XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Car sometimes won't start in "Park"

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sometimes won't start in "Park"

Hi everybody, I am new here and this is my first post;

I have a 1999 Jaguar XJR wich I am very pleased with. However there is an issue that has been annoying me since I bought the car six years ago and nobody seems to understand what I'm talking about, they probably think I am crazy. This is the problem;
Every now and then the car fails to start. The starter is turning over fine but engine does not start, it's completely dead. This happens maybe every 25th time I try to start the car. After I had owned the car for a year i finally discovered that I could get the car started by putting the gear shift lever in "Neutral" when it wouldn't start in "Park". This works every time. Most of the time it is starting right away in "Park" but sometimes it fails to do so, then I have to start it in "Neutral" instead. This is not a huge problem as long as I am driving the car but when somebody else borrows it or when I turn it in to the repair shop, etc, I always have to tell abut this procedure so that they will know what to do should the car refuse to start.
I cannot understand what can cause this. I know all automatics have a switch to prevent from starting if not in "Neutral" or "Park" but if this swich is faulty, why is the starter turning fine...?... It's like the ignition is being shut off or something... Because when a start attemt has failed and I am forced to start in "Neutral" it takes a little longer than usual to start, the starter has to turn over for a few seconds longer and the engine starts with a little hesitation. This leads me to believe that my failed start attempt in "Park" did shoot gas into the engine but no spark, therefor it's a little bit choked when it finally starts in "Neutral".
What can be causing this problem? Is there a switch in the J-gate assembly that in some cases cuts the ignition but allows the starter to run? Seems really strange to me... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings from Sweden // Johan

Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Hello Johan, I cannot help out in the fix for your automobile but I would like to make a suggestion that you go to the new member area and introduce yourself there.

There are alot of benefits that you don't have access to until you do so, or post 10 times, it has to do with spamming.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Default won't start in Park

I'm having the same problem with my 2001 S-Type. I had a Neutral Safely Switch install in September, but the problem remain (no luck), now the dealer is saying I need a Gear Shift Lever Assembly. Did you resolve your issue? if you did please share your solution.

I'm new to the forum also. I plan to add a post to ask for help.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 AM

I haven't solved the problem yet. I am thinking of replacing the entire J-gate assembly, the problem must be lurking in there. But it would be really nice if somebody could explain what's wrong... It's probably just a switch in the gear lever assembly that needs to be adjusted or replaced...

Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this same issue on my 01 XJ after having Sirius satellite radio installed. I actually took it to the dealer and they did something in the J gate assembly. It only cost me one hour labor. I do not think anything was broke it just needed something aligned/adjusted. My symptoms were identical. It would start for a good while then all of a sudden not start. Put it in neutral and it would start right up.