XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

In Car Phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The phone is digital, not analog. It was offered in a Sprint and a Verizon version. Think the phone lets you know which when you turn it on. The issue with the phone is that it does not meet the e911 fcc regulation adopted back in 2006/2007. If you search online you will read that no provider will activate the phone because of the regulation. That may or may not be true. There is a 5% exception to the rule to allow providers to keep current customers who refuse to upgrade there phones. By now almost everyone has upgraded to a smart phone so there may be some room left in that 5 percent!

Read this link posted a few months ago where someone was able to activate. Might be a loop hole and closed by now but worth a shot if you are serious about activating the phone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/451gss/

A while back I looked into activation and found a few other options.

1. call collect from the phone. dial 0 and hit send. You will be prompted how to call collect.

2. Buy a prepaid phone card for the phone that is designed for non e911 phones. I don't remember the site to buy the card but its out there. Seemed like a pain, had to punch in something like a 17 digit number to use the prepaid card.

3. Only use the phone for 911 calls in an emergency. All phones regardless of how old will still dial 911.

4. Get a Bluetooth kit wired or wireless for the stereo of the car. They are pretty cheap. I bought the one mentioned in other posts of this forum for $15 and had it wired in in less than an hr. If you are not technical get the visor mount kit that is wireless and has to be recharged every so often. It works well

Hope all this helps! Let us know if you get your phone activated and with which provider, think there are a couple out there that can activate online.