XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

car won't start due to cluster issue... Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default car won't start due to cluster issue... Please help!

Hello to the community!!! I have purchased a 2001 3.2 X308 three month ago to have it as an everyday car. My previous car was a 7 series BMW and it's crazy modern electronics killed me. I figured I'd rather buy an old car and have it fully restored than go for a new model with more complications... Time will tell if I've done a wise choice. Anyways: Idea was to fully rebuild the car. Engine, gearbox, rear train, all bushes and suspensions... You name it: Basically every wearable part has been changed. Starter, alternator, coils, injectors, chains pack, etc. I can't think of something we haven't changed beside MAF and throttle body as those are easily accessible if they fail. Now car is fully reassembled, and.... Tada! Won't start... It appears it's the cluster that blocks everything. We can't diagnose as the computer is off. When we connect the (new of course) battery, all we get is the cluster lit up all the time. It's lit even though key isn't in. Odd thing is it turns off if I brake. When I turn the key nothing happens. It remains lit listing an arm long list of issues. Electrical problem, etc... Engine lights remain off. What lits are: Overall lighting, side lights, head beam and the LCD screen. All fuses have been checked, battery ground cable too. Any clues? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! I don't want that crazy choice of mine to cost me my marriage. Wifey already has to deal with my series 1 XJ so many of you can only imagine how hard I worked not to have to buy an other German car!!!!!! Thanks in advance fellow cat lovers!

Old 10-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Hi jacksjags, did the car run when you purchased it?
...Here's a link you'll want to bookmark... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
...Here's a link from that for the electrical system... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf
...Have you had the dash cluster out and confirmed the connections of the 2 dash cluster umbilical's are seated completely upon reassembly?
...What do you mean "the computer is off", if you have lights, your computer is working.
...Have you checked the parking switch on the trans and the microswitch in the J-gate that determines your in P before starting?

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-27-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:58 AM

hello Highhorse, thank you for taking the time to look into my problem. I haven't checked that gearbox connection: I'll run to the shop tomorrow morning to check that. About the computer I mean the ECU under the hood. The OBD won't read anything. Device won't connect as car is off even though lights are working. Also, today I checked if I have 12v in the two pins feeding the cluster (bottom left of the black plug) and there isn't. Further more the cruise and sport switches on the gearbox have no light. That leads to fuse no 14 in the rear left fuse box. Fuse is good (all are) but no voltage! So there's something before. Troubleshooting isn't easy as it seems there isn't much left to check. I'm worried for some reason my cluster might have lost it's memory in the process. It was removed like all the rest for cleaning and checking. It stayed out for two month. Like most parts as I changed or cleaned everything. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks again!!!!

Old 10-23-2019, 12:10 PM

Oh! And yes: Car was running great!!! I bought it in Brussels and drove it back to Normandy where my mechanic is. Car was powerless and suspensions were really dead, but besides that it was all right. It stayed immobilized for years. I bought it to the widow of the second owner. At disassembly we noticed all was strictly original: Never repaired. Never drained. Oils were absolutely dead. Original tensioners, original guides ready to break... And the gearbox drum was starting to crack. I really was happy I took the decision to restore it right away as it probably wouldn't have lasted a year...

Old 10-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Initially I recommend reviewing the electrical guide, I linked, to trace your connections, to include the gearbox/J-gate switches. Your statement about the gearbox lighting may be a clue?
Being you totally disassembled the car, any electrical connection or landed ground really needs revisited for proper seating.
The security system may be suspect also....to include the key module and key cylinder integrated from the PATS (Passive AntiTheft System).
I can tell you that those dash cluster connections are a must and will prevent vehicle function. Be sure to push in on the pin connectors, they can push out...albeit rarely.

Don B (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 12:34 AM

Could the car be locked by the PATS? If so, can we unlock it or do we have to tow it to a Jaguar garage for them to unlock it? Some functions would work once and not the second time. Like the alarm for instance. Car would accept to lock once. Then open and if I reiterate the operation it would not work. Odd. What really puzzles us is the brake pedal that turns off the dash once pressed. Mileage shows so based on my readings it tells it's still programmed right? I'll check the gearbox and get back to report. I can't open your links on my cellphone, I need to get a proper computer...

Old 10-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

I am not familiar with the PATS overall function, there are those here with more knowledge. Though the first link, you should be able to research it with that and review the wiring interfaces with the 2nd link.
Not knowing your cell phone I guess you'll have to go the long way. Type... JagRepair.com ....then use Site Search, type... x308 electrical guide ....you'll get a list and look for... Jaguar XJ 1998 ...that's the pdf you want.

Last edited by Highhorse; 10-24-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Don B (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 03:08 PM

Got it! Thanks! We checked the gearbox and all is in order. It really looks like my cluster and the ECU don't recognize each other. If no one can give me the magic info we'll just have to tow the car to Jaguar for them to parameter it. That will cost me a fortune... And I really wish to avoid it. Tow alone will exceed 1K. Very painful.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Don't give up, you said it ran to get it home....so this could be just a simple thing.
Something rarely checked, and rarely bad, is the Mega Fuses. If there is something wrong with them, they don't meter for you to know. They are quite cheap and in any case will have one less item of possible issue by replacing them. I had an intermittent dead no start, no power condition I chased for a couple months and found it to be the ground lanyard wire coming off the battery and I had just replaced these when I found that to be the cause.
They are in your spare wheel well toward the fuel tank.

Last edited by Highhorse; 10-24-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Don B (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a pdf of the VCATS control modules used for controlled operation. I'm not including it as an issue source, but a source so you know where these are to verify the connections.

Also, how many keys do you have? If 2, try the second key and let us know what happens.

Attached Files
Old 10-24-2019, 11:45 PM

we checked the mega fuses already... If you think it's better to change them I'll do just that. I'll look at the PDF you sent. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Old 10-24-2019, 11:48 PM

I have two keys. I'm missing the green one. I'll try the other one and keep you posted!!!

Old 10-25-2019, 12:38 AM

Let me remind the symptoms: When we connect the battery: The cluster lights up. No engine lights. Just overall lighting, signal lights and head beams with the list of errors listed after "engine check". No key in yet. If I introduce and turn the key nothing happens. If I press the brake pedal cluster shuts down to normal with only the mileage showing. When I release the pedal it gets back to the previous all lit condition. No radio, no functions on the center panel. Doesn't change if we shift the gear in neutral. Same scenario. All windows work. Seats as well as lights. We checked for 12v at the cluster black plug designated pins: Dead. So we checked fuses 14 and 18 in the rear left box: 14 has no power. When calling Jaguar they said car needs to be reparametered due to the fact cluster was removed... It seems it's not uncommon according to them. But I for one have not read such stories in our beloved forums so I want to hope!!!

Old 10-25-2019, 01:00 AM

What strikes me in the VCAT PDF is that X100 has the cluster listed as programmable and X308 hasn't. This means cluster is not part of a whole in X308. So it shouldn't block the car! At least I think it's logical...

Old 10-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

If your getting all the power to the other sources, your mega fuses are fine and it sounds like your grounds are good also. As far as the X100 and X308 differences, that would be an answer for someone like Motorcarman (Bob) or DonB to answer.
The brake pedal thing is kind of odd and sounds like some wiring in the column could be at fault. Did you take out or move any of the wiring behind the dash cluster?

Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM

The brake pedal thing is VERY odd indeed. Inside, we removed: Steering wheel, cluster, headlining and of course all lights and stuff attached to it, seats and door panels. That's it! Never touched the steering column. Inside was cosmetics only. I'll have the new mega fuses tomorrow. Maybe...

Old 10-26-2019, 05:53 AM

So I changed the mega fuses and so I noticed the ones fitted were not correct. 500A and 175A instead of 2x250A. I haven't noticed it was wrong before... Anyways: Situation is the same. Car won't start still. Cluster is lit and turns off only when I brake... I'm really running out of ideas on what to check or change... Anyone's got a bright idea???

Old 10-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Your European version may call for the 500A and 175A, I would not of thought there would be a difference? I replaced mine with what was existing.
Well, there's only one relay on the brake pedal to check. Its a dual microswitch unit and there's a TSB on it, ... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XJ/206-07%20AM3.pdf
It doesn't match your description, but then again, that's not an oddity for cross referenced issues on the same part.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:53 PM

I think it should be 2x250A as that's what the electrical plan states in the jagrepair PDF for the 2001 models. I'll take out the pedal switch and check it... I don't believe it'll solve my problem but I've got to check for peace of mind!

Old 10-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Try reviewing this starting on Pg 39.... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...2002-20-02.pdf

I couldn't attach it as a pdf for download, it may be too large? But with that link you can download it.

Don B (10-27-2019)

Quick Reply: car won't start due to cluster issue... Please help!