XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cannot open trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cannot open trunk

So, I hit the stupid 'valet mode' button on accident which normally shouldn't be a big deal but its not switching off and I don't have a electronic fob. I am unlocking the drivers side door with the black key but it is not registering and the trunk remains locked. This has happened before and I simply unlocked the trunk with the key and did a hard reset to clear the code but when I try to turn the key in the trunk now it seriously feels like I'm going to break it. So is there any other way to clear the valet mode that anybody knows of?
Thanks!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default cannot open trunk

May I suggest when you do get the trunk open you apply the manual fix systwm described in other posts on this forum.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:15 PM

I searched but didnt see where that was described anywhere...what exactly do you mean by that?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Perhaps a little spray lube into the key slot and some 'jiggling' of the key will allow it to open one more time.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

WD 40 in the key slot might work. Ebay has used key FOB's for $10 to $40. You can program it yourself.

Remove the license plate and use a long slotted screwdriver in the top right hole to manually release the latch. A small inspection light will help you find the right spot.
Don't cut or destroy anything to get into the trunk. Don't remove the rear seat.
Lots of mis information out there.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lear45
WD 40 in the key slot might work. Ebay has used key FOB's for $10 to $40. You can program it yourself.

Remove the license plate and use a long slotted screwdriver in the top right hole to manually release the latch. A small inspection light will help you find the right spot.
Don't cut or destroy anything to get into the trunk. Don't remove the rear seat.
Thanks for the replies fellas! Oh yeah I remember reading about going through the license plate hole a while back, I'll try that if all else fails. Def not going to take out the rear seats or cut anything I dont want to hurt my baby!!

Old 11-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

WD 40 in the key slot help me before

Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Please post any solution you come up with. I've got a similar problem with the drivers door lock. Valet mode doesn't have anything to do with it in my case but my key will not turn the lock. Mine has never worked but I've got a fob, Question, does drivers door turn clockwise from top like the trunk? I get about a quarter turn with no resistance when I turn clockwise, counter clockwise it gives just a bit (one-two degrees) and I can hear the tumbler clicking if I jiggle it back and forth, but after that it's a brick wall. I've tried silicone, WD-40 and even a bit of powdered graphite and nothing works. Haven't been able to get much help on the forum beyond those fixes, maybe if your's is a lock cylinder malfunction it will help me solve my problem.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:03 PM

sprayed some wd-40 into the lock but still nothing...feels like im going to break something for sure. So I guess the next step is trying to go through the licence plate hole. Stupid valet mode

Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

If I remember correctly, if you start the car with the black key it should reset the valet mode. You should then be able to open the trunk from the button inside the car.

If that works you will then be able to strip it down and get the lock working correctly.

Hope this helps,

Old 11-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lear45

Lear, are the old Jaguar remotes on Ebay capable of being reprogrammed to a new car? I know some FOB's by Ford, Mercedes and BMW can not be reprogrammed to a new vehicle. If they are indeed able to be reprogrammed to our Jags I'm going to pick up a couple to toss in the drawer for when I might need one.

Thanks.

Back on topic, I went to pull parts from a 2000 VDP and the wrecker yard did not have the key. I tried the license plate entry and it didn't work. The owner of the yard tried to bang on the release handle with a hammer LOL I told him let me try. I pulled off the push for the trunk release, looked inside and noticed that the piece that would apply contact to release the trunk was not in place. I put it on the end of a pencil and push the appropriate area and "presto"! The trunk opened and I was able to retrieve the rear lights for spares lol. This might be another option if everything else fails. In my case it wasn't a dead battery but the contact had fallen and was not in place.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

I doubt you can configure a keyfob transmitter when the car is in VALET MODE.

Using the transmitter OR turning on the BOOT LIGHTS is the way to disable VALET MODE.

Not using the key in the locks occasionally will lead to the locks becoming STUCK.

bob gauff

Old 11-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

If you do get the boot open, check the wires running through the right boot hinge. Mine had a broken one for the boot lights and the car would not come out of valet mode any other way than by fixing these wires.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the replies guys...I havent had time to try to go through the license plate holes yet because being a full time college student/working full time doesn't leave much time for anything else lol. I did have another thought though, what if I just connected a code reader to the car and cleared the codes. You think that would disengage the valet mode as well?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Rideordie
Thanks for the replies guys...I havent had time to try to go through the license plate holes yet because being a full time college student/working full time doesn't leave much time for anything else lol. I did have another thought though, what if I just connected a code reader to the car and cleared the codes. You think that would disengage the valet mode as well?
I wondered if you ever called the dealer for help, I know but this is the last resort

Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 PM

So I went to the dealer to try to clear the codes but that didnt work either. This is super annoying to say the least. Guess I'm going through the license plate hole...does anybody know what Im looking for to unlatch it? cus I sure as hell dont lol

Old 11-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Shine a tiny flashlight in another hole and you will see the latch. It will take
15 minutes the first time. Once it is open, fix the electric release and the mechcanical
release. The plastic clips break with age.
Streamlight Stylus Reach 18 Alkaline Battery-Powered Pen Light w/ Flexible Neck - at Test Equipment Depot

Old 12-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar problem and went through the bottom right license plate hole with and offset straight blade screwdriver fumbling with it over toward the middle area where the latch is. It popped open. I also was leery of breaking the key when trying to use it in the key hole. After I opened it through the license plate I checked into the key hole more. I was only turning the key about an eighth of a turn before it felt like it would break, but it needs to go a full quarter of a turn to open the trunk. I wiggled the key around while turning and it finally did turn enough to open the trunk, It takes quite a bit of wiggling and slight in-out movement possibly. Much easier than license plate method.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Kyd

First, I've read all the posts. I've got a 2004 XJ8... My problem is, the locking mechanism has a screw & lock-washer holding it secure... but through time it has come loose, forcing me to push harder on the trunk to close it... well, the last time I pushed down, I've got the latch stuck. I've tried the inside button and trunk button: I hear the 'click', but it doesn't open... The key has way too MUCH resistance... I wrapped a pry-bar in a towel and applied pressure under the trunk-lid while pushing the button, but no luck.

Has anybody had a problem like this?

JeffLear@BellSouth.net

Kyd

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Default Open Trunk

I had same exact problem. I was able to open using the License plate method. But I also thought I was going to break something with the key. I found that you need to turn the key further than you think as it is a mechanical latch, I had to turn it real hard while wiggling in and out slightly and it turned far enough to open. Key needs to turn almost 180 degrees. I wish I had been more persistent with the key before I did the license plate method although it does work and got lucky and found the correct spot with the screwdriver fairly quick.

Quick Reply: Cannot open trunk