XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

CATS stuck in "firm" mode?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 887 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by DJStronkinson
I am likely going to just buy the non-CATS dampers for all fours corners soon, have them installed, and move on to the next thing!
As advised by Eric, also get new large top foam (#5) and the rubber spring seat (#4) for the rear shocks. Other things (foam discs etc.) will come with the shock absorber.

With regard to removal of the rear shock, some mechanics (following the workshop manual) dismantle half of the rear end. This is completely unnecessary. All your mechanic needs to do is remove the four bolts shown on the picture below (great advice from one of the members here) and use a scissor jack, as shown on my earlier pictures, to extend the swing arm sufficiently to release the spring tension and get the shock/spring assembly out (watch the CATS cable). The picture below shows to pry the subframe member somewhat down but I found it unnecessary when using the scissor jack as the swing arm will push the subframe member down as it is jacked down.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
If you change the shocks, be sure you also replace the foam donuts in the rear (available from Rockauto), and the uppers on the front:
Are these the parts you're describing?

Rear donuts: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...0765&jsn=13229
Front right upper mount: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...0765&jsn=13232
Front left upper mount: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...0765&jsn=13235

Any concern using URO Parts brand?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
As advised by Eric, also get new large top foam (#5) and the rubber spring seat (#4) for the rear shocks. Other things (foam discs etc.) will come with the shock absorber.
Ah well this answers my question also - thank you!

Old 02-01-2020, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
With regard to removal of the rear shock, some mechanics (following the workshop manual) dismantle half of the rear end. This is completely unnecessary. All your mechanic needs to do is remove the four bolts shown on the picture below (great advice from one of the members here) and use a scissor jack, as shown on my earlier pictures, to extend the swing arm sufficiently to release the spring tension and get the shock/spring assembly out (watch the CATS cable). The picture below shows to pry the subframe member somewhat down but I found it unnecessary when using the scissor jack as the swing arm will push the subframe member down as it is jacked down.
Although bending the A-frame out of the way works perfect, when I did mine, I removed the whole frame, it is just a couple of bolts more.
It allows for a good clean, a good inspection of the differential, and maybe a differential oil change or breather clean if needed.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:09 PM

Hello again, all - coming back to update this thread after I've resolved my suspension issue.

Sure enough, it was the shock absorbers - front were in rough shape, rears weren't as bad but still on the way out... but we already knew that. So into the nitty gritty. Against my checkbook's better judgement, I chose to replace all four corners with new Bilstein CATS, new bump stops in the front and new spring upper isolators/pigtail spring seats in the rear, as suggested by MS. All this came just after I replaced both motor mounts, transmission mount, and my front and rear sway bar bushings/links. The knocking noise heard in the video turned out to the driver's side half-shaft U-joints... replaced those as well and the knocking is gone. I've had a slow leak from my water pump for a while so I replaced that too. Also changed the oil in my rear differential and cleaned the breather. Needless to say, 2020 has been a lot of fun thus far!

BUT... now this car is spectacular. So quiet and tight - I'm barely feeling any steering wheel feedback/vibrations, even on the nasty roads. Feels like driving a new car and I like it!

Want to thank everyone for their input and advice here, as I could have made some stupid repair decisions if it wasn't for the help from the folks on this thread. Cheers!

The following 5 users liked this post by DJStronkinson:
Carnival Kid (03-05-2020), chris-jag (03-06-2020), Don B (03-05-2020), ericjansen (03-05-2020), Highhorse (03-05-2020)