XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Center console backlighting Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Center console backlighting Q

Quick question; should the center console buttons (HVAC/radio controls) on '99-03 XJR have backlighting? The temperature and radio LCD screens on my car light up, but the buttons stay dark and are impossible to find at night. Is that normal?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Mark

Yep, everything in the centre console should light up at night. I actually think it's a bit overdone, but anyway.

There are probably at least 5, and maybe up to 10 bulbs that are responsible for the illumination of all the buttons, so it seems kind of strange that ALL of yours aren't working.... it kind of suggests a wiring fault somewhere..... anyway, you'll have to take the ski slope off, etc to get behind to where the bulbs are so you can start testing for voltage, etc to see if its just the bulbs or not

Take care

Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I replaced my bulbs when I installed my I-Pod connection. I took a few photos of my install on my xk8 it might help. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairIpodInstall.htm

Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Default backlighting

Thanks for the responses. I have a follow-up question then; should the power window/mirror adjustment module and the clock light up as well?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Clock --> yes
Drivers side switch pack for windows & mirrors --> yes
Passenger side and rear window switches in the doors --> yes, according to the circuit diagrams.... there was another thread on this. Mine don't but others confirm they should.
3 instruments --> yes (obviously)
front/rear fog switch --> yes
trip computer reset switch --> yes
roof console --> yes

Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the confirmation SARC. I guess I should start poking around the wiring then, because everything but the instruments and the radio/AC screen is out.. I am starting to suspect the dimmer switch because it appears to be inoperative; but I don't understand how it could take out all of the interior lights :s

Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

@Mark

I "think" the instrument pack also works through the dimmer at night, so I'm not sure about the dimmer..... ? If you go to the sticky FAQ thread at the top there is a link to download the electrical diagrams for the car. The interior lighting is shown in detail there..... If you are electrically inclined it may help you isolate where your problem is. It appears from a very quick glance that the instrument pack is supplied via a different wire from the other interior lights, most of which all seem to be powered from one common hub. Let us know how you get on....

Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I just replaced my Clock Light Bulb yesterday. But due to the $13 pricetag, I opted for LED instead. I used a 6 volt 300mcd Blue LED and added a 270-Ohm 1/2 watt resister to bring the voltage down. It's slightly brighter, and More Blue, but I like it. I think I'll be swapping ALL bulbs to LED shortly. Total price around $3 (RadioShack) and I'll never need to do this again. (Specs were just for future reference).

At any rate, I also checked the function of all lights while I was there, and here's what I have.

Everything lights up! All switches, gauges, clock, etc...

Door Switch Packs (All 4 doors and all switches):
On with Ignition and Headlights
Dimmer Control Works

Clock:
Dimmer Control Works

Instruments:
On Dim with Ignition Only
Turn on Headlights to add Dimmer Control and Brighter

Dash Buttons:
Dimmer Control Works

AC/Radio:
On with Ignition only
Turn on Lights to add Dimmer Control

Shifter Selector Red Light:
On with Ignition Only

It seems that all the lights you have out need to have Ignition AND Headlights. Maybe your Ignition Switch, Headlight Switch,or your Dimmer Switch like you mentioned. I'm sure someone else will have better input on this.

If you turn your Dimmer Switch all the way forward till it clicks, any change?

Last edited by SuperSport; 04-22-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:47 AM

Thanks SuperSport! Your observations and my (limited) understanding of the schematic make me believe that the failure point is either the dimmer switch (which is completely inop) or, more likely, the dimmer control module.

That's the thing with buying a car in daylight - can't see all the little electrical issues... Not that backlighting is a huge issue, more of an annoyance.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Lightbulb D'oh !

Ok, I admit it, I AM AN IDIOT!
It is about 3 am here and I just had my eureka moment. After reading SuperSport's post I realized that I've never actually tried turning the headlights on.. I was so used to my S-type that automatically turned all the backlighting on when the headlights were set to Auto. So, I just ran out, put the key in the ignition, turned the headlights on - and the whole car lit up like a bloody christmas tree... and now I feel very very dumb

I'm sorry for wasting your time gents

Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

You just made my day! I'm usually the one missing the simple things...

Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

@mark

Not at all. You learned something about your car one way or the other.... thats what its all about. Go search for the thread where we discussed getting ourselves locked in our trunks if it'll make you feel any better :-)

Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Well Done Gus! Once again you've come through for us. I stopped by the dealer today to locate bulbs for the Hazard/ASC/Valet/Door Lock switch on center console, along with a couple others, with no joy. They may find it, but not today. I came home did a search and behold, your link regarding I-Pod install showed bulbs and Packaging. Excellent idea! Thank you.

Any idea on bulbs for the front passenger door window switch, or drivers rear same?

And, one more, the bulb in the back of the round trip computer & fog light switches? These are different from Hazard switch bulbs, I pulled one out.

I'll keep searching.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Call ken at http://www.motorcarsltd.com 1.800.338.5238 He will find the bulbs for you. I think you will find two type of bulbs. The other option is to go to Radio Shack with the bulb you need and match them up. On line Radio Shack is another option but you will need the bulb information. With this option you may need to attach the bulbs to the mount but it should not be a problem and probably cost half the price.