XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Car is stuck in Anti-Theft mode, or so my Mechanic thinks so

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car is stuck in Anti-Theft mode, or so my Mechanic thinks so

Long story short, I replaced my battery, and thereafter my key fob stopped working and that red led on the shifter always stays on unless engine is running. In result to this, my mechanic believes that the Anti-theft never disarms and is causing my battery to drain (which it does overnight). Unfortunately, i only have a valet key and eversince this has happened, when i use the key to lock the doors, only the drivers door and gas door lock (before the red l.e.d, i was able to lock all doors).

Soooooooo, my main question is, how do i disable the anti-theft system. I already tried the hard reboot with no luck. I also tried to reprogram the key fob 50 times but that didn't work. I really want to avoid the dealer at all costs.

thanks for your time.

EDIT: GOT THIS FIXED> How I did this was removed the Glove Box, Disconnected the harness to the BPM (Body Processing Module), Disconnected the battery and left it disconnected for an hour, Reconnected the harness to BPM, reconnected Battery, and VOILA. Anti-theft is no more. Hopefully someone with the same problem will stumble on this thread and save themselves a lot of time and money.

Last edited by xjrwithproblems; 07-10-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

The intent is that the anti-theft system cannot be disabled. If it can be I'm not sure that is wise to publish that information on a public forum.

Unless you can find a truly sophisticated locksmith I suspect that a dealer visit is in your future. Driving with only a valet key is a sure fire way to get stuck sooner or later.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Ok, I'll ask... Why only the Valet Key?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

When i bought the car, the Previous owner gave me one key. I had no idea it was a valet until i read somewhere that the green key (which is the one I have is the valet).

Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

sorry, its to the dealer for you...for a key and programming. Look on the bright side, the security system is working exactly as it should.

Contact the previous owner, sometimes, keys are found after the sale. I do this all the time when i sell a vehicle.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

Hey i need your help asap please! i have the same problem with my jag, the car is in anti-theft and i cannot get it out! can u go into detail of what u did in the glove box for me please!!!!?????

Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

The BPM is not in the glovebox. It is *behind* the glovebox.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:52 PM
Default Help where is BPM

I changed the starter and had to bump it off to start now my lovely Jag tuukka its stealing itself!!!!! I have a 2002.5 s-type 3.0 I looked behind glovebox but not sure which clip on harness is the correct one. Please help.

QUOTE=xjrwithproblems;220766]Long story short, I replaced my battery, and thereafter my key fob stopped working and that red led on the shifter always stays on unless engine is running. In result to this, my mechanic believes that the Anti-theft never disarms and is causing my battery to drain (which it does overnight). Unfortunately, i only have a valet key and eversince this has happened, when i use the key to lock the doors, only the drivers door and gas door lock (before the red l.e.d, i was able to lock all doors).

Soooooooo, my main question is, how do i disable the anti-theft system. I already tried the hard reboot with no luck. I also tried to reprogram the key fob 50 times but that didn't work. I really want to avoid the dealer at all costs.

thanks for your time.

EDIT: GOT THIS FIXED> How I did this was removed the Glove Box, Disconnected the harness to the BPM (B Module), Disconnected the battery and left it disconnected for an hour, Reconnected the harness to BPM, reconnected Battery, and VOILA. Anti-theft is no more. Hopefully someone with the same problem will stumble on this thread and save themselves a lot of time and money.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-28-2019, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Sometimes on the reboot or hard reset where you bring both disconnected battery cable together for some time takes a longer time like overnight

The BPM is wired as hot at all times so you are reseting it to zero state

This will effect your engine ECU until it relearns it's perimeters

You can use jumper cables to bring the 2 battery cables together with a towal , cardboard box . or the neighbors dead cat to cover the battery post

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-28-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,320 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Lola, you have dragged up a 7 year old post. Most likely the vehicle owners are no longer looking at it.
The post was for an X308 XJR. Your vehicle is an S-Type. You don't have a BPM the model vehicle uses a General Electronic Module.
If you go to JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource you can download the appropriate electrical manual.
It would be best if you follow the link below to the S-Type owners and re-post your question.Please try to provide as much information as to the work you did, why you did it and what is occurring now,
We will be happy to jump in and help with a little more info
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ed-v8-x200-15/

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (08-28-2019)
Old 02-18-2021, 05:54 AM

Can anyone help I changed my ECM in my ignition Chamber from another Jaguar XJ8? 2004 now because I'm car won't turn over or anyting the reason why I did this is because I lost my key. I have the key in the hole emission from the other vehicle. And in my 04, it doesn't have the security lock control module in the trunk that model doesn't have one. What else do I have to do to get my Jag started?

Old 02-18-2021, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,320 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Welcome Tim, just a quick word of caution for the future it is better to always start a new thread than reply to one that is 2 years old. A lot, but not all are no longer members or no longer have an x308. So let's move on. We are going to need a bit more info in order to of help. If I understand your problems started with a lost key. You said you changed the ECM in the ignition chamber. I have to assume you removed the ignition switch and changed it with a replacement for which you have a key . The ECM is a Module located in the engine compartment.
1.Are my assumptions correct?
2. If my assumptions are incorrect provide further clarification.
3. What model year is your jaguar?

If you would like you can send me a Private Message and I continue to try to help.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
Welcome Tim, just a quick word of caution for the future it is better to always start a new thread than reply to one that is 2 years old. A lot, but not all are no longer members or no longer have an x308. So let's move on. We are going to need a bit more info in order to of help. If I understand your problems started with a lost key. You said you changed the ECM in the ignition chamber. I have to assume you removed the ignition switch and changed it with a replacement for which you have a key . The ECM is a Module located in the engine compartment.
1.Are my assumptions correct?
2. If my assumptions are incorrect provide further clarification.
3. What model year is your jaguar?

If you would like you can send me a Private Message and I continue to try to help.
Thank you for responding. I am new to this. And yes, I have all the other components out of the other Jack with the key.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:17 AM

Jag sorry

Old 02-19-2021, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Giddens
Jag sorry
04 jag.