XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Car run rich after cleaning MAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Engine die after cleaning MAF.

Hi guys I hope you all doing good in this bad Time . Few days ago engine suddenly died at traffic I turned on it was hasitating at 1k rpm and below so above 1k rpm engine runs fine so I checked for vacuum leak but nothing then I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body with CRC air sensor cleaner I sprayed some holes under the throttle body too . Then I let the sensor dry for while then installed everything back and start engine but nothing until 3rd time and pushed gas pedal to max then engine started was vibrating for seconds then everything okay. Today started engine but car engine die again and show engine stall on the dashboard it has egg smell which I think it runs on rich mixture now engine runs fine but hasitating at low rpms again . What should I look for ? And what to expect to change? Hopefully it's not oxygen sensor because its expensive.

Thank u

Last edited by RA110623; 05-12-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

I'll bet the shudder was from the cleaner burning off.

Simple check to see if its the MAF...while engine is off, disconnect the line to the MAF and start the car. It should immediately go into default to level the fuel trims and air/fuel so the car should run and be able to drive, but not for long distances or for long periods. Its just made to get you to a safe spot. If she runs fine after removing the harness to the MAF, its the MAF. You will get a code for this which you just need to reset.

The following 2 users liked this post by Highhorse:
Don B (05-12-2020), RA110623 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:18 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Hi mobile1,

It is always helpful to remind us of the year, model and engine of your Jaguar, or better yet, add this information to your signature so it appears in all of your posts. This way we can try to give the most accurate replies.

My first question is whether you had recently purchased fuel. Fuel contaminated with water is a common cause of the symptoms you describe.

My second question is have you had the car scanned for diagnostic trouble codes. Usually symptoms like those your car is exhibiting will trigger at least one DTC that may help in the diagnosis.

Let us know any codes you find and we'll try to help.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-12-2020 at 11:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 03:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi mobile1,

It is always helpful to remind us of the year, model and engine of your Jaguar, or better yet, add this information to your signature so it appears in all of your posts. This way we can try to give the most accurate replies.

My first question is whether you had recently purchased fuel. Fuel contaminated with water is a common cause of the symptoms you describe.

My second question is have you had the car scanned for diagnostic trouble codes. Usually symptoms like those your car is exhibiting will trigger at least one DTC that may help in the diagnosis.

Let us know any codes you find and we'll try to help.

Cheers,

Don

I have updated my signature many times I think there's kind of problem in the forum system. My car its 2002 xj8.

Last time added fuel was about 3 weeks ago car was okay at that time but I remember when I changed the fuel filter about year ago the filter was so dirty it was full of dirt I think the injectors not that clean .

I​​​​ checked the car with diagnostic tool but no codes

Don B (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 04:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I'll bet the shudder was from the cleaner burning off.

Simple check to see if its the MAF...while engine is off, disconnect the line to the MAF and start the car. It should immediately go into default to level the fuel trims and air/fuel so the car should run and be able to drive, but not for long distances or for long periods. Its just made to get you to a safe spot. If she runs fine after removing the harness to the MAF, its the MAF. You will get a code for this which you just need to reset.
Thanks I will try it, I have Delphi AF10442 maf sensor which suppose to work the x308 but the car won't start with that Delphi MAF sensor is that mean I should only get the denso MAF sensor?

Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

Originally Posted by mobile1
Thanks I will try it, I have Delphi AF10442 maf sensor which suppose to work the x308 but the car won't start with that Delphi MAF sensor is that mean I should only get the denso MAF sensor?
Many companies make MAF sensors (to include Bosch, Cardone, etcc...) and there is nothing wrong with a Delphi, but a sensor going bad is just that, its gone bad. There is also the possibility if you didn't use a MAF only cleaner, it may have killed the sensor?...or if you did use the correct cleaner, the sensor was already dead. That is what we're trying to determine.

It isn't impossible your fuel filter needs replacement again either. So lets keep that in mind.

In accord to what Don suggested, try some octane boost or fuel antifreeze...alias water remover...alias fuel injector cleaner. Which couldn't hurt in any case.

When was the last time you did your plugs?
You may want to check the coil pack boots for excessive oil residue. If you have that, your spark plug boss seal gaskets are weeping and need replaced, they could be shorting out the spark plug at low RPM.

Don B (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 05:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Many companies make MAF sensors (to include Bosch, Cardone, etcc...) and there is nothing wrong with a Delphi, but a sensor going bad is just that, its gone bad. There is also the possibility if you didn't use a MAF only cleaner, it may have killed the sensor?...or if you did use the correct cleaner, the sensor was already dead. That is what we're trying to determine.

It isn't impossible your fuel filter needs replacement again either. So lets keep that in mind.

In accord to what Don suggested, try some octane boost or fuel antifreeze...alias water remover...alias fuel injector cleaner. Which couldn't hurt in any case.

When was the last time you did your plugs?
You may want to check the coil pack boots for excessive oil residue. If you have that, your spark plug boss seal gaskets are weeping and need replaced, they could be shorting out the spark plug at low RPM.
When I bought the car there was MAF sensor code shown on the diagnostic tool can't remember the code exactly I used the same CRC MAF sensor cleaner spray and cleaned it and it worked. I'm using same spray again but there's no much of change I think the sensor is dying not dead yet haha.

The spark plugs are new less than 10k miles well the ignition coil boots have no cracks but they're loos little bit I tried to install new boots but it was so tight . I will test the ignition coils too

Old 05-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

Okay so I plugged the diagnostic tool and showed misfiring in cylinder number 2 bank b first one and air sensor. I checked the coil unfortunately it was dead thanks god I had brand new after market ignition coil after changing the coil now the engine better but there's vibrations on low rpms I think the MAF sensor is dying

Don B (05-13-2020)