XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

car wont start after auto trans was changed

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start after auto trans was changed

hey fellas ive just removed the auto trans from the bosses 2002 v8 jag, got it sent out to a trans place to have it rebuilt after the torque converter let go and destroyed the transmission.

after putting it all back together in the car connecting all the wires to sensors, topping up coolant and trans oil, finally got around to start it and all that happens is it will turn over but wont start. also getting the gearbox fault code and a restricted performance code on the dash. don't have a scan tool so cant read and reset the codes.

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions that will stop this car from starting?

so far Ive checked and rechecked all connections
changed battery for a good one and charged the battery that was in there
and at the moment am checking all the sparkplugs, what i have found is that one of the plugs was covered in oil and so looks like the rocker cover is leaking oil into the spark plug hole. could that be the cause? just seems weird as its always started fine before. although the car has been sitting on the hoist at work for a few weeks

just doing my head in lol never had a problem i couldn't fix before its so fustrating!!

by the way i am a qualified heavy vehicle mechanic so no backyard job here. only been working on trucks and now at this new job working on forklifts. so all this petrol stuff and electrics is new to me haha!!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. Make sure the rotary switch on the right side of the engine is put on correctly. I put mine with the metal out - this was wrong. Plastic should be out on my model. (98 LHD XJ-8) It sends the gear that it thinks it should be in. Upside down will show incorrect gear and you won't get ignition spark. I chased that for a week. Flipped it over, now OK. Also, you need to make sure the switch matches what the gearshift says. If you put the shifter in neutral, then the switch needs to be adjusted to the neutral position.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems as though you were right there. flipped it over and hey presto it started!! so finished it all off went for a 20min drive, came back turned car off for 10 mins and then started it to get it washed and BAM into limp mode with the gearbox failure warning on and another one code that i ve forgotten!! hopefully taking it to jaguar to see what they can get out of it!!

any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to make sure that the gearshift lever matches the rotary switch. Did it run OK on the 10 min run?? If they didn't match I think you would have gotten gearbox failures immediately. Are you sure they match. The rotary switch only has to move a small amount to shift gears and thus be out of sync with the shifter. Also, will the shifter move to all positions? Does reverse work? Just some things I found when I did mine. You may want to research my 2 posts for more detail.

I would get the codes for sure. Has it been filled according to the spec?? Best of luck.

Jack it up. Start the engine in park. Parking paul in transmission should keep the wheels from moving. Move it into neutral. Should still not move. You can then pull the rotary switch and click it 1 click either way. If you move the switch to drive the wheels should start spinning.