XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Carpet removal procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carpet removal procedure

I am about to get some rust on the floorboards fixed. Of course, to save some money on the labour, I plan to remove the carpets myself.

Is there a procedure for doing so? I've searched for some instruction on this forum but I found nothing.

I'll post some pictures as we go.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Paaaaatience....its a form fitted piece and it goes under the center council, be sure to bag and mark all screws. I would suggest to steam or dry clean it while I had it out, what better time. That you can do yourself or professionally. If done professionally, they may help you pull it out and put it in?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:39 AM

It is precisely the fact that it goes under the center console that has me bothered. I don't know how to remove the console. I can remove the door sill plates with no trouble, but I don't know where all of the screws are for all the bits that need to come out so I am able to remove the carpet. Do the rear seats need to be removed?

That is why I am asking if anyone knows the procedure or can point me in the right direction.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I have listed some links below to probably enough information that you will be comfortable in removing the console. You also need to remove the seat bottom tin the back as the carpet wraps up the heel boards. Item number 3 has a great blow up of the parts involved.
You will also have to remove the radio and trim. It is a straight forward job but be sure to bag/tag and identify the fasteners.

2. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-videos-77768/

3. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...te-trim-92344/

The following users liked this post:
Imanonamas (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Awesome answer. That helps me a lot. Thank you very much, Avern.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:12 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Highhorse Hi, after trying various methods at removing the carpet I was given this tip by David at Southbound Trimmers in the UK....and it is SOOOO easy, no hacking with a knife, no heatgun then burning your hands with molten glue, no little bits of glue stuck to your hands, arms, hair etc....

The secret is to use a steamer! one with a nozzle, and just steam the glue...it comes apart almost by itself with little or no pulling, which saves possible damage to the 10 year old rubber sound deadening.

I removed the whole back section in about 30 mins ish this morning using this method.

just remember to open both doors and sunroof first (unless your lucky enough not to have one) and make sure the car it properly aired and dry after you finnish.

I hope this tip will be as useful to others as it was to me.