XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Can't Open Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can't Open Trunk

I have done my research and am going to try and open mechanically tonight by taking off the license plate and fishing around with a big screwdriver, but am curious why i can't open it any other way...

Back story: I bought the car as a parts car. I tried for only an hour or two to start when purchased and have had it in storage for a year and a half. I am not totally sure, but am pretty sure I had the trunk open before.

Yesterday I trailered the car back to my garage. The battery was dead, but I hooked a battery charger to the connection points under the hood by the fuses. This was enough to get me electric to the ignition. When I turned the ignition on, the trunk release switch wouldn't release the switch. Attempt two, the key (I only got the one ignition key) wouldn't open the latch on the trunk lid. Pressing the button on trunk lid also didn't do anything. Attempt three, the key fob would only make a noise in the engine compartment when i hit the trunk release button on the fob.

So even if I mechanically open the trunk, how will I open in once the battery is charged? Is this an issue of a dead battery? Is this an issue of being in valet mode?

Brian

Old 12-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian, you've gone through the steps... Mechanically opening it is pretty much a sure thing. If you haven't done so, try getting power to the ignition and make sure valet mode is off, unlock the doors then try the button on the trunk. Once you get it open you can adjust the lock mechanism on the trunk to make it operate by key.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 AM

How do I get the valet mode turned off? I was able to get power to the ignition from the points under the hood.

Brian

Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Spray some lube in the keyhole and try it again a few times.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

First, charge the battery from the under hood connections. Assuming it is able to hold a charge unlocking the driver door with a valid black key, not the green key, should disable the valet mode. If the battery won't hold 12v or above you might try jumping it to a good battery. Not to try to start it but to get all the car's electronics happy.

I agree that some lube and jiggle time with the mechanical lock should open the trunk, again if it is a black key.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:57 AM

I got the trunk opened by going through the bottom right hole behind the license plate. In another post, i saw it said to fish in the hole at about the 9 to 10 o'clock position. It only took me a minute or two. I don't know what i tripped, but all of a sudden the trunk popped open.

The key lock on the trunk turns very easy until I get to what i believe is the "end". If this car is a keeper, I will take the cover off to see the back side of this lock mechanism and what it is doing when I turn the key.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Old 12-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Beep777
I have done my research and am going to try and open mechanically tonight by taking off the license plate and fishing around with a big screwdriver, but am curious why i can't open it any other way...

Back story: I bought the car as a parts car. I tried for only an hour or two to start when purchased and have had it in storage for a year and a half. I am not totally sure, but am pretty sure I had the trunk open before.

Yesterday I trailered the car back to my garage. The battery was dead, but I hooked a battery charger to the connection points under the hood by the fuses. This was enough to get me electric to the ignition. When I turned the ignition on, the trunk release switch wouldn't release the switch. Attempt two, the key (I only got the one ignition key) wouldn't open the latch on the trunk lid. Pressing the button on trunk lid also didn't do anything. Attempt three, the key fob would only make a noise in the engine compartment when i hit the trunk release button on the fob.

So even if I mechanically open the trunk, how will I open in once the battery is charged? Is this an issue of a dead battery? Is this an issue of being in valet mode?

Brian
On my 98 XJR, the boot ( trunk ) will not open when the engine is running. Will not open by the release button on the dash or the button on the boot lid.

The remotes do not work when the ignition is on, ( position 2 ), engine run position.

Try with the ignition off.