XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Can't See The Instruments: What's Up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013 | 06:05 PM
|
Default Can't See The Instruments: What's Up?

(this is a re-post from an incorrect forum)

OK, I wear prescription bifocal sunglasses, non-polarized. I can hardly make out the instruments on the '01 XJ during daylight. Since I usually run the edge of LE tolerance, I need to see the instruments.

I read the manual, but saw nothing about backlighting independent of having the headlamps on. I can't imagine I am the only one having this difficulty. So, what am I missing?

Old 09-10-2013 | 03:39 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing.

Instrument panel lights have always been wired to come on with the parking lights and then stay on when advanced to headlights.

It's the same way on the X308.

Old 09-10-2013 | 08:48 AM
|
Default OK, So I Guess It's Me

So I guess I'm the only one with the problem. It looks obvious that there is no back lighting control option absent having the parking or other headlamps on. Oh well.

Old 09-10-2013 | 09:19 AM
GGG

I also wear bifocals and sunglasses to the same prescription when required but never had issues viewing the Instrument Pack in daylight on my X308.

The bulbs do discolour badly with age reducing the brightness and it could be worth checking them. Unfortunately this does require removal of the IP.

Graham

Old 09-10-2013 | 12:28 PM
|
Default Thanks, Graham...

Originally Posted by GGG
I also wear bifocals and sunglasses to the same prescription when required but never had issues viewing the Instrument Pack in daylight on my X308.

The bulbs do discolour badly with age reducing the brightness and it could be worth checking them. Unfortunately this does require removal of the IP.

Graham
I take it from your comment that the IP does have daytime backlighting. Or, in my case, is supposed to?

Old 09-10-2013 | 01:22 PM

There is a dimmer knob on the steering column, I am assuming you have already adjusted this?

Old 09-10-2013 | 01:38 PM
|
Default Dimmer Knob: Yes, But...

Originally Posted by Probesport
There is a dimmer knob on the steering column, I am assuming you have already adjusted this?
The dimmer knob has adjustment when the park / headlamps are on. It does nothing for any daytime backlighting that I can determine.

Old 09-10-2013 | 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

I run side lights (led's) as DRL's or day time running lights, by happy coincidence this lights the instrument pack, with the dimmer clicked right over you should be able to see what you need...question, does it light fully at night, the instrument pack? if not you may need to replace some bulbs. 'How to's' on this job are numerous on this forum, and not as difficult as you'd imagine. Order new bulbs from the nearest Jaguar dealer, there are 8, you may as well replace the lot if carrying out the job.

Old 09-11-2013 | 02:23 PM

I can't see mine either (in the daytime). The numbers are too small for my eyes, and something to do with the distance I am sitting from the cluster (I am 6'3" with LONG legs). My wife's 03 has MUCH bigger numbers, and I can see those without the problem. On my 98, I just memorized where 80mph is, and I can see the needle just fine. If I'm feeling lucky, I let it ride past 80 mark, if not, I am below.

Old 09-11-2013 | 05:28 PM
|
Default IP Backlighting Normal At Night

Originally Posted by Sean B
I run side lights (led's) as DRL's or day time running lights, by happy coincidence this lights the instrument pack, with the dimmer clicked right over you should be able to see what you need...question, does it light fully at night, the instrument pack? if not you may need to replace some bulbs. 'How to's' on this job are numerous on this forum, and not as difficult as you'd imagine. Order new bulbs from the nearest Jaguar dealer, there are 8, you may as well replace the lot if carrying out the job.
No apparent malfunction at night. Dimmer et al appear to operate normally.

Old 09-11-2013 | 05:33 PM
|
Default Thanks...

Originally Posted by danielsand
I can't see mine either (in the daytime). The numbers are too small for my eyes, and something to do with the distance I am sitting from the cluster (I am 6'3" with LONG legs). My wife's 03 has MUCH bigger numbers, and I can see those without the problem. On my 98, I just memorized where 80mph is, and I can see the needle just fine. If I'm feeling lucky, I let it ride past 80 mark, if not, I am below.
I have likewise memorized the 80 MPH position. She is so quiet, it can drift up well past that if I am not careful. I have figured out I'd better use cruise whenever possible!

Old 09-11-2013 | 06:21 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Huntervision
I take it from your comment that the IP does have daytime backlighting. Or, in my case, is supposed to?
YES - it has (or should have) daytime backlighting.

Graham