XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Car went to Limp Mode. Probably the TPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down Car went to Limp Mode. Probably the TPS

My wife has a 2005 XJ8. Driving home tonight the car went into limp mode. The display said "Engine System Fault", "Park Brake Fault" and DSC Not Available. I scanned it and got three codes. P0446-Evaporative Emission Control Vent, P2135-Throttle Position Sensor, and the P1111 code which I believe indicates that the system check is completed.

I cleared the codes and the car drove the rest of the way home with out any issues. It is a cool rainy night so the heat has nothing to do with this, as I've read in a couple of other posts.

I replaced the TPS about a year ago with a used one I found online. I think this is probably a TPS issue again, but I'm not sure if the P0446 code is just a symptom of the TPS or if it means something else.

Also, would you suggest replacing the TPS again or replacing the throttle body?

I appreciate your help. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 811 Posts

First, your in the X308 section of the forum. The moderator will move it for you.

Second, how old is the battery? Even marginal batteries cause havoc on our 308's and even more so on your X350. If it's more than 3 years, I'd seriously consider getting a good battery or at least have your tested. Don't just assume because the car starts up that the battery is fine. Has to have proper amps and voltage coming out of the battery during engine cranking to satisfy every computer in the car.

Third, I'd unplug both electrical connectors on the throttle body. Make sure there is no corrosion present and that the broken 2 pin connector (every one of those are broken) gets fastened with a zip tie or a dab of silicone and let dry so it'll stay in place. Make sure all codes are clear again and then perform a hard reset. This all may or may not fix the problem but it's cheaper and it's where I'd start if I was you. If you plan on keeping the car for several more years and the problem reoccurs, I'd consider buying a new throttle body so that it's off your mind. It's been awhile since I've priced a new one for a customer but, I didn't think they were more than $450. I know, still not cheap but it's better than our 308 TB's when bought new.

Edit: I spent 30 seconds on a search and found one for $312 new. I think they might be even cheaper if you do some digging and you have to replace it.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 11-30-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:07 PM

Thank you Addicted2boost. I'll put the battery on the load tester and see what happens with that. If that checks out I'll follow your list and see where that goes.

I did find a new throttle body advertised at $295 so this shouldn't hurt too bad if I need to replace it.

Thanks again!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Default @Addicted2boost

I tested the battery and is was weak. In fact, I had to jump the car to get it started. I replaced the battery and it didn't help. So I checked the connections as you suggested and everything looks solid. I did the hard reset and it ran pretty good for about a mile.

I found a used TPS online for $39 and thought I'd give that a shot. It didn't help. Of course I don't know that the TPS is good. I'm still getting the P2135 code.

Any other suggestions? If not, I guess I'll just suck it up and get the throttle body.