to you. I appreciate the info

Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Here's another breakdown detail, this for the tank carriage:

KidRock'n (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Here's another breakdown detail, this for the tank carriage:

Thanks man. I'll keep grinding away at it this week and report back.