XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

cant give up my caliper quest

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Default cant give up my caliper quest

I have been searching for the caliper upgrade for my XJR that I found that was more difficult to find pair a proper caliper than I thought

I even tried to use the late S type brembo set but not a bolt-in situation and my mechanic told me that he has to customize the bracket to fit it in, you know that sounds like costing a fortune.

I know there is a late R-1 package to bolt in, but it is just so rare on the second hand market

I am not so techy on this topics, so what the best and economic way to do this upgrade. why I want it,human nature like everyone else, it looks cool and I think the OEM calipers are too small to handle our Cats.

I don't want to give up on this upgrade, I know some of us did it and please share

Thank you

Last edited by vincent661983; 02-20-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Vincent, you don't have to explain! To be honest with you, there isn't much of an improvement with the Brembo system. To achieve that, you have to spend a silly amount on race spec' calipers, discs and pads. Then have custom adaptors made to fit them. A lottery win would help.......But if you must have them.....

Seek the Jaguar Brembo XJR/XKR calipers in the UK if no luck were you are. I mean drop emails to second hand parts suppliers, they're more here than anywhere else at reasonable money. You only need the calipers from the UK......
Disc's you can buy local to you and you'll save on shipping, they're very heavy. Pads also and finally the special Goodridge braided hoses, I've seen a set for sale in the classifieds here.
I'd suggest contacting these guys listed, I have no affiliation with them, I've found them to be helpful and cheap. Also search for jaguar breakers uk. You might get lucky and locate a set. The going rate here is £800 for a complete set s/h (calipers/discs).
Good Luck.

www.eurojag.com
www.blackcountryjaguar.com

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Sean, I saw your reply previously on the familiar topic, so have you done it?Or you just happen to own the XJR100 with the package I am dreaming about now?thank you

Last edited by vincent661983; 02-20-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I do not see what car you have -- but if it is not a "R" . I would think upgrading to the "R" brakes would be the way to go - since the parts are available to do it. If you have an R and want to go to the R1 set up you will also need the larger wheels to fit the larger calipers. All the parts are crazy expensive

Whatever you do -- don't expect much change in the performance.

I have a set of pads from my x300 VDP sitting in my garage and they are longer than my 02 XJR and just a hair thinner.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

mine is 2000 XJR

Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent661983
I have been searching for the caliper upgrade for my XJR that I found that was more difficult to find pair a proper caliper than I thought

I even tried to use the late S type brembo set but not a bolt-in situation and my mechanic told me that he has to customize the bracket to fit it in, you know that sounds like costing a fortune.

I know there is a late R-1 package to bolt in, but it is just so rare on the second hand market

I am not so techy on this topics, so what the best and economic way to do this upgrade. why I want it,human nature like everyone else, it looks cool and I think the OEM calipers are too small to handle our Cats.

I don't want to give up on this upgrade, I know some of us did it and please share

Thank you
Vincent:

I did it on my 01 XJR and learned a lot in the process.

They are 2 types of calipers for the front that work, the earlier ones ( what I did) I bought a used set from a Silverstone XK8, are easier because they are a straight bolt on ( they use a caliper to link bracket) and not require tapping the link.
The latest models do not have a bracket and you need to tap the links

The rear do not require ant modifications.
Beside the calipers you need 4 rotors ( about $450 for them), brake lines ( there an after-market kit for XK8 but the front are different), I just had a set made for ther front ($80) and splash shields for the front ($120 for the pair)
The rear shields need to be slightly modified by cutting the lip.
For wheels, some peoples use spacers to be able to use the factory wheels ( Asteroid or Penta) but I went with a set of Milan.
Another wheels option is Tirerack ( $450 for 4 wheels)

It's a great update but it is expensive.
Tell me what your budget is and i will let you know if it is realistic
Luc

Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Luc, thank you for your information but there are a few points you need to explain are the where is your calipers source from ?

I believed
XK8 Silverstone

is the UK-only spec cars.I know our XJR share most parts with XKR. Photo means a thousand words,I hope we will have a chance to see some shoots of your cat.

my budget is optimistically under 2K

Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent661983
Luc, thank you for your information but there are a few points you need to explain are the where is your calipers source from ?

I believed
XK8 Silverstone

is the UK-only spec cars.I know our XJR share most parts with XKR. Photo means a thousand words,I hope we will have a chance to see some shoots of your cat.

my budget is optimistically under 2K
The XKR Siverstone caliper look exactly like the XJR100, sllver with red Jaguar logo but are of the earlier type wih caliper to link bracket.
I got my calipers (used) in the US.
Frankly $2K is not going to do it.

I spent about $4k ( and that is without labor since I id it myself ) on the mod:

Calipers $800
Rotors $450
Brake lines $180
Shields $120
Total: $1550

Wheels:
4 Used Milan $1500
4 new Milan SS trim $700
1 Spare ( tirereack) wheel $120
Total wheels: $2330

Brakes + wheels = $3880

Calipers that fit are very hard to find as well than the Milan wheels

Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I bought 6 pot Alcons and sold the Brembo kit. Rears are fitted, waiting on brackets for the front.
First picture is the kit your looking for, second picture is the x308 front axle they bolt to, these are the holes Luc refered to for cutting a thread to bolt the calipers up..

The earlier version Luc has fitted do not have these bolt lugs cast onto the caliper, they're bolted to adaptors then to the axle. If you buy the early type you can buy Luc a drink for adaptor patterns.

Last picture is the Alcons fitted to the rear of my XJR100. They also require adaptors. Have you a picture of the calipers you have? Don't guess about the brackets, you're in the USA were ANYTHING can be made in billet steel. My adaptors cost roughly the same as Luc.

NEW - PRICEY
http://www.paramount-performance.com...e_Systems.html
http://www.thejaguarshop.com/Jaguar/...01997-2003.htm

Attached Thumbnails cant give up my caliper quest-brembo-kit.jpg   cant give up my caliper quest-front-mount.jpg   cant give up my caliper quest-alcon-rear.jpg  

Last edited by Sean B; 02-20-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: links..
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

You can definitely stay under 2K. Even under 1K. I have. You can also be over 7k if going new.

Just search around for good deals. I found used 05 XKR calipers, rotors and pads with low miles for only $420. Total costs for just the brake swap was $658. Add about $250 for all 4 spacers. You actually need only 2 front spacers to clear the brakes. All under 1K.

It's rare to find such a good deal but not impossible.